BRM Reviews the 2/19/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 2/19/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 1st, '21, 18:54

WINNER GETS AN ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH NEXT WEEK: The Briscoes vs. La Faccion Ingobernable (Dragon lee & Kenny King) (w/Amy Rose)- 6.5/10
This was solid while it lasted. Flip Gordon interfered to cost the Briscoes the match for reasons that aren’t entirely clear to me. If he were to go after anyone in this match, I’d think it’d be LFI (though I would have thought he would have been even happier to just sit back and let them kick each other’s asses).

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- meh
Ah. Okay. EC III comes out and tells us that he just paid Flip Gordon to attack the Briscoes. He then wasted everyone’s time spouting his usual stupid platitudes at Jay.

RELAXED RULES MATCH WITH MATT TAVEN AND VINCENT BARRED FROM RINGSIDE: Mike Bennett vs. Bateman (w/Vita Von Starr)- 6.5/10
Bennett won a solid little grudge match. Yes, a “grudge match” should probably be a little better than this to be “solid,” but these guys are the secondary characters in someone else’s feud, so I’ll allow it.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- GREAT!
Matt Taven swooped in after the match and attacked Bateman. He brought a wooden block with him and had Bennett hold Taven down so they could break his ankle like the Righteous had done to Bennett. Vita tried to get into the ring with a chair to make the save but Taven snatched the chair away from her, so she went to the back to find Vincent. Taven cut a promo telling Vincent that he and Bennett would break Bateman’s ankle unless Vincent agreed to wrestle Taven. Vincent appeared on the SinclairTron and cut a great promo turning the match down, so Taven and Bennett broke Bateman’s ankle.
The announcers sold it as if Bennett and Taven had crossed a line by stooping to the heels’ level, and they certainly came off as heelish to me during this whole thing, so mission accomplished.

ROH WORLD SIX-MAN TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: MexiSquad(c) vs. Shane Taylor Promotions- 6.75/10
Maria Kanellis was on commentary for some reason relating to The Experience, which at this point seems to just be some polls, but Shane Taylor was apparently the person fans most wanted to see get an ROH World Title shot, so that worked out pretty well.
They did trios stuff with a bunch of dives. STP won the titles, hopefully freeing MexiSquad (and especially Bandido) up to be used as singles wrestlers.

This was a fine episode of ROH. This was also the first episode that didn’t spent a lot of time on pre-match promos/video packages, which I think is good for a bigger show. When you’ve only got one hour, you need to save time for the big matches. They didn’t really do that here, but they also tried to squeeze three matches in. Next week’s show has two, so hopefully they can give them both the appropriate amount of time.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3