BRM Reviews ECW Sandman Returns (FanCam 10/23/1999)

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

BRM Reviews ECW Sandman Returns (FanCam 10/23/1999)

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 12th, '16, 19:20

ECW Sandman Returns (10/23/1999)- Philadelphia, PA

OPENING SEGMENT- Joey Styles comes out to welcome everyone to the show. Then Sign Guy Dudley comes out and renames himself Lou E. Dangerously. I couldn’t hear most of what he said because the fans were chanting rude things at him. The fans wanted Paul E. to come out and deal with this imposter, but instead of Heyman they got the return of Mikey Whipwreck. Instead of dealing with Lou E. Dangerously, Mikey made a deal with him, so Lou would manage Mikey tonight in his…

ECW WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE MATCH: Mike Awesome(c) (w/Judge Jeff Jones) vs. Mikey Whipwreck (w/Lou E. Dangerously)- 4.75/10 but great for what it was.
Welcome back to ECW, Mikey Whipwreck. Here’s a big mean badass to kill you with an Awesome Bomb out of the ring through a table.

NOVA vs. CHRIS CANDIDO (w/Tammy Sytch)- 6.5/10
They were having a good match until Tammy distracted Nova when he went to the top rope… and then some guy I didn’t recognize came out from the back, grabbed Tammy by the back, made out with her, and then carried her away. Even worse, this didn’t wind up mattering much in the match because although Tammy’s distraction did buy Candido time to recover and hit Nova with a Superplex, Nova DDTed him and pinned him two moves later. I was then even more confused a few moments later when Tammy and the mystery man came back out to ringside and all four celebrated together.

DORING, ROADKILL, & MISS CONGENIALITY COME OUT FOR A PROMO- a historic and yet extremely uncomfortable segment.
Doring comes out to cut a promo but he is soon interrupted by Cyrus and the debuting Elektra. He offers to let Doring bone Elektra. Roadkill seems to want to bone Elektra as well, so Doring decides to go with his in-ring partner and dumps his out-of-ring partner, in a very harsh manner. Miss Congeniality is understandably upset and slaps Doring, so he kicks her in the gut and lays her out with Wham, Bam, Thank You Ma’am. Then Roadkill gives her the big splash, and Doring and Roadkill walk off with their new valet. Don’t feel too bad for Miss Congeniality, though, as I think she’ll come out of this with the better end of the deal when all is said and done. I’ve heard Stamford is looking for redheads who can do moonsaults.

THREE-WAY DANCE: Super Crazy vs. Spike Dudley vs. Little Guido (w/Big Guido)- 7.75/10
They packed A LOT of action into this match.

SIMON DIAMOND PROMO- This might shock you, but Simon has a problem. He talks about his large muscular friend, “Dick” (Wikipedia tells me his last name is “Hertz”). Jazz eventually comes out and gets annoyed that Simon always seems to have a problem, so she lays him out with her finisher. Then she goes to pin him because apparently this is a match or something and a referee counts it, but Dick pulls Jazz off of Simon and hits her with some HUGE move. Jazz is stretchered off. This segment accomplished everything it set out to do, and was decently entertaining as well.

JERRY LYNN vs. YOSHIHIRO TAJIRI (w/Steve Corino & Jack Victory)- 8/10
AWESOME match! The story here was Jerry Lynn’s absolute refusal to stop fighting, despite the disadvantages of both injured ribs and the disreputable characters in Tajiri’s corner. One hell of a babyface performance.

KID KASH vs. “THE PRODIGY” TOM MARQUEZ- no rating
Whenever you see Tom Marquez’s name on an ECW card, it’s a pretty safe bet that the match won’t go very long before someone runs in to beat both guys up. This case it was multiple someones: Da Baldies.

AXL ROTTEN & BALLS MAHONEY vs. DA BALDIES (w/another Baldie)- 3/10
Da Baldies basically had a three-on-two advantage, but that was quickly negated when New Jack ran in, which got a huge pop (though nowhere close to the one that was to come). New Jack made his big comeback, but things came to an abrupt end when New Jack got staple-gunned in the face. I don’t know how much of this was a planned angle, but it certainly felt like one (although I wouldn’t be surprised if it wasn’t).

ECW TV TITLE MATCH: Rob Van Dam(c) (w/Bill Alfonso) vs. Sabu (w/Bill Alfonso)- 8.75/10
They started off with some great mat wrestling but the lame ECW crowd thought it was boring so they did some table spots and then spent the rest of the match telling the story of Rob and Sabu trying to kill each other with chairs until the time limit expired. Right before the time limit expired they actually went back to the mat wrestling, and their transition back to it was amazingly natural and flowed perfectly from what they had been doing before. Rob said that he wanted to keep kicking Sabu’s ass and Sabu obviously wanted to win the title so they went for another five minutes of killing each other with chairs until the time limit expired again. Rob said he was done but Sabu dove onto him in the entranceway, and the ref ordered the bell rung to start another five minutes of wrestling. That’s odd. You’d think that they’d need Rob’s consent to extend the match, but apparently not. They went another five minutes of mostly Sabu trying to kill Rob but Rob made a comeback and actually had the match probably won but Fonzie stopped him from going for the cover in time. There was also an earlier spot where Fonzie had helped Sabu behind Rob’s back. I don’t remember Fonzie and Rob ever breaking up, so I’m really curious as to where this wound up going. They went another five minutes, at which point the match was declared a draw for realsies. AWESOME match!

ECW WORLD TAG TEAM TITLE MATCH: Tommy Dreamer & Raven(c) (w/Francine) vs. The Impact Players (w/Dawn Marie & Jason)- 4/10
Dreamer and Raven got into a fight, Dreamer was the babyface in peril for a while, hot tags, more stuff happened, cat-fight, Rhino run-in, the Impact Players are about to win the belts but then the lights went off…
(But seriously… who turned the lights off? It seems like the office just screwed the Impact Players out of the titles.)
AND THE SANDMAN RETURNED TO ECW- you’ve all seen the clip. The place goes bonkers, Enter Sandman plays and he does his usual Sandman stuff on the way to the ring (including turning his back on the four heels while he is on the apron so he can drink a beer while facing the crowd. What a moron!). Then he gets into the ring, cracks Jason in the head with his Singapore cane, and the Impact Players bail while Corino and Victory come out to hold Rhino back, but they get caned in the head, too, while the crowd sings Enter Sandman. It’s one of the most iconic moments in the history of ECW. After a quick stare-down Raven slinks off, and Sandman, Tommy, and Francine celebrate.

A pretty awesome show from ECW, low quality (and lack of any sort of finish) of the main event, aside. It does, however, suffer from the usual fan-cam problems of promos being extremely hard to hear and absolutely terrible camerawork. With the amount of important storyline developments on this show, I'm baffled it was only filmed as a FanCam instead of a regular show with Joey doing commentary (and the fact that it was at the ECW Arena makes that even stranger). Even if the original plan was for this to be a FanCam-only show I'm shocked they didn't go back and add commentary and sell it on its own, and doubly shocked that RF Video never did so themselves after ECW folded.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: BRM Reviews ECW Sandman Returns (FanCam 10/23/1999)

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 19th, '20, 22:49

I just heard that Vampiro was originally planned to debut at this show and get pushed hard (he was asking for his release from WCW). Imagine how that changes the way this show is remembered.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3