BRM Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (bad)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » May 2nd, '19, 16:04

NWA/ROH Crockett Cup 2019 (4/27/2019)- Concord, NC

CROCKETT CUP 2019 QUALIFYING BATTLE ROYALE- 0.25/10
We’ve got seven teams in this tiny ring. Rhett Titus is here to be a clown and do a posing routine while everyone gets annoyed, then immediately get eliminated by the Boys. Why did they even book him and Ferrara for this show is this was all they were going to do? It’s not like they have any credibility as a team or anyone thought they had a snowball’s chance of winning. Stuff happened and people were eliminated. Once you saw Latimer & Royce bump into each other and tumble through the middle rope, you knew what the finish was going to be, and doubly so once The Boys got were the only team left standing. Can I please get a battle royale without this cliché bullsh*t? And who the hell thought it was a good idea to make Royce & Latimer look like such chumps if they were going to go as far as they did?

CROCKETT CUP 2019 QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Guerrero Maya Jr. & Stuka Jr. vs. Flip Gordon & Bandido- 6.75/10
Lots of athletic stuff happened without too much rhyme or reason to it. The luchadores used a wonderfully wacky double-team submission that I had never seen before. Flip & Bandido won because… well… did you actually expect the random pairing of two CMLL midcarders to go anywhere?

CROCKETT CUP 2019 QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Tom Latimer & Isaac Royce vs. War Kings (Jax Dane & Crimson)- 4.5/10
On the one hand I appreciate Dane selling after doing the headbutts, but on the other hand, if headbutting your opponent hurts you so much, then why are you headbutting the opponent instead of just throwing forearms? Dane’s comeback was good, but Crimson, well… now I remember why no one cared about him during his TNA run and he didn’t get over despite going undefeated for fifteen months. FKA Bram and his buddy got a heel win after slamming an opponent’s leg into the ringpost and then a pin with illegal leverage via the ropes.

JIM CORNETTE INTERVIEWS THE ROCK N’ ROLL EXPRESS- Good set-up for the match and a good babyface promo by Ricky. The Briscoe same out and offered Ricky & Robert the chance to forfeit the match and leave with their dignities and bodies intact. The RnRs responded by throwing hands, setting off their…

CROCKETT CUP 2019 QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Rock N’ Roll Express vs. the Briscoes- 2/10
Yeah, yeah, yeah, the crowd loved it because the Rock N’ Roll Express are all-time legends, etc. etc., but I’m sorry; not for one moment could I buy that these two sexagenarians had snowball’s chance in hell of even SURVIVING a match against the f*cking BRISCOES. Most of the heat was punch-kick stuff, and a sixty-year-old Robert Gibson running wild on the Briscoes was only slightly more believably to me than Joey Ryan’s opponents’ hands being magnetically attracted to his penis.

CROCKETT CUP 2019 QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Satoshi Kojima & Yuji Nagata vs. Villain Enterprises (Brody King & PCO)- 7.25/10
I assume that this will be the only non-battle royale match Nagata wrestles all year in which he is not the oldest participant.
This was easily the best match on the show so far. This is definitely not a match-up that I saw any real potential for cool moments in (by which I mean a visceral type of cool, not “that spot was so cool), but gosh darn it they managed to create some. PCO really shined for me here in a way he really hasn’t since his recent career renaissance, which was with his selling. He did an absolutely wonderful jobbing of selling in a way that works perfectly for his gimmick, knowing when to do the exaggerated stumbling and when to just plain no-sell, or when to take the damage then build up to sitting back up. The other three were great, too, but PCO was the real star here for me.
One nit I must pick is with the camerawork, and specifically the decision to zoom in on Yuji Nagata doing his eye thing when he had the seated Fujiwara Armbar locked in and then stay on him. I get that the eye thing is cool, but they absolutely should not have stayed zoomed in on him. Because they did so, we couldn’t see his opponent agonizing in the hold and struggling to resist tapping out, and we couldn’t see the exciting situation of PCO fighting his way through Kojima to get to Nagata so he could attack him to break the hold on King.

MADUSA PROMO- She’s here to award the belt to whoever becomes the new NWA World Women’s Champion. Her promo was very good. When she came out, Ian Riccaboni called her a “trailblazer.” Can we please avoid suing WWE buzzwords? It both makes the promotion look second rate because they’re following WWE’s dictates on diction, but also because those words have essentially become tainted with the WWE announcer stink, and part of the fun of watching other promotions is hearing a wrestling show called without that pervasive and unpleasant odor.

