BRM Reviews the 9/25/2020 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/25/2020 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 5th, '20, 00:38

DAVID FINLAY JR. PROMO AFTER LAST WEEK’S VICTORY- good build for his match against Jay Lethal

MATT SYDAL PROMO AFTER LAST WEEK’S VICTORY- great!

FRED YEHI VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- good

SILAS YOUNG VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- fine

ROH PURE TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Silas Young vs. Fred Yehi- 6.5/10
This was solid. Hopefully Yehi gets to show off more of his actual wrestling skill in the next round (ideally against Tracy Williams). As this match approached the end, the announcers reminded us that in the event of a draw, a winner will be decided by the judges. If that is going to happen at some point in this tournament, this is the match I would have done it in. Silas is easily the person in this tournament with the biggest potential to be a sore loser, and with Yehi being both new to ROH and also probably not someone who is going to win the tournament, I like the idea of having Tracy beat Yehi in the next round, thus putting doubt in Yehi’s mind that he belongs because his only win came via decision, and then have Silas’ complaining exacerbate that doubt, and now you’ve got a story for Yehi after the tournament where he is trying to validate himself via victories (and you pay it off with a clean, non-judges win against Silas in a rematch.

JOSH WOODS VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- Woods is fine in the ring, but he is not someone who should be talking for long periods of time, and this was WAY too long.

KENNY KING VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- very good
This dragged on a little too long, but was otherwise great.

ROH PURE TITLE TOURNAMENT FIRST ROUND MATCH: Kenny King vs. Josh Woods- 6.5/10
Kenny came to the ring wearing a mask with only one bull horn. It looked extremely stupid.
Ah. So this is where we get our draw. Okay. I liked that they build up Kenny being unhappy with the refereeing throughout, and one can only assume that he’ll be even less happy at now having lost this match via split decision. I like that they explained that Sumie Sakai, the deciding vote, had the fact that Kenny had been issued a warning for using a closed first while Woods had not as her reason for voting for Kenny, as it makes that feel like it matters more in all future matches now. The fact that one of the things Kenny was unhappy with during the match was been issued this warning (I guess he was arguing that it was a clubbing blow or something) also seems like it will feed into wherever Kenny goes with his anger at losing this match makes me like it even more.

A fine episode of ROH. Ian and Caprice were absolutely tremendous on commentary (Caprice especially on this show).
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Re: BRM Reviews the 9/25/2020 ROH

Post by NWK2000 » Oct 14th, '20, 16:18

Hopefully this is the start of Ring of Honor realizing they need wrestling, and not the "Bully Ray budget Attitude Era" shit to stand out from the crowd. I'd reallllllly like to not rate them worst show of the year again next year...
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.