Thelone reviews OVW TV Episode 1142

PWG, MLW, AAW, WWN, etc
Thelone

Thelone reviews OVW TV Episode 1142

Post by Thelone » Jul 5th, '21, 09:04

This whole FITE thing last week made me realize that they actually have a two-hour version of the TV show there for free, and it's available the day of the airing (on thursdays), but... I really can't be bothered to watch this version and will stick with the one-hour Youtube version instead. SInce I didn't watch the special and we're straight into a match here, let's see what happened at Chained Carnage :
  • FIVE tournament matches with no real surprises (Gunn, Shera, Flo, Roberts and and the only mild surprise Drew Hernandez moved on to the quarterfinals)
  • Bizo beat Luscious
  • Facade won a completely random match against AJ Daniels
  • Mo beat Haley J for the women's title
  • Pope won by DQ against Godderz, so I guess Corgan still has some kind of control over his champions
  • Amir regained the heavyweight title from Flo (who wrestled two matches on the show, how... babyface-ish of him?) in the DEATH MATCH OF DOOM with no blood apparently
So yeah, that's definitely a show that happened.

Tony Bizo (w/ Ricky Jones & Haley J) vs. Tony Evans (w/ Tyler Gooch) - **
Evans got rid of... whoever was all over him in the first round (Etta May, there you go). Oh joy, a rematch between Mo and Haley J later tonight. Bizo won to the surprise of no one.

"Move of the week" (or whatever this is) was Flo's manager doing a stunner to Dimes during his tournament match.

"The Good Word" with Reverend Ronnie Roberts - A bit pointless, but alright
Roberts took a long time to introduce Amir as his guest tonight. He kinda didn't say much to be honest besides recapping his feud with LOB yet again, but him and Roberts have good chemistry so it was pretty entertaining anyway. He also said that he'll defend the title and take on anybody in the future. Please don't make it another open challenge deal.

Ok, how many fucking sponsored segments are we gonna get on this show? Now we have ANOTHER "Money move of the week" (from a law firm this time), which is Luscious distracting Haley J during her title match and Mo rolling her up for the win.

Dani Mo (c) vs. Haley J (w/ Tony Bizo) - *
Don't you just love when the champion comes out first for no reason whatsoever? Anyway, this was yet another slow, awkward match. At one point, Mo hit the Michinoku Driver on Haley and got a visual pin on her, but Bizo was distracting the referee. Haley brought her sock of rocks and knocked Mo out to regain the title. Well so much for Dani Mo and her 5-day reign then.

I guess they might go for a mixed feud since Dani is dating Facade who's been around lately, but... I kinda don't care to be brutally honest. I get that it's a chicken and egg situation because those women won't improve much if you don't feature them on TV, but they're so much worse than anything else on the show that they're dragging it down whenever they're on. To be fair, I think it's more this random Dani Mo monster push (she actually debuted on episode 1134, LESS THAN TWO MONTHS AGO) that's pissing me off more than the whole division itself, but hey.

The Wanderer vs. Mahabali Shera - Squash, kinda
Well that's...a strange "outfit" on Wanderer here who's wearing a vest with a bunch of license plates on it. Anyway, Wanderer beat up Shera on the outside for a while, then the match finally started when they got back in the ring and... Shera pretty much no sold everything and won with his finisher. Is this winning streak going anywhere? He's still in the tournament I suppose, but that seems like a waste to have him lose his first match in a tournament for a third tier belt.

Kennison and Shannon are hyping the replay of the special and OVW's SoCiAl MeDiA, and... it's already the main event?

Star Rider (w/ Ramel Bradley & Lukasz Orbzut) vs. Luscious Lawrence (w/ Kindly Myers) - **1/2
Oh, I see what you're doing OVW (the video thumbnail was a big giveaway), but I won't be complaining about twenty minutes of Ms. Myers on my screen. Well, there will be that pesky wrestling thing going on in the ring, but she's a plus. They're definitely going long with this match (that's what she says, ok I'll stop now), which is surprising considering even big title matches on specials rarely go above ten minutes. It was a classic power vs. speed, then the tall "celebrity" guy came to the ring while the other was busy with the referee so Rider can climb on his shoulders and do a really big splash on Luscious. The ref saw tall guy in the ring and told him to leave but while he was now busy with him, Haley came out with her sock to knock Lawrence out, but Myers took it before any damage could be done and pushed Haley away. Lawrence hit his finisher for the win.

A decent enough follow-up to the special, although I'm hoping for some fresher blood and shuffling in the near future.