BRM Reviews CHIKARA Anniversario Yin

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews CHIKARA Anniversario Yin

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 24th, '20, 18:28

CHIKARA Anniversario Yin (5/23/2009)- Easton, PA

LOUDEN NOXIOUS SINGS- meh

2.0 PROMO- A good promo that established for us just how much a win would mean to 2.0.

2.0 vs. INCOHERENCE (Hallowicked & Frightmare)- 6.75/10
This is a rematch from Behind the Eight-Ball last month, in which 2.0 picked up their first win after a distraction from Brodie Lee. These two teams had a very good opener, with 2.0’s promo really lending a feel of desperation to everything they did. Without the benefit of a distraction to help them 2.0 lost, not only keeping them at zero points, but also denying them the moral victory of being able to believe that their win last month was due to their own abilities rather than the distraction. After the match, they took out their frustration by elbow-dropping a fan’s hat.

GRIZZLY REDWOOD PROMO- fine

GRIZZLY REDWOOD vs. HYDRA- 4/10
Grizzly Redwood did Grizzly Redwood stuff. He tried to use the Hydra Lock on Hydra. He had to cheat to win with illegal leverage.

EDDIE KINGSTON vs. CREATE-A-WRESTLER- 4.75/10
This was fine for what it was. Kingston won clean. After the match, Kingston pulled a female fan out of the crowd, took her over to the merch table and kissed her. I was not expecting that.

F.I.S.T. vs. JIGSAW & THE FUTURE IS NOW (Lincé Dorado & Helios)- 7.5/10
Great action, including a good finishing sequence mostly between Gran Akuma and Jigsaw playing off of a match they were involved in last month.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Chuck Taylor tried to unmask Helios but Lincé Dorado put a stop to it. TFIN were unhappy with Jigsaw for losing. Jigsaw apologized to them and asked them to please keep their new alliance together. They seemed to agree.

ORDER OF THE NEO-SOLAR TEMPLE PROMO- exceedingly important
As you would expect, UltraMantis Black did the talking, but Crossbones and Delirious were there, too. UMB was in full supervillain mode here.
In addition to gloating about having gotten his “REVENGE!” on Hallowicked for abandoning him in favor of the cheers of the fans so many years ago, UMB also told us that there is a legend that those who keep possession of the Eye of Tyr after using it once (to mind-control someone, as UMB did to Delirious at the previous show) have great misfortune fall upon them…but UltraMantis Black does not believe is such myths, and thus he will keep it. And that decision right there will have major ramifications for all of CHIKARA for years to come.

ARIK CANNON vs. DELIRIOUS (w/UltraMantis Black & Crossbones) (from 5/23)- 5.75/10
This went seven and a half minutes, and did a fine job of getting over the idea of UMB was now controlling Delirious, so mission accomplished.

TIM DONST PROMO- very good babyface stuff, explaining to us the various reasons that a win here would mean so much to him (it’s right near his home town, and STIGMA cost him his chance to be in the main event of the Season Finale last year).

TIM DONST vs. STIGMA- 6.5/10
Donst’s back got worked over. He sold very well and they told a good story with it. He came back and won with the CHIKARA Special, which is always a nice poetic touch to beat STIGMA with.

OSIRIAN PORTAL & LOS ICE CREAMS vs. SUPER SMASH BROTHERS & THE COLONY- 6.5/10
Fine atomicos action.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- very good
Chuck Taylor & Icarus came out and attacked the Colony to give us a good heat segment on the go-home show before tomorrow night’s big mask vs. hair apuesta.

CLAUDIO CASTAGNOLI vs. VIN GERARD (w/STIGMA)- 6.5/10
This was disappointing for a main event, even though the heel finish was executed wonderfully. Claudio did some goofing around with the fans after the match which I guess was supposed to send them home happy, but I’d much rather see him be upset about losing (I’m not sure he knew he was cheated at the time).

This was an okay show from CHIKARA. Its real purpose was treading water in most cases to build to tomorrow night. That UMB promo is historically important and the Donst/STIGMA match was a good payoff, so if you’re a big CHIKARA fan I’d recommend it, but if you’re not a big CHIKARA fan, this is one you can skip.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3