BRM Reviews ROH Death Before Dishonor: Fallout

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Death Before Dishonor: Fallout

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 26th, '19, 19:47

ROH Death Before Dishonor: Fallout (9/28/2019)- Las Vegas, NV

QUINN MCKAY INTERVIEWS RUSH- meh
Rush is flanked by his father (Bestia del Ring) and his brother (Dragon Lee). Rush and Dragon Lee were scheduled to wrestle tonight but weren’t cleared by the commission. He didn’t say much, but he doesn’t speak much English so it was probably for the best. This was something that probably wouldn’t have happened if opening the first show after a title change with a promo by the champion wasn’t an ROH tradition, so this fulfilled the necessary minimum requirements for that and that was all it needed to do.

2019 TOP PROSPECT TOURNAMENT FINALS: Austin Gunn vs. Dak Draper- 6.75/10
Fine for an opener, but I really wish they would have given these two more time so that the winner could really show what he can do so that we can get excited about him.

ROH WORLD TITLE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Dalton Castle vs. Mark Haskins- 7.5/10
A great match where the wrestlers did a wonderful job of infusing the match with a feeling of desperation for the victory without anyone cheating. Dalton has a new finisher, which is some sort of wacky bulldog.

ROH WORLD TITLE #1 CONTENDERSHIP TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: P.J. Black vs. Jay Lethal (w/Jonathan Gresham)- 7.75/10

WOMEN’S SEGMENT- fine
Angelina goes through the standard heel bragging. Kelly Klein comes out and tells her that she is getting her rematch at Glory By Honor: NOLA next month in New Orleans. She says she will be bringing someone to counter Mandy Leon and that the heels should be “very afraid.” It’s obviously Maria Manic so why not just come out and say it?

JAKE ATLAS vs. BATEMAN- 7/10
A woman I had never heard of before named Kathy Campanelli joined Ian and Caprice on commentary for this match. Several minutes in, I was utterly dumbfounded that she was already under contract to some company or another. She was FANTASTIC.
Speaking of people who should be under contract, who about these two? This was GREAT. And this is what they did with only twelve minutes, and it’s not like they used a break-neck spotfest pace, either.

CHEESEBURGER, JOE HENDRY, RHETT TITUS, & SILAS YOUNG vs. BRIAN JOHNSON, JEFF COBB, JOSH WOODS, & KENNY KING (w/Amy Rose)- 6/10
This was a “Vegas Wildcard Match,” which means the teams were chosen at random, which explains Silas and Woods being on opposite sides. Stuff happened. It was entertaining. Johnson’s comedy was at least the type of comedy where everything is plausible, as opposed to “we’re working together and doing a bit.” Woods got the win by rolling up Silas, which Silas was not happy with. Woods couldn’t understand why Silas wasn’t happy for him.

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS MATCH: Tracy Williams vs. Flip Gordon- 7.75/10
Very food weapons match stuff.

KINGDOM PROMO- odd
He cut a total babyface promo putting over ROH and thanking the fans, etc. etc. Then said he was staying in ROH and vowing to reclaim his title.

ROH WORLD SIX-MAN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Villain Enterprises(c) vs. Dragon Lee & the Briscoes- 7/10
Just under twelve minutes of exciting moves without much story. It’s passable for a main event, I guess.

This was a very consistent show in the ring, but for some reason I just didn’t care for it. It felt a lot more like a TV taping than Honor For All 2019 did. Still, the wrestling was pretty darn good all up and down the card and there was some storyline stuff so I can’t call this show a miss, but as a whole the product didn’t feel as great as a show with this level of work should. Maybe it was because the storyline stuff all felt less important (and was less prevalent) than you’d think it would on a show whose name is all about it being the “fallout” of the major show from the night before.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3