SINGLES MATCH FOR THE VACANT NWA WORLD WOMEN’S TITLE: Allisyn Kay vs. Santana Garrett- 5.5/10
This was shorter than I was expecting at only eight minutes or so and I wasn’t into it early on at all (a head vise? Really?) but they got me into it by the end. The story was Kay working over Santana’s head and neck, and got the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- fine
Kay snatched the belt out of Madusa’s hand, then snubbed Santana’s offer of a handshake.

THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS ARE ALL TOGETHER- Meh. ROH did this in 2004 (no points for guessing which show it might have happened at). It was special then because it hadn’t happened in fifteen years. Now it’s just more nostalgia. I know that this show is all about nostalgia, but the selling point are the matches. We already got the Rock N’ Roll Express essentially filling this same role. This was just a waste of time.

CROCKETT CUP 2019 SEMIFINAL MATCH: Flip Gordon & Bandido vs. Isaac Royce & Tom Latimer- 4/10
For those of you wondering how important the Crockett Cup is, Bandido was about to do a big dive onto Royce & Latimer, but Flip Gordon stopped him so they could do a dance. I was astounded that Jim Cornette managed to control himself on commentary. I certainly had trouble doing so while watching the match. Fortunately for the babyfaces, this waste of time didn’t come back to bite them because the heels were distracted when Madusa (who was still at ringside) came over to whisper something to them, then left… so I’m betting that they’re going to win this match and she is going to come out and help them win the tournament finals.
The heels got the heat when Flip hit a 450 but hurt his knee in the process. The traditional heel cheating element to this was Latimer running into the ring to drag Royce back to their corner so he could tag himself in and take advantage of the injured Flip. That was certainly different. He then rolled Flip up and pinned him, so I guess “work the knee over, then do a stacking pin” is a spot to keep in mind for the finals.

CROCKETT CUP 2019 SEMIFINAL MATCH: Villain Enterprises (Brody King & PCO) vs. the Briscoes- 5.75/10
They did dives and hit each other hard. Things got out of control and eventually chairs were used. Villain Enterprises were the first to successfully use them, which happened while the referee was busy trying to stop Jay Brisoce from using one. Jay eventually broke free and realized his brother had gotten hit with a chair so he used the chair he was holding and got DQed. This might sound like a good finish, but the Briscoes are supposed to be the heels and they’re the ones getting screwed. Also, these two teams just went to a double DQ last month in an ROH World Tag Team Title match at Road to G1 Supercard: Night 4, so this felt like a rehash rather than the next chapter in this feud.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
The Briscoes assaulted referee Paul Turner and also worked over PCO’s shoulder with the chair, which will almost certainly be used to give Villain Enterprises an out when they lose in the tournament finals to Royce & Latimer (& Madusa) and their cheating ways. I’ll have more on this at the end of the tournament. Also, Jay Briscoes disrespected the name and lineage of the NWA. I’m sorry, but I just don’t give a sh*t about the NWA. Shane Douglas famously said the NWA had “died- R.I.P.- seven years ago.” Shane was not wrong when he said that, and he said that A QUARTER OF A CENTURY AGO.

NWA NATIONAL TITLE MATCH: Willie Mack(c) vs. Colt Cabana- 4.75/10
Two large husky men throwing their bodies at each other. Cabana won the title, so at least now if someone is going to waste time on ROH TV with this silly thing it will be someone actually under ROH contract and any feuds time gets spent on can continue even after Cabana loses the belt.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- James Storm came out and cut what should have been a great promo about how the last time he was in an NWA ring he was challenging for the world title but “management” had more to do with who won than the actual competitors because they supposedly want a champion who uses big words instead of a man of the people like himself. In fact, management dislikes him so much that they didn’t want him to be here so they didn’t even invite him to the show, never mind book him to wrestle. But he has a plan to ensure that they can’t silence him ever again, which is to challenge the honorable fighting champion babyface Colt Cabana to an NWA National Title match and win that title, then use it as leverage.
Obviously my saying that this “should” have been a good promo means that although the general idea is good and one that people can get behind, it had some major flaws. The first of which was that neither Storm himself nor the announcers ever explained what Storm meant by management getting involved and affecting the match more than the wrestlers. To make matters even worse, I scoured the internet and could not find any sort of detailed results for NWA Pop-Up- New Years Clash no matter where I looked other than one reference to the match being “overbooked” (which is yet another sign of how irrelevant the NWA is), so I had no idea what the f*ck Storm was talking about.
Secondly, if the company didn’t want Storm to be there when why didn’t they cut his mic or send people out to remove him from the premises. If he’s not booked on the show in any capacity and not an invited guest then the moment he jumps the guardrail (which we didn’t actually see him do, but I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt that he did so in the aisle, off of camera) then he’s trespassing and they have every right to remove him from the building. You can’t tell me that management wants to silence someone if management just lets that person talk, so it seems to me like Storm really doesn’t need the NWA National Championship for his stated purpose.
Also, Storm’s framing of this makes management seem like they’re heels who are happy with their heel champion, but everything else we’ve seen on this show tells us the opposite. NWA Management are the ones who brought in all of these legends for us and worked with their partners in ROH, NJPW, and CMLL to bring in some of these big names for us and who did whatever charity work I think I remember hearing about being attached to this show. When Billy Corgan came out later, he was framed as a total babyface.

MORE STUFF WITH OLD PEOPLE- They had Nikita Koloff and Frances and Jackie Crockett on hand to present the trophy and championships to the winners. I wonder how weird it feels for Jackie to be on the other side of the camera. In an interesting tidbit, Ian Riccaboni mentioned The Crash and the NWA as part of the NJPW/ROH/CMLL/RevPro alliance. Caprice Coleman interviewed Nikita and they joked about his accent having disappeared. They also brought out Magnum TA and he was interviewed as well.
This went on WAY too long. Nostalgia is fine when it is in its proper place, but two old dudes saying absolutely nothing relevant to the show gets almost as much time as two current stars fighting over the NWA World Women’s Title or most of the matches in the eponymous tournament, it makes the wrestlers on the card feel like interchangeable faces you booked to provide some random action in between sessions at a convention, and that’s not what I signed up for. I signed up for a wrestling show.

CROCKETT CUP 2019 FINALS TO CROWN NEW NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Villain Enterprises (Brody King & PCO) vs. Isaac Royce & Tom Latimer (w/Madusa)- DUD!
Cornette did a fantastic job in getting over the fact that PCO actually looked like he feeling pain for once after the Brisoces’ post-match assault on him, and PCO obviously deserves credit for selling this well enough that Cornette could push it as hard as he did without sounding like an idiot.
Joe Galli and Jim Cornette both told us that Royce & Latimer’s story tonight was a “Cinderella story,” which totally misses the fact that they have CHEATED to win every single match they’ve won so far tonight. Cinderella’s fairy godmother levelled the playing field for her by getting her out of her unfairly-imposed chores and giving her the fancy clothes to get her in the door at the ball, but it was up to Cinderella to win the prince over with her personality on her own merits. The fairy godmother wasn’t going around hexing the other women at the ball to make them lose control of their bladders or forget how to talk or think they were chickens and randomly start clucking, or give Cinderella laxatives to spike the other ladies’ drinks with so that she would be the only woman who had the chance to talk to the prince because the others were all stuck on line for the bathroom.
Brodie wrestled the match completely by himself so the heels had a freshness advantage. Eventually he makes his comeback and tags PCO in… and PCO yells for Brody to “FIX MY ARM.” This required Brody to take the arm, which was so weak that PCO had to lift it with his other arm to get it over the ropes to receive the tag- and do one of those deals where you twist the arm and jump down off of the apron, pulling the other wrestler’s shoulder into the ropes. You know… the sort of thing that is usually an offensive move. So basically, they want me to believe that PCO’s arm is Hulk Hogan, and Brody King doing this put it over the damage threshold to allow it to Hulk Up and just no-sell everything from here on out.
THAT’S F*CKING MORONIC! Cornette tried to do his best to make this make sense by claiming the shoulder was dislocated and Brody King was yanking it back into place, but if that was the issue then shouldn’t there have been some sort of doctor backstage who could have done this? Or couldn’t Brody King do it before their match?
PCO and Brody quickly ran wild on the heels and then picked up the win in just over six and a half minutes. Madusa did not do a single thing at any point during the match, so what was the point of her even managing them? Also failing to pay off was the “work the knee, then do a stack up pin” spot that had been built up in Royce & Latimer’s earlier matches.
Everyone celebrates like I’m supposed to give a sh*t that Brody King & PCO won this tournament, but I don’t understand what the big deal is. They won this final match by beating a team that had never teamed together before tonight and who couldn’t win any of their previous matches without cheating. PCO & Brody themselves only won their semifinal match by DQ, and in a match where the finish was that they cheated first and the referee didn’t see it, and then the other team cheated and got caught.
Also, did anyone notice this trend in the results so far? The 2019 NWA is to 2019 ROH as 2015-2017 ROH is to New Japan. ROH guys rarely lose, and when they do, it’s never clean. My guess is that other than the Briscoes vs. Villain Enterprises situation, this was not some sort of demand that ROH made, but either way, the NWA comes out of this looking VERY bad.

NWA WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Nick Aldis(c) (w/Kamille) vs. Marty Scurll- 8/10
They had legendary referee Tommy Young give the “pre-match instructions,” which started out with Young telling the wrestlers “I already went over all of this stuff with you guys in your locker rooms.” Well then why was there any need for you to get on the mic at all? He told them to remember that this is a wrestling match and not a fight, and that the people came to see them wrestle, not to see the referees referee… which more than anything else seems like a set-up for a false-finish DQ/count-out into a restart.
We started off with Scurll taking a phantom bump while referee Brian Hebner’s back was turned and then lie to get Kamille ejected from ringside by claiming that she tripped him up. This would be fine under normal circumstances, but they just spent a whole bunch of time establishing Tommy Young’s presence at ringside, and he should not have fallen for it, but did.
All right in front of the referee, Aldis pulled the timekeeper’s table away, then picked Scurll up and chokeslammed him through it. This should have been a DQ, but wasn’t, because… um…
Aldis paced around and did nothing for a while rather than trying to capitalize, which you would think means he’s intending to win via count-out, but then he slid back into and ring and right out again to break the count. Then he rolled Scurll into the ring and went for a pin. Either do that right after you put him through the table so he doesn’t have time to recover, or just go for the count-out.
We had a bunch of spots where they brawled on the outside for a long time without Hebner trying to count them out, as well as a spot where Scurll just went after Aldis in a corner and didn’t break for a long time, even when Hebner grabbed him and tried to pull him off.
A big part of the reason this bugged me was Tommy Young’s statement to the wrestlers before the match. Tommy Young’s statement means “don’t make us have to get involved,” but the referees never got involved. In hindsight it’s clear that the goal of Young’s statement was the create an idealized contrast so that these two having their bloody brawl would seem more wild and vicious, but the official refereeing instructions before the match are not the right place to be doing that because that is a place where important official rulings are being made, and thus if you want to use that time to set up a framework for the audience, it needs to be done in a way where those comments are able to serve that dual purpose and not just be the framework. The place to lay framework like that is on commentary.
It was nice to have a crowd that saw a ref bump and instead of popping, responded with this sort of panicked murmur. Kamille somehow came back to ringside (Cornette said she must have “slipped away” from Tommy Young, but we never saw Tommy wander out here looking for her at any point during this spot) and set up for a spear on Scurll but Aldis got in her way and told her not to.
Then Marty kicked Aldis in the nuts, which is something Aldis should have known Marty wasn’t above doing, both because of Marty’s actions a mere two weeks ago in ROH when he attacked an unsuspecting Aldis from behind, and because Marty is Marty and Aldis already cheated by putting him through a table. Marty then hit the Black Plague, which is a MUCH better name than “Graduation” and fits in well with the plague doctor theme of his entrance gear.
Aldis kicked out of this and they spent the next few minutes trading nearfalls until Aldis got the submission victory. There was a lot of great stuff in here, both in terms of storytelling and in terms of emotion, and the video packages built it up very effectively. I thought the match was awesome, though not to a show-saving degree. What I decidedly did not think was awesome, though, was the overbooking, which I will address in the…

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- hated it
Scurll grabs a mic and cuts the big respect promo and Aldis cuts one back. This absolutely should not have happened, and for several reasons. The first of which is that it doesn’t make sense after the match they just had. Yes, as the saying goes, “brothers fight” and then they get over it. What brothers do not do is try to cheat each other out of a championship, which is what these two- and especially Scurll with his nut shot- did. I know that everybody loves the mutual respect ending, but if you’re going to do that, you can’t do things during the match that make that impossible. With this match in particular, given Marty’s actions two weeks ago at ROH Masters of the Craft 2019 where he pretended he had run in on Aldis’ match to help Aldis keep the title via DQ, then hit Aldis in the back with his umbrella, and the way the spot with Kamille and Marty’s subsequent low blow on Aldis were executed, it felt like this was supposed to be some kind of big double-turn, and now someone has hit the reset button on Scurll’s character, but not on Aldis’, which doesn’t compute to me.

Despite an awesome main event, I thought this was a pretty bad show. The announcers (especially Ian and Cornette) were generally very good, but the show itself felt like some ridiculous mix of Cornette Era ROH, Vince Russo’s crash TV, and a nostalgia convention. We had Cornette’s way too old school view of heels not being able to win cleanly, robbing our heels of any real credibility (aside from the Briscoes), Russo’s insistent on shorter matches, which made the tournament and both undercard titles look completely unimportant, and the time that could have been used to help some alleviate some of these things instead being given to nostalgia interviews. The set-up for the main event was very well done, but the context made everything else feel like unimportant ancillary entertainment that was only booked because you can’t do a one-match show.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: BRM Reviews ROH/NWA Crockett Cup 2019 (bad)

Post by cero2k » May 3rd, '19, 10:21

Big Red Machine wrote: May 2nd, '19, 16:04 What brothers do not do is try to cheat each other out of a championship, which is what these two- and especially Scurll with his nut shot- did.
brothers most certainty 100% do cheat each other out of championships

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 3rd, '19, 11:07

Big Red Machine wrote: May 2nd, '19, 16:04 NWA/ROH Crockett Cup 2019 (4/27/2019)- Concord, NC

MADUSA PROMO- She’s here to award the belt to whoever becomes the new NWA World Women’s Champion. Her promo was very good. When she came out, Ian Riccaboni called her a “trailblazer.” Can we please avoid suing WWE buzzwords? It both makes the promotion look second rate because they’re following WWE’s dictates on diction, but also because those words have essentially become tainted with the WWE announcer stink, and part of the fun of watching other promotions is hearing a wrestling show called without that pervasive and unpleasant odor.
I mean, fair point, but Madusa is one of the few people that deserves to be called a trailblaizer. She bridged the AJW style and brought it to the US, basically on her own, which moved women's wrestling away from the Moolah style

THE MIDNIGHT EXPRESS ARE ALL TOGETHER- Meh. ROH did this in 2004 (no points for guessing which show it might have happened at). It was special then because it hadn’t happened in fifteen years. Now it’s just more nostalgia. I know that this show is all about nostalgia, but the selling point are the matches. We already got the Rock N’ Roll Express essentially filling this same role. This was just a waste of time.
Disagree. I think it was cool to celebrate Dennis beating throat cancer.

CROCKETT CUP 2019 FINALS TO CROWN NEW NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Villain Enterprises (Brody King & PCO) vs. Isaac Royce & Tom Latimer (w/Madusa)- DUD!
I get it, But,,,,
but the show itself felt like some ridiculous mix of Cornette Era ROH, Vince Russo’s crash TV, and a nostalgia convention.
This is why I love this show! This is why I loved 2006,, and post BFG 2009- Jan 4, 2010 TNA. I love crazy crazy stew wrestling shows, with past, present and future mixed in. It makes for a fun viewing experience as a one off, but I can see why your review was so negative, because that's what happens when you actively analyze HOW that clashes and not just the matches themselves
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '19, 11:12

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:07
Big Red Machine wrote: May 2nd, '19, 16:04 NWA/ROH Crockett Cup 2019 (4/27/2019)- Concord, NC

I mean, fair point, but Madusa is one of the few people that deserves to be called a trailblaizer. She bridged the AJW style and brought it to the US, basically on her own, which moved women's wrestling away from the Moolah style
The Moolah style was mostly only a thing in the Northeast and places that rented talent from Moolah. Everywhere else in the US/Canada you had Cora Combs, Joyce Grable, Mildred Burke, etc. doing the normal American/Canadian style.

