My thoughts on WCW

WCW, ECW, UPW, etc
Big Red Machine

Re: My thoughts on WCW

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 29th, '11, 21:40

yourcrapsweak wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:Hogan could go. Watch some of his Japan stuff. He wasn't great, but he was competent. He had a lot more than the 8 moves that people credit him with.
I've seen his matches with Inoki. They were alright. But he didn't bring it in WWF at all when it came to wrestling ability, it was all about his presence. That's why Vince pushed him, which was my point.

Hogan could have put on better matches if he had wanted to. The dude was just lazy.

But I think didn't state my original point correctly. What I meant was that, in the Powerplant, they focused on making sure that the guys looked big and muscular, rather than teaching them to wrestle well. WWE finds guys who fit the look they want, then try to teach them to wrestle.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

ECWFlairfan

Post by ECWFlairfan » Mar 30th, '11, 06:05

Big Red Machine wrote:WWE finds guys who fit the look they want, then try to teach them to wrestle.
And who are WWE's top WRESTLERS right now? CM Punk & Daniel Bryan... hardly muscular wouldn't you say? Morrison is next but I would argue he's just cut, not muscular (aka the muscles aren't big in comparison to the larger guys)...

On a side note, WWE sends Husky Harris back to FCW to get rid of his "Dusty Rhodes" look & call up Brodus Clay, who looks like Bastion Booger??? What the heck???

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Mar 30th, '11, 11:28

ECWFlairfan wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:WWE finds guys who fit the look they want, then try to teach them to wrestle.
And who are WWE's top WRESTLERS right now? CM Punk & Daniel Bryan... hardly muscular wouldn't you say? Morrison is next but I would argue he's just cut