BRM Reviews ROH End Of An Age

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH End Of An Age

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 24th, '11, 14:42

ROH End of an Age (6/27/2009)- Chicago, IL

SIX MAN MAYHEM: Rhett Titus vs. Delirious vs. Sami Callihan vs. Silas Young vs. Egotistico Fantastico vs. “Sugarfoot” Alex Payne- 5.5/10. Taco Pizza is awesome. You can really see how much Ego has grown in the past two years. Not that he was bad here, but he definitely wasn’t his current self.

ERICK STEVENS vs. RASCHE BROWN- 5.5/10

RIC FLAIR APPEARANCE-

PETEY WILLIAMS vs. KENNY KING (w/Rhett Titus)- 6/10. Felt like it should have been more exciting but wasn’t.

TYTLER BLACK vs. KENTA- 9/10.

AOTF ANGLE- DUD! after this match, about 10 masked Age of the Fall guys and Jimmy Jacobs stormed the ring and beat Tyler down. Then they had the thing hold the belts for ladder matches lowered and were going to tie Tyler to it and hang him upside down like they did to Jay Briscoe when they debuted back at Man Up. Steen & Generico comes out and make the save and they beat down Jimmy and the AOTF guys and free Tyler. Then they all tie Jimmy to the belt-hook thing, and Delirious grabs the controls and lifts Jimmy up. Tyler says that “The Age of the Fall… is dead.” The babyfaces leave the ring and ROH officials come and get Jimmy down. Jimmy then yells at the AOTF lackeys “WHY DIDN’T YOU HELP ME?” They all walk out on him, and Jimmy leaves the arena.

There were so many things wrong here. Steen & Generico were bad choices to stop the hanging. Necro Butcher & the Briscoes would have been much better choices. If they couldn’t book those guys for this show… DON’T DO THE ANGLE ON THIS SHOW! Do it at Death Before Dishonor or something. Yeah, I know, it started in Chicago… but that doesn’t mean it HAS to end in Chicago.

There were FORTY AOTF guys last night, who hand-surfed Jimmy out of the building… and in 24 hours, they have lost their faith in him? Really?

STREET FIGHT: Colt Cabana & Brent Albright vs. Claudio Castagnoli & Joey Ryan (w/Prince Nana & Ernie Osiris)- 6/10. Not great, but not bad.

RODERICK STRONG vs. D’LO BROWN- 5.75/10

AMERICAN WOLVES (w/Shane Hagadorn) vs. KEVIN STEEN & EL GENERICO- 8/10. Some really cool stuff in this match.
- If the Wolves win, Steenerico can’t challenge for the belts for the rest of their reign
- If Steenerico win, they can choose the stip of their next title shot.

ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries(c) vs. Nigel McGuinness- 8/10
GREAT back and forth between these two at the beginning of this match.

Overall, this was a very good show, with three matches that you should go out of your way to see, but the rest of the card doesn’t deliver at all.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews ROH End Of An Age

Post by cero2k » Mar 24th, '11, 16:06

Big Red Machine wrote:
AOTF ANGLE- DUD! after this match, about 10 masked Age of the Fall guys and Jimmy Jacobs stormed the ring and beat Tyler down. Then they had the thing hold the belts for ladder matches lowered and were going to tie Tyler to it and hang him upside down like they did to Jay Briscoe when they debuted back at Man Up. Steen & Generico comes out and make the save and they beat down Jimmy and the AOTF guys and free Tyler. Then they all tie Jimmy to the belt-hook thing, and Delirious grabs the controls and lifts Jimmy up. Tyler says that “The Age of the Fall… is dead.” The babyfaces leave the ring and ROH officials come and get Jimmy down. Jimmy then yells at the AOTF lackeys “WHY DIDN’T YOU HELP ME?” They all walk out on him, and Jimmy leaves the arena.

There were so many things wrong here. Steen & Generico were bad choices to stop the hanging. Necro Butcher & the Briscoes would have been much better choices. If they couldn’t book those guys for this show… DON’T DO THE ANGLE ON THIS SHOW! Do it at Death Before Dishonor or something. Yeah, I know, it started in Chicago… but that doesn’t mean it HAS to end in Chicago.

There were FORTY AOTF guys last night, who hand-surfed Jimmy out of the building… and in 24 hours, they have lost their faith in him? Really?
This was the first time I've seen the ROH fans chant something like "DISAPPOINTMENT", i can't stop agreeing with them. I had personally felt that the Age had been going down, especially since Jimmy and Tyler started to break apart, but at the end, you would wish that Tyler and Jimmy would go all out and that they would use that match as the "End of the Age" segment. And i completely agree, Steenerico wasn't a good choice to help out Tyler.
Big Red Machine wrote: RODERICK STRONG vs. D’LO BROWN- 5.75/10
can't remember the last time i saw someone go toe to toe with Knife Chops agaisnt Roddy
Big Red Machine wrote: ROH WORLD TITLE MATCH: Austin Aries(c) vs. Nigel McGuinness- 8/10
GREAT back and forth between these two at the beginning of this match.
I definitely loved the story that Nigel shouldn't be using the Lariat.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 24th, '11, 16:10

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:

This was the first time I've seen the ROH fans chant something like "DISAPPOINTMENT", i can't stop agreeing with them. I had personally felt that the Age had been going down, especially since Jimmy and Tyler started to break apart, but at the end, you would wish that Tyler and Jimmy would go all out and that they would use that match as the "End of the Age" segment. And i completely agree, Steenerico wasn't a good choice to help out Tyler.
The "Disappointment" chants were aimed at Jimmy, not the angle. A few shows back (either A Cut Above or The Homecoming II, I think) Tyler had called Jimm a disappointment, and the chant stuck.

If you wnat bad, watch the end of Injustice II when there were chants of "FIRE PEARCE!"

My personal favotire was at the end of Battle For Supremacy after the ROH vs. NWA Title vs. Title match, when it looked like Nigel had won, but Pearce invoked the old "Throwing someone over the top rope is a DQ" rule to nullify the decision. People were actually chanting "DUSTY FINISH!"

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Mar 24th, '11, 16:16

Big Red Machine wrote:
The "Disappointment" chants were aimed at Jimmy, not the angle. A few shows back (either A Cut Above or The Homecoming II, I think) Tyler had called Jimm a disappointment, and the chant stuck.
oh ok, I haven't seen either shows, i did think they (as was I) were disappointed on how they decided to kill the Angle/Feud/Age.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 24th, '11, 16:21

cero2k wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
oh ok, I haven't seen either shows, i did think they (as was I) were disappointed on how they decided to kill the Angle/Feud/Age.
Understandable. A Cut Above is acually worth checking out (or so I'm told). Roddy vs. Lynn was very good, and it aslo has Jay & Steen vs. DCFC, Tyler vs. Davey, & Dragon vs. Eddie Edwards.

It isn't near the top of my list, but it is on it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation