BRM Reviews the 9/24/2021 ROH

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews the 9/24/2021 ROH

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 10th, '21, 16:16

Last week’s show had another f*cking Pure Rules Gauntlet, plus an undercard Pure division match, so I’m just skipping it. Brian Johnson won the gauntlet over a bunch of undercard jamokes, including LSG and Delirious, while the actual match was Mike Bennett beating Rhett Titus by judges’ decision. How fun.

BRIAN JOHNSON PROMO- GREAT!
I imagine that Johnson is what Tony Khan had it mind for 2.0.

PURE RULES MATCH IN WHICH IF JOHNSON WINS, HE GETS A HEADBAND FROM BLACK, BUT IF CLACK WINS, JOHNSON MUST SHAKE HIS HAND: Brian Johnson vs. P.J. Black- 6.5/10
They wrestled. Johnson used a closed fist to set up the win.

POST-MATCH SEGMENT- good
Blac called out Johnson for needing to cheat, but said he was proud of him anyway for using the things that he was taught. Black offered a handshake, and Johnson took it. Black said Johnson would be there if he needed him. I think people would actually get behind a Brian Johnson face turn if he stopped cheating. It’s the attitude that is getting him over, so just lean into that.

BRIAN ZANE INTERVIEWS BRIAN JOHNSON- Black showed up again and said mostly the same stuff. It was like Delirious realized they forgot to put over the finisher that black taught Johnson when they were doing this in the ring, so Delirious had them do the same segment against backstage but include that this time.

WOMEN OF HONOR VIDEO- This was just filling time with a video that was meant to be… inspiring, I guess?

ELI ISOM PROMO- Apparently the third guy from Shinobi Shadow Squad whose name I have already forgotten is jealous of Eli Isom. Isom says that this “Ryan” won’t get in the way of his goal. Isom tried really hard here, but this just didn’t click for me. I feel so bd typing this because I have watched many indy shows with low production values and recommended them to everyone I’ve talked to about wrestling, telling them to ignore the fact that they don’t know who the wrestlers are and that it doesn’t feel “big time,” because the wrestling on the show is great… and here I am, watching a promo from a guy who I think is talented, and it’s not clicking for me, and the best way I can verbalize why is to say that Isom just doesn’t feel important or “big-time.”

RYAN MOONEY PROMO- meh
He’s the other guy. This promo had a similar problem to Isom’s. This story feels like it has come completely out of nowhere. Sure, I can buy that these former stablemates were good friends, but when you’ve got one guy talking about they were pushing each other to be all that they could be and stuff like that in what was a low-level trio, it feels phony because all I can think is “really? THAT was the best you could be when you were supposedly pushing each other so hard?”

THEY KILL A GOOD FIVE MINUTES SHOWING US PART OF THE FOUNDATION VS. VLNCE UNLTD MATCH FROM DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR- why? You couldn’t come up with a better use for this time like some promos or video package?

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL MATCH: Brody King vs. Shane Taylor vs. Jay Lethal vs. Kenny King- 7/10
They aired promos from all four guys during their entrances. Kenny King was good, Taylor was great, Brody King was good, and Jay Lethal was fine.
This time, “Four Corner Survival” means tags are necessary. This was a passable TV main event. Brody King got the win, pinning Shane Taylor. The problem is that it just doesn’t feel like things are going anywhere. Yes, Brody King pinned Shane Taylor, but it doesn’t feel like this has moved any of the issues between any of these factions any closer to getting resolved or exacerbated them at all.

Another meh show from ROH. The in-ring action is solid, but I’ve just lost faith that the overall story is going anywhere.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3