BRM Reviews the 9/3/2021 ROH (bad)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/3/2021 ROH (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 11th, '21, 21:07

TRISH ADORA VS. MIRANDA ALIZE VIDEO PACKAGE/PROMOS- fine

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL MATCH: Trish Adora vs. Miranda Alize- 5.75/10
Alize won clean.

ROH WOMEN’S WORLD TITLE TOURNAMENT SEMIFINAL MATCH: Rok-C vs. Angelina Love- 4/10
Angelina’s shoulder is all taped up from last week, so the stories of this match were Anglina trying to protect her injured shoulder and also having to cheat to level the playing field. The storytelling was decent but some of Rok-C’s stuff didn’t look particularly good. A lot of it was the sort of stuff you can hide with camera angles, which makes it baffling to me that ROH didn’t/couldn’t here on this pre-taped show (that doesn’t mean Rok-C shouldn’t work to improve, obviously).
As for the booking… I don’t know what to think anymore. On the one hand, I can’t ignore that the idea of Angelina coming into this match injured sets up a story for Angelina to challenge future champion Rok-C with the hook being that Angelina is now fully healthy and thus Rok-C might not be able to beat her, and I similarly can’t ignore that last week’s Max The Impaler DQ loss could have also been setting her up as a challenger for Rok-C. The problem is that I also can’t ignore Delirious’ sh*tty track record, and that this could just be bad booking where he doesn’t realize that he’s undermining his tournament by diminishing the wins of the woman who will either be the champion at the end or be the woman who the eventual champion beats in the finals.
Alize came out onto the stage to have a stare-down with Rok-C.

LFI PROMO- short and sweet

SHANE TAYLOR PROMO ON BEHALF OF SHANE TAYLOR PROMOTION- GREAT!

LUCHA RULES TAG TEAM MATCH: La Faccion Ingobernable vs. Shane Taylor Promotions- 5.75/10
O’Shay Edwards is the newest member of ROH’s Stupid Entrance Mask Club. Everyone brawled before the match so security had to come out and get control of things so that the match could start properly. They also sent out a second referee to be on the outside in case Todd Sinclair gets bumped. Why don’t they do that all the time?
We had a lot of jawing before they actually started wrestling, so by the time they bell rang, there was less than nine minutes left in the show.

In one of those little spots you see that just makes you gush because of how brilliant it is, they did a spot where Dragon Lee did a big dive onto Kaun on STP’s side of the ring… and the other three members of STP responded to this by immediately hopping down off the apron and pounding on Dragon Lee, then rolling him into the ring and taking advantage of the Lucha rules by having a fresh man (in this case Edwards) roll in with him and keep up the offense while the rest of the group kept the attention of the rest of LFI, who had come over to try to defend Dragon Lee but gotten there too late.
Action happened until the finish, which I would give them props for, aside from one problem. You all know how much I hate when someone will make the save by pulling the referee out of the ring and it’s not a DQ? Well LFI did that here, but they immediately pointed to the injured Moses, as if they were concerned for his safety and were insisting that Todd Sinclair check on him. This, of course, allowed Kenny King to kick Shane Taylor in the nuts and roll him up, at which point LFI got Todd back into the ring to count the pin. That’s a GREAT finish… EXCEPT THAT THERE WAS A SECOND REFEREE AT RINGSIDE WHOSE WHOLE JOB WAS TO JUMP IN IF SINCLAIR WASN’T ABLE TO WATCH THE RING, SO HE SHOULD HAVE SEEN THE LOW BLOW!
After the match, STP posed over the fallen Taylor and Kenny King cut a promo on him. I thought it was notable that Kenny’s promo did not mention LFI challenging STP for the ROH World Six-Man Tag Team Titles the weekend after this was to air, which has me worried that Delirious has pretty much no idea what is going to be going on at the PPVs when ROH tapes the TV that supposedly builds to them.

This was a worrying episode of ROH. The match quality wasn’t there, and several things have given me more reason to be concerned about the booking.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3