BRM Reviews the 10/16/2020 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 10/16/2020 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 8th, '20, 01:51

JAY LETHAL PROMO AFTER LAST WEEK’S WIN- fine
He pushed the idea of himself vs. Gresham in the finals very hard.

JONATHAN GRESHAM PROMO AFTER LAST WEEK’S WIN- good
He’s talking about restoring ROH’s honor. Is he a babyface now?

TRACY WILLIAMS VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMO- I marked out so hard for the Catchpoint picture (with Biff Busick, too). They blurred out the EVOLVE belts, but I was SOOOO happy seeing those guys all together. I really do hope WWE eventually does upload all of the EVOLVE shows to the Network rather than just shows since the NXT guys started to show up, because I really want to rewatch all of that wonderful stuff.

ROH PURE TITLE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Fred Yehi vs. Tracy Williams- 6.5/10
The story was them using up their rope-breaks much quicker than you would expect. Once Yehi was out of rope-breaks, Tracy was able to get him in a Dragon Sleeper in the ropes and get the win.

EC3 PROMO- bad
That facial hair is atrocious. So was most of this promo. What was that ridiculous mumbo-jumbo supposed to be? You want to fight guys like Rush, Lethal, and the Briscoes? Just say so! Don’t prattle on about us being “controlled” by everything from corporations to love and whatever else he said? “Control your narrative?” More like “meaningless buzzword soup.”

EC3, SHANE TAYLOR, AND THE BRISCOES BACKSTAGE- mostly good
Shane Taylor confronted EC3 and cut a promo on him. Shane was upset because Ethan did not mention him when running down a list of the top names in ROH. He ended his promo by telling EC3 that this was his house, which provoked the ire of the nearby Briscoes. Shouting happened. The Soldiers of Savagery at least stood there and looked dangerous. EC3, on the other hand, stood there, looking stoically depressed and not responding to anything that happened. Jay challenged Shane and Soldiers of Savagery to a six-man tag. EC3 did not appear to register any of this. Taylor shoved Jay, but referees prevented Jay from retaliating. This certainly made me want to see the Briscoes fight Shane Taylor and his pals, but it did absolutely nothing to get me interested to see EC3, and did a lot to make me not care about him, as he didn’t seem to care about anything that was happening right in front of his face.

ROH PURE TITLE TOURNAMENT QUARTERFINAL MATCH: Josh Woods (w/Silas Young) vs. P.J. Black (w/Brian Johnson)- 6.5/10
This was a nice polite grapplef*ck match that slowly got meaner.

This was another fun Pure Title Tournament show, but I really do want to see some longer matches. I’m pleasantly enjoying watching these matches, but the only reason I’m excited for the tournament is because I’ve seen what the old Pure Title could produce. For someone who doesn’t have a robust ROH DVD collection, I don’t think this is doing much to get them excited for the new championship.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3