Thelone reviews OVW TV Episode 1137

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
Thelone

Thelone reviews OVW TV Episode 1137

Post by Thelone » May 31st, '21, 17:45

We start with a recap of the Gunn-Herro angle from Defiance.

Announcers are hyping upcoming stuff, then we're backstage with some politician and Hy-Zaya and yeah, I very much stopped caring about this tournament's gimmick at this point. The guy basically cut a babyface promo that didn't fit Hy-Zaya at all.

Atiba (w/ Tony Vanetti) vs. Hy-Zaya (w/ Charles Booker) - **
At one point, Atiba did a flippy leg drop (because of course) and landed ass first on Zaya's face. This was short and Zaya won clean at least.

Post-match, we have a weird "will HZ shake hands with Vanetti?", and Zaya relunctantly agreed. Maybe they're gonna turn him babyface, I don't know. Also Atiba stopped existing here because he wasn't important.

"The Good Word" with Reverend Ronnie Roberts - Decent
This time, Luscious Lawrence is his guest. They're actually doing a storyline out of Myers being his manager during the tournament and not Haley J. Roberts is trying to stir some shit up about Haley overshadowing him and that's why she hasn't been around him lately, but he retorts that she became a champion while they were together and this stuff with Myers is just business. A LOUD Tony Bizo appeared on the SnowTron to cut a promo on Luscious, but he was cut almost immediately by Haley J who took Bizo's microphone and ranted a bit about Luscious, then challenged him to take on Bizo later without her in his corner, then she slapped Bizo's ass. Luscious vowed to kick his ass tonight. This was a bit abrupt, but fine overall.

Snow has reinstated Herro as a wrestler earlier tonight because Gunn demanded it, and also... had a match right after? That Herro won totally clean? And he got his stuff back? Well so much for that storyline then.

Backstage with Gunn who just said he was gonna end Herro. Oh, and he's also in the tournament somehow, despite not being a wrestler when the brackets were revealed.

Arie Alexander vs. Haley J (c) - **1/2
Hey, we finally have a women's title defense. Finish saw Haley going for her belt after Alexander hit her finisher (I suppose?), then she snatched it from her hands, then the referee took it and while she was putting it away, Haley took a sock (full of rocks according to the main announcer) and knocked out Alexander for the win. This was pretty good, although Haley was slightly limping during most of the match after an awkward schoolgirl.

Jake Omen (w/ JD Shelburne) vs. Kal Herro (w/ Maria Montgomery) - ***
Former Miss Kentucky, huh? I can see why. Anyway, I like that Omen guy, his shit looks good and crisp. Gunn came out at one point, attacked Shelburne and took his guitar, then he got on the apron and was about to attack Herro, but Montgomery took the guitar from his hand. Herro hit Omen with a knee strike for the win.

So Flo vs. Amir will be the main event of the next special already. Oh, Amir beat Steve Daniels earlier tonight, and that was the last member of LOB.

Tony Bizo (w/ Ricky Jones) vs. Luscious Lawrence - **1/2
Bizo still has his tournament manager. I do appreciate that some of them are being used on the show (even indirectly with Myers), not just trotted out for the tournament and do a token spot. Anyway, Lawrence attacked Bizo before the bell rang, then Bizo took over and dominated for most of the match while being overly cocky again. Luscious went back on offense after a while and hit his finisher on Bizo, but Haley J came out with a box of chocolate and... a teddy bear for some reason. Luscious took the bear and a piece of chocolate but while he was hugging Haley, she knocked him out with the (disgusting looking) sock and Bizo pinned him for the win.

Post-match, all three posed.

Well that was pretty good and things are moving forward at least, but I'd argue that it is too fast. Yeah, the announcers kinda mentioned in passing that Haley might get jealous of Myers in the future, but that was less than a week ago and really hasn't been built up in any way. Same with Herro getting his revenge on Gunn two seconds after he's back on the roster and not even on a "live" segment. I mean, you have another special at the end of the month, did you really need to rush that one this quickly? Weird babyface-ish Hy-Zaya also came out of nowhere, but I'll wait a little bit on that one.