BRM Reviews ROH Honor United Tour 2019: London (great)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Honor United Tour 2019: London (great)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 4th, '19, 21:56

ROH Honor United Tour 2019: London (10/25/2019)- London, UK

THE BRAT BACK (Mitch Waterman & Nick Bury) vs. LIFEBLOOD (Tracy Williams & Mark Haskins) (w/Vicky Haskins)- 6.75/10
A solid action opener, but I really would have preferred that LIFEBLOOD didn’t do a spot that required Vicky Haskins to distract the referee, even if the only rule they were violating was five seconds after a tag. They’re LIFEBLOOD.

JAY BRISCOE vs. JONATHAN GRESHAM- 8/10
Gresham wore a goofy mask to the ring that seemed like some sort of cosplay thing, but then he TOOK IT OFF BEFORE THE MATCH STARTED (as opposed to AEW where they apparently wrestle with such costumes on). They had an awesome match where Gresham dominated the wrestling while Briscoe dominated the brawling. The finish came when Gresham apparently spit mist into Briscoes’ eyes and rolled him up for the win. The camera totally missed this, which I was fine with, because it was supposed to be sneaky, and there wasn’t actually much mist on Briscoe’s face, which I liked because you avoid the stupid situation where the wrestler’s face is full of the stuff and the referee has to pretend to not see it until the pin has already been counted.

SIX-MAN SCRAMBLE MATCH: Dalton Castle vs. Hikuleo vs. Matt Taven vs. Rampage Brown vs. Silas Young vs. Kenny King (w/Amy Rose)- 7.5/10
They shoved a lot of talent into this undercard six-way match, so I was happy to see it given the time to deliver. It was the usual action you’d expect from this kind of match, but there was enough of it that it didn’t feel like a waste of guys like Castle, King, Silas, and Taven.

ROH WOMEN OF HONOR WORLD TITLE MATCH: Kelly Klein(c) vs. Mandy Leon- 4.25/10
Mandy jumped Kelly from behind to start things off. She worked over the arm and they seemed to be going with that story… but then Mandy hit Kelly in the head with the title and pinned her and won the title. Then Senior Referee Tod Sinclair came out and overturned the ruling, but that just makes me ask why he didn’t do so for Briscoes vs. Gresham, or why he doesn’t do so every other time someone cheats to win? Seconds later, Kelly Klein hit her finisher and got the win. This was pointless overbooking. Just let them go out there and tell their story!

COLT CABANA vs, FLAMITA-7/10
A great mix of action and comedy.

ROH WORLD TV TITLE MATCH: Shane Taylor(c) vs. Joe Hendry- 7/10
Dalton Castle joined the commentary team for this match. He was excellent. The match just hit my minimum threshold for a main event, which is nice to see from this spot on the card, but for a title match with some actual build behind it, I was hoping for a little more. Shane Taylor just doesn’t do it for me.

SCHADENFREUDE (Lucky Kid & Kyle Fletcher) vs. VILLAIN ENTERPRISES (Brody King & PCO)- 6.75/10

JAY LETHAL vs. MARK BRISCOE- 7/10
A great match that ended in a wonderfully-executed heel turn. This is how you do a non-finish without angering the fans. Whoever came up with the detail of Mark Briscoe bleeding after Gresham shoved him into the post (thus revealed that someone must have interfered with him) is a genius!

JEFF COBB & RUSH vs. VILLAIN ENTERPRISES (Marty Scurll & Flip Gordon)- 7.5/10
I wasn’t into this for the first half or so but they got me very invested by the end.
Cobb was a dick and tagged himself in after Rush hit Flip with the Bull’s Horns so that he could hit his own finisher and steal the pin.

This was a great show from ROH with solid wrestling all up and down the card (other than the horribly overbooked women’s match), a MAJOR storyline moment, and some good build towards the Cobb vs. Rush ROH World Title match that will headline this tour. Hopefully the rest of the tour keeps up this level of quality.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3