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:07
Big Red Machine wrote: May 2nd, '19, 16:04CROCKETT CUP 2019 FINALS TO CROWN NEW NWA WORLD TAG TEAM CHAMPIONS: Villain Enterprises (Brody King & PCO) vs. Isaac Royce & Tom Latimer (w/Madusa)- DUD!
I get it, But,,,,
but the show itself felt like some ridiculous mix of Cornette Era ROH, Vince Russo’s crash TV, and a nostalgia convention.
This is why I love this show! This is why I loved 2006,, and post BFG 2009- Jan 4, 2010 TNA. I love crazy crazy stew wrestling shows, with past, present and future mixed in. It makes for a fun viewing experience as a one off, but I can see why your review was so negative, because when you actively analyze HOW that clashes and not just the matches themselves.
You can do crazy stew wrestling while still giving your matches an appropriate amount of time.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 3rd, '19, 11:27

Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:12 You can do crazy stew wrestling while still giving your matches an appropriate amount of time.
It didn't strike me as if the matches were short. Maybe because I've just recently reviewed a similar tournament (KotR 1994) where the guys were working significantly softer so they could go full brunt later on in the night, but I thought the work rate was so consistent throughout the length didn't even register

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '19, 11:34

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:27
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:12 You can do crazy stew wrestling while still giving your matches an appropriate amount of time.
It didn't strike me as if the matches were short. Maybe because I've just recently reviewed a similar tournament (KotR 1994) where the guys were working significantly softer so they could go full brunt later on in the night, but I thought the work rate was so consistent throughout the length didn't even register
KOTR 1994 was a significantly shorter show (by a full hour, I think). And consistency is only a virtue when attached to a positive adjective.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 3rd, '19, 12:29

Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:34
KOTR 1994 was a significantly shorter show (by a full hour, I think). And consistency is only a virtue when attached to a positive adjective.
This show did have a lot more fluff than KoTR 1994. And while I absolutely understand why most wrestling fans don't particularly enjoy segments with legends being interviewed or in matches , I'm a sucker for that "pat the legends on the back and give them some time in the sun" stuff. It just warms my heart.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 3rd, '19, 12:43

how long does this show run? I mean, we're talking a full tournament + 3 title matches.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 3rd, '19, 12:47

cero2k wrote: May 3rd, '19, 12:43
how long does this show run? I mean, we're talking a full tournament + 3 title matches.
3 1/2 hours

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '19, 14:08

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 12:29
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 11:34

This show did have a lot more fluff than KoTR 1994. And while I absolutely understand why most wrestling fans don't particularly enjoy segments with legends being interviewed or in matches , I'm a sucker for that "pat the legends on the back and give them some time in the sun" stuff. It just warms my heart.
I have no problem with that either, but the problem is that everyone has done it so much with these same legends. It's also an issue of the NWA using their time for this instead of building up current stars. This is not the way to go if your goal is to try to build your promotion up.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '19, 14:18

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 12:47

3 1/2 hours
And only about an 1:45 of that is wrestling. Other than the main event, the only two matches to go longer than 10 minutes were Bandido & Flip vs. Stuka Jr./Guerrero Maya Jr. and VE vs. Kojima/Nagata.

To contrast, KOTR 94 has (unless my math is wrong) 1:24:43 in two hours and forty minutes.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » May 3rd, '19, 14:31

Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 14:18

3 1/2 hours
And only about an 1:45 of that is wrestling. Other than the main event, the only two matches to go longer than 10 minutes were Bandido & Flip vs. Stuka Jr./Guerrero Maya Jr. and VE vs. Kojima/Nagata.

To contrast, KOTR 94 has (unless my math is wrong) 1:24:43 in two hours and forty minutes.
There's absolutely NO way half of that show is segments. Promos were like a minute apiece, and I wouldn't count pre-opening segments, or any time with the commentators. The only thing that was of length was the coronation. Again, I never was the kind of guy to analyze segments vs in ring action time, unless it was the doldrums of Russo TNA, where it was super obvious.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 3rd, '19, 14:36

NWK2000 wrote: May 3rd, '19, 14:31
Big Red Machine wrote: May 3rd, '19, 14:18

3 1/2 hours

There's absolutely NO way half of that show is segments. Promos were like a minute apiece, and I wouldn't count pre-opening segments, or any time with the commentators. The only thing that was of length was the coronation. Again, I never was the kind of guy to analyze segments vs in ring action time, unless it was the doldrums of Russo TNA, where it was super obvious.
I'm going solely based off of the times listed on Wikipedia, so that doesn't include post-match angles or entrances or anything some people might consider "wrestling time" (personally a brawl before or after a match should count, but entrances should not). It's early 90s WWF so I'm willing to bet they spent quite a bit of time on entrances. Crockett Cup spent almost no time on entrances. All of the lost time there was fluff.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation