BRM Reviews ROH Honor For All 2021

All ROH Related Reviews and Discussions
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ROH Honor For All 2021

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 15th, '21, 21:31

ROH Honor For All 2021 (11/14/2021)- Baltimore, MD

TAYLOR RUST PROMO- meh
He wants revenge on Tracy Williams for knocking him out of the Pure Title tournament last year.

PURE RULES MATCH: Taylor Rust vs. Tracy Williams- 5.75/10
They did some technical wrestling. Rust won clean.
Brian Johnson joined Ian Riccaboni and Caprice Coleman on commentary for this match.

HOLIDEAD PROMO- good

QUINN MCKAY PROMO- Her passion is good, I just can’t give a sh*t about her desire to become champion because she never wins, and thus doesn’t deserve to be the champion. Since losing in the quarterfinals of the tournament, Quinn has had one match (teaming with Rok-C against Miranda Alize and Max the Impaler)… which she lost. How is she in this #1 contendership match, but neither of those two are?

VITA VONSTARR PROMO- bad
She’s a character, not a person. She doesn’t come off as scary the way Vincent does. She’s Abadon; someone playing a role.

TRISH ADORA PROMO- fine

FOUR CORNER SURVIVAL #1 CONTENDERSHIP MATCH: Quinn McKay vs. Trish Adora vs. Vita VonStarr vs. Holidead- 6/10
They did stuff. Holidead won. She’s a powerhouse and a veteran, so she’s a good match-up for champion Rok-C.

SECOND GEAR CREW PROMO- Good, except for the cameraperson’s inability to hold the f*cking thing in one spot.

BRISCOES PROMO- great
The map on those GCW tag titles is really f*cked up.

GCW TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: The Briscoes(c) vs. the Second Gear Crew (AJ Gray & Effy)- 6.75/10
The GCW belts were on the line so this was under GCW rules, I guess?
This was a good weapons brawl. With some really vicious-looking stuff. The Briscoes won. Jay offered Effy a handshake afterwards and Effy accepted.

BRODY KING PROMO- good

JONATHAN GRESHAM PROMO- okay
His cadence was way too over the top. I also didn’t like how Gresham, who , when he was Pure Champion, said that that was most important belt in ROH, now is suddenly saying that the world title is the most important thing to him.

JONATHAN GRESHAM vs. BRODY KING- 7.5/10
We were told that the winner of this match was all but assured a world title shot Final Battle. King got the advantage immediately with a running splash into the corner and a Gonzo Bomb for a nearfall… and unlike Danielson vs. Corino at Buffalo Stampede, these two didn’t squander it by having Brody not follow up offensively in an aggressive manner.
Gresham managed to even things out by ducking a chop, resulting in Brody chopping the ringpost, and giving Gresham an opening to go on to offensive and a body part to target. The hand essentially functioned as an “off” button than Gresham could go to any time needed to cut Brody off, at which pint he would switch to trying to beat him some other way. Brody sold well, which I wasn’t expecting. Gresham got the win. He feels like an appropriate choice to be ROH’s final world champion.
We got a nice little post-match bit with Gresham calling Brody back to the ring and telling him “this is your company as well.” He offered Brody a handshake, which Brody accepted. Gresham then said he wanted a title shot at Final Battle.

OGK PROMO- good
Bennett was meh. The Kingdom as an idea does not have the babyface cache that he seemed to be relying on. Taven was excellent, although his promo definitely makes me think that ROH won’t be coming back.

LFI PROMO- AWESOME!
It’s astounding to me that Kenny King has never had a main event run anywhere. He’s such a great talker.

ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: La Faccion Ingobernable (Kenny King & Dragon Lee)(c) (w/Bestia del Ring) vs. OGK (Matt Taven & Mike Bennett)- 5.75/10
Shane Taylor was on commentary for this match. He will face Kenny King at Final Battle. It should not have taken anywhere near this long to get a singles match booked between these two.
Amy Rose sent Max The Impaler out to stop Bestia from interfering, allowing the babyfaces to win. Well… if the promotion is winding down, you might as well tie up as many loose ends as possible. The match itself was a little disappointing. Only getting eleven minutes didn’t help, but pretty much everything else we’ve seen so far tonight got less time than that, so it’s not an excuse. This match just felt like it was missing something. The action was decent and there was good intensity on both sides, but it just didn’t click. The title chance frees the titles up to be defended at Final Battle while delivering on the King vs. Taylor singles match.
Taven was VERY emotional after the match. If you’re looking for an indication that at lest the talent think that ROH isn’t coming back after Final Battle, Taven’s promo earlier and actions here (ending with him kissing the ROH logo being projected into the aisle) are the strongest evidence I’ve seen.

BANDIDO PROMO- good

NO DISQUALIFICATIONS MATCH: Demonic Flamita vs. Bandido-7.75/10
EC III was on commentary for this match because… well… because Delirious hates me, personally, I think. He spent the whole match spouting the vapid bullsh*t he has been saying since he showed up in ROH.
Flamita worked the knee. They had a great no DQs by mixing weapons, Lucha, and plain old emotion and storytelling. Bandido won, ending the feud and clearing the way for Gresham to challenge him at Final Battle.

This was show was a microcosm of ROH at the moment. It was uninspired and mediocre, despite some bright points, but even those bright points felt choked off by things not being given enough time. I’m sure I’ll say this again next month, but with each day that goes by, ROH’s imminent demise feel more and more like a necessary mercy killing.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3