ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Final Battle 2016 Hype

Post by cero2k » Jul 19th, '16, 23:54

I know we're still half a year away from this show, but at this point I can't think of a feud that would be deserving of a Final Battle moniker. I don't feel Cole vs Lethal should happen there

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 20th, '16, 01:02

cero2k wrote:I know we're still half a year away from this show, but at this point I can't think of a feud that would be deserving of a Final Battle moniker. I don't feel Cole vs Lethal should happen there
Maybe Kyle taking the belt from Cole.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '16, 11:26

Kevin Kelly announced in an ROH Update video on YouTube that Dragon Lee will challenge for the TV Title at Final Battle. The match should be great, but for a PPV they should really be giving the shot to someone who feels like he actually has a chance of winning it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 20th, '16, 11:40

Big Red Machine wrote:Kevin Kelly announced in an ROH Update video on YouTube that Dragon Lee will challenge for the TV Title at Final Battle. The match should be great, but for a PPV they should really be giving the shot to someone who feels like he actually has a chance of winning it.
or you know, someone with an actual feud/storyline

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '16, 11:48

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Kevin Kelly announced in an ROH Update video on YouTube that Dragon Lee will challenge for the TV Title at Final Battle. The match should be great, but for a PPV they should really be giving the shot to someone who feels like he actually has a chance of winning it.
or you know, someone with an actual feud/storyline
Yeah. It's baffling to me that they didn't give Page the Final Battle title shot and set a defense up against Dragon Lee at a house show (SOTF night 1 would be a great time to do this) and also blow it off at a later house show. And if the guy can only come in for the ASE and FB weekends, then don't give him a title shot at all.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 20th, '16, 11:54

I know everyone loves to see the 'clash of styles' matches, but I really wish ROH would just book 1 CMLL guy vs CMLL guy match, especially in a show like Final Battle or GBH where it would look like an important match, hell bring Volador and make it for his title, I feel that with a style so particular like Lucha you need to do something like this to properly showcase the style once and then bring it in against your guys

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '16, 13:49

cero2k wrote:I know everyone loves to see the 'clash of styles' matches, but I really wish ROH would just book 1 CMLL guy vs CMLL guy match, especially in a show like Final Battle or GBH where it would look like an important match, hell bring Volador and make it for his title, I feel that with a style so particular like Lucha you need to do something like this to properly showcase the style once and then bring it in against your guys
I agree that that is necessary with Lucha, but that's why I really don't think bringing in the CMLL guys is a good idea. There is no reason to waste your precious PPV or TV time with a match that doesn't do anything for one of your guys. They're great to showcase on the house shows, but they shouldn't be eating up spots on TV and PPV. Obviously you can make an exception for something cool and crazy like Ospreay vs. Volador Jr., but even then I still wouldn't put it on TV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 20th, '16, 14:12

Big Red Machine wrote:
cero2k wrote:I know everyone loves to see the 'clash of styles' matches, but I really wish ROH would just book 1 CMLL guy vs CMLL guy match, especially in a show like Final Battle or GBH where it would look like an important match, hell bring Volador and make it for his title, I feel that with a style so particular like Lucha you need to do something like this to properly showcase the style once and then bring it in against your guys
I agree that that is necessary with Lucha, but that's why I really don't think bringing in the CMLL guys is a good idea. There is no reason to waste your precious PPV or TV time with a match that doesn't do anything for one of your guys. They're great to showcase on the house shows, but they shouldn't be eating up spots on TV and PPV. Obviously you can make an exception for something cool and crazy like Ospreay vs. Volador Jr., but even then I still wouldn't put it on TV.
well, it depends on the card sometimes. if you ask me whether to do a one off match with CMLL guys at Final Battle, or do Cheeseburger/Ferrara vs BCB/Silas, I will go to for the Lucha match. Or in two night shows like GBH, was Jay White vs Dijak that important? at this point the CMLL thing does seem like extra stuff to pile up on the already loaded show, I'm not sure when is ROH gonna try and get something out of it other than having Matt Taven over there.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '16, 14:33

