BRM Reviews the 2/5/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/5/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 24th, '21, 10:48

QUINN MCKAY INTERVIEWS BEER CITY BRUISER AFTER HE TURNED ON MATT TAVEN LAST WEEK- GREAT!
Quinn is shocked that BCB would take the advice of a guy (Vincent) who did horrible, crazy things to him back in 2019, like pull a tooth out of his mouth a pair of pliers. Bruiser said that “in order for wounds to heal, you have to make peace with the demon that caused them.” He didn’t get to say anything else because Brian Milonas got in his face and demanded answers. BCB said he was “tired of being second.” Milonas insisted that “that’s not how we do things” and that Taven and Bennett were his friends. Bruiser told him that “there’s no ‘friends’ in wrestling. Either you have my back or you don’t. I’m tired of being everyone’s little bitch!” and then stormed off.

Back at her desk in the present, Quinn clarified something I was wondering about last week. The rule for Taven and Vincent is apparently that they “can’t be in the same ring,” but that doesn’t make sense to me because the idea is to prevent them from fighting and causing property damage, and merely barring them from being in the same ring won’t stop them brawling backstage. Quinn hinted that the Board of Directors might take some action against Vincent for exploiting a “loophole.”

TRACY WILLIAMS PROMO/VIDEO PACKAGE- fine

WORLD FAMOUS CB VIDEO PACKAGE- F*CKING AWESOME!
This was the much-needed promo where he evolved. He showed an understanding of what the Cheeseburger moniker did for him while also explaining why it had to go. I wish they had come up with a better name than “World Famous CB,” but the promo itself was absolutely tremendous.

PURE RULES MATCH: Tracy Williams vs. World Famous CB-6.25/10
Their graphic claimed that CB made his “pro debut” in 2013, but in his video package burger said that he had been working on the indies in 2012. Someone should have caught that. Also, if he doesn’t want to be “Cheeseburger” anymore, CB might want to have some gear made that doesn’t have a Cheeseburger on it.
Tracy won clean despite being in rope-break trouble.

VIDEO PACKAGE FOR THE MAIN EVENT- good… other than Brody King calling it the “World Heavyweight Title.” There is no “heavyweight” in the name, and there never has been. Make the dude reshoot his line so he gets it right.

BRODY KING, PCO, & THE BRISCOES vs. FLIP GORDON & LA FACCION INGOBERNABLE (Rush, Dragon Lee, & Bestia Del Ring)- 5.75/10
Flip is a replacement for the “unable to compete” (because of COVID travel restrictions) Kenny King. Flip was a great choice because he’s been talking about the world title shot he is owed, and now he’s teaming with the world champion and they don’t trust each other.
Amy Rose was on guest commentary to be her usual black hole of charisma self. She added absolutely nothing to the booth. She can be in LFI because she’s Kenny King’s valet, but she shouldn’t be talking if she’s not good at it (and she’s very much not). Ian became the latest announcer to misuse the phrase “bird’s-eye view.” That one drives me nuts every time.
The story of the match was LFI not just not letting Flip tag out, but actually throwing him back into the ring any time he tried to roll out. It was effective in getting it’s point across, but it did create a situation where the babyfaces have a major advantage, and the way it made Flip sympathetic works against everything else they’ve been trying to do with him.
When LFI finally decided to get involved and it turned into a big brawl, Todd Sinclair looked like he was deliberately trying not to see LFI’s use of weapons, which came off like he was in cahoots with them, which I’m sure was the opposite of what the intension was. Eventually things completely broke down and Sinclair threw the match out. Yes, this builds to a number of matches that either should be no DQs at this point in their feuds (Rush vs. Brodie, Rush vs. PCO) and plants seeds for what should be some tremendous matches pitting the Briscoes against LFI (Jay vs. Briscoe vs. Rush feels like a dream match, and I don’t think I’ve ever said that before about a Jay Briscoe singles match), but if I were booking this, I wouldn’t have done this as a main event.

This was a meh episode of ROH. Probably the worst one since the restart, but it did at least move along what it needed to move along.

Between something Ian said on commentary and something Quinn said in her interview with BCB, it’s clear that ROH taped these without knowing that they wouldn’t air until 2021, which really isn’t a good look when you’re running every week and can’t figure out when each episode is going to air and relay that info to your announcers.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3