BRM Reviews the 9/10/2021 ROH (bad)

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/10/2021 ROH (bad)

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 11th, '21, 22:07

BRISCOES PROMO- standard Briscoes stuff

MEXISQUAD PROMO- bad
Bandido doesn’t come off like a world champion. He comes off like an undercard guy trying to be cool. Also, STOP SWAYING THE F*CKING CAMERA!

THE BRISCOES vs. MEXISQUAD (Rey Horus & Bandido)- 6.5/10
Good action, although they ignored the tag rules way too much for my liking, which is a real issue in a company that branding itself as the “we enforce the rules” company. Rey Horus ate the pin, which was the right thing to do based on everyone’s trajectories, and I assume that will become a familiar role for him as long as Bandido is the ROH World Champion.

WILL FERRARA PROMO- bad
He tired really hard but… it’s f*cking WILL FERRARA. I do not for one second believe that his best days are in front of him because he has been around for years and hasn’t shown me ANY evidence that he is someone who can put on anything that is above the level of a decent TV match. I have a pretty good memory for these things, but just to help out, I scrolled through ALL of his ROH matches on CageMatch.net to jog my memory of anything I might have forgotten about, and the best match of Ferrara’s career was exactly the one I thought it was, which was 7.5/10 match against Roderick Strong back in 2015, when Roddy was having an insane year and putting on awesome matches with everyone, everywhere.
And then to tell me that you’re fighting for the pride of ROH Dojo? F*ck off! Who could possibly care about that? And it’s not even like there is some rivalry between dojos going on here. It’s a random match against Josh Woods, which you’re going to lose, so all you’re doing by saying that is burying your precious dojo.

JOSH WOODS PROMO- meh

PURE RULES MATCH: Josh Woods vs. Will Ferrara (w/Eric Martin)- 4/10
Woods dominated Ferrara and got him into rope-break trouble early. Ferrara came back and worked over Woods’ arm, but Woods then hit a forearm and then hi his finisher for the win. On his way to the back, Woods had a stare-down with Jonathan Gresham, who had come out to do commentary, as a way to build up to their ROH Pure Title match at Death Before Dishonor 2021.

WOMEN’S TITLE TOURNAMENT HYPE PACKAGE- fine

KENNY KNIG & DRAGON LEE PROMO- decent

CHRIS DICKINSON & HOMICIDE PROMO- fine

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: VLNCE UNLTD (Chris Dickinson & Homicide)(c) vs. La Faccion Ingobernable (Kenny King & Dragon Lee)- 6.5/10
They did moves. The belts changed hands again. At least when Gabe would do this sort of thing with the tag titles there was a substantive purpose to it. In late 2003 there was a storyline that the tag titles were “cursed” because the champs would always lose them in their first defense, which set up the Briscoes winning them and having an extended run, or Maff and Whitmer winning the belts but then losing them the same night at Round Robin Challenge III gave them a reason to believe in themselves and decide to stick together (they knew they were capable of winning the titles and wanted to do so again) now that Daniels was gone and probably not coming back, or the Briscoes losing them in their first defense after regaining them in their big layoff making them realize that they needed to toughen up, and when they won the titles back, they had what was at that point the longest reign in the history of the titles (I will admit that I can’t defend the Jacobs/Whitmer switch and switch-back against the Carnage Crew). What Delirious has been doing here with both the tag titles and TV Title is just moving the belts back and forth between the three factions to create the illusion of movement in a feud that really hasn’t seen any substantive change since it started in the build-up to the 19th Anniversary Show this winter.

JAKE ATLAS VS. TAYLOR RUST WILL HAPPEN AT DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR! YAY!

This was another frustrating episode of ROH. If this company is ever going to succeed again, Delirious has to go.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3