ROH video wire 3-16-11

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
cero2k
Site Admin

ROH video wire 3-16-11

Post by cero2k » Mar 16th, '11, 22:09

[youtube][/youtube]
great promo by Corino, good ones from Roddy, Davey, Bennett, and Edwards. Kinda iffy on the embassy one.

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH video wire 3-16-11

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 17th, '11, 05:19

Everyone was great except for the Embassy. They are boring has hell, now. If we weren't excited about them when it consisted of guys who actually mattered like Rave, Stevens, and Necro, how the hell are we supposed to care about them when it is a bunch of nobodies (and the Mia Yim gimmick change irritates me- not that she had a gimmick before, but she just doesn't fit. I don't buy her as any sort of princess. They should have brought in Ariel. Or even Rain [hell, I'd take any excuse to see Rain booked more in ROH]).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 17th, '11, 08:58

I'm actually surprised that after so may years, the embassy is still "relevant". it's had it's ups and downs, yet ROH never gets rid of Nana or the stable. They really need someone to feud with like they used to in the past

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 17th, '11, 13:27

cero2k wrote:I'm actually surprised that after so may years, the embassy is still "relevant". it's had it's ups and downs, yet ROH never gets rid of Nana or the stable. They really need someone to feud with like they used to in the past
They got rid of it for like, two years. It came back in early 2009, and it sucked. Having someone to feud with isn't the issue. They were feuding with Albright, Cabana, Grizz, & Necro... then Kingston, too, then SkullKrusher, then they even got Necro to join... the stable just isn't good anymore. Rave was a great heel, as was Shelley, and it was those two, plus the constant threat of Abyss that made the stable work. Nana was a good background character, who provided comedy and some heel managing, but that's it. There is a reason that no one thinks of Xavier or Joey Ryan or Sal Rinauro when they think of the Embassy. Because they weren't important at all. It takes a lot of talent and good booking to make a group like that work. People get bored of heel stable beatdowns, so you need to do things to keep it fresh. Pearce couldn't do that (hell, during his entire run, the Embassy produced TWO match worth checking out: The Rave-Necro Dog Collar match and the Albright-Claudio Cage match blowoff). Delirious is trying, but he will fail, too, because no one cares about the group. They are stale. I was there at the Seventh Anniversary Show when Rave returned and the Embassy was officially reformed with Nana, Rave, & Bison Smith. The crowd was hot as hell for it. It took us no less than eight seconds to stop chanting "WELCOME BACK!" and start chanting "DIE JIMMY DIE!" All of their momentum got squandered by bad booking (mostly due to wanting to get Necro and Cabana over on the TV show), which forced them to become midcard jobbers, which is what they all became.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Mar 17th, '11, 17:16

I like the Embassy bc of their lameness; I remember REALLY hating Rave when I first started watching. Not bc he wasn't a good wrestler; it was something I couldn't really explain. I just hated him, lol. There's something about the Embassy that makes me happy that they're around. Usually, the fans hate them enough to at least KINDA get behind the babyfaces who they go up against.....