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
well, it depends on the card sometimes. if you ask me whether to do a one off match with CMLL guys at Final Battle, or do Cheeseburger/Ferrara vs BCB/Silas, I will go to for the Lucha match. Or in two night shows like GBH, was Jay White vs Dijak that important? at this point the CMLL thing does seem like extra stuff to pile up on the already loaded show, I'm not sure when is ROH gonna try and get something out of it other than having Matt Taven over there.
If the choices are Ferrara & Cheeseburger vs. BCB & Silas or a Lucha match, the correct choice is neither. Every match on your PPV should have a storyline purpose. If it doesn't then it's a waste of time, and that's not something you can afford when you are charging people $35 for these shows and you desperately need buzz. For a company like ROH (or hypothetically for a full-price traditional cable EVOLVE or PWG or SHIMMER PPV) where they're really pushed workrate as a draw It's okay to occasionally have a PPV match whose only purpose is to be an awesome match with no real storyline purpose, but if you're going to do that you should make sure that (at least) one of your guys gets the buzz for having been a key part of that match. Angel de Oro vs. Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV doesn't help ROH anywhere near as much as Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV against ACH or Matt Sydal or Christoper Daniels.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 20th, '16, 14:38

Big Red Machine wrote: Angel de Oro vs. Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV doesn't help ROH anywhere near as much as Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV against ACH or Matt Sydal or Christoper Daniels.
i totally agree with this, but that's why I had the original point as to show off 1 CMLL vs CMLL guy or 3-on-3 match as an introduction to the promotion and make it feel more as another promotion working with ROH, not just guys coming in for random matches against our guys where you know the ROH guys are gonna win anyway. I'm not saying all the time, but a one time match to properly announce that CMLL and ROH have a relation now, after seeing all those 6 guys kill it one night, when you start mixing them up with the ROH guys

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 20th, '16, 15:18

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Angel de Oro vs. Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV doesn't help ROH anywhere near as much as Volador Jr. tearing it up on an ROH PPV against ACH or Matt Sydal or Christoper Daniels.
i totally agree with this, but that's why I had the original point as to show off 1 CMLL vs CMLL guy or 3-on-3 match as an introduction to the promotion and make it feel more as another promotion working with ROH, not just guys coming in for random matches against our guys where you know the ROH guys are gonna win anyway. I'm not saying all the time, but a one time match to properly announce that CMLL and ROH have a relation now, after seeing all those 6 guys kill it one night, when you start mixing them up with the ROH guys
I don't think that pushing the idea that ROH is working with CMLL the way ROH is working with New Japan is really all that helpful. I'd rather they just say that "ROH is bringing in some of the best luchadors in the world' and essentially pretend that these guys are an occasional part of the ROH roster the way that Roppongi Vice has been used in the tag team division. By contract they are New Japan guys, but they've been in a lot more often than the Okadas of the world and they were in before the partnership really started to get pushed, so they feel like they're part of both rosters. I'd bring pick some guys to bring in when I can and I'd try my best to give them programs and treat them like they're a real part of the ROH roster.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 4th, '16, 14:06

Liger coming in. My guess is that he jobs to Cody as it doesn't seem like ROH has any sort of firm commitment from Cody for more than just the one show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 14th, '16, 08:41

Silas vs. Liger. Meh.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 20th, '16, 21:17

Lethal vs Cody Rhodes!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 23rd, '16, 10:14

after all those title changes last week, we now have a title match set for Final Battle

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 23rd, '16, 10:42

Makes sense. The final match on the card will almost certainly be MCMG & Dijak vs. Caprice, Rhett, & Kenny after what happened at SOTF Night 2, which is unfortunate because ROH really should limit themselves to just seven matches per PPV.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 29th, '16, 10:18

They just announced two shows in Texas (Undisputed Legacy on Feb. 3 in San Antonio and Honor Reigns Supreme on Feb. 4 in Dallas) that are being built around Cody, so it looks like he'll be here for more than just the one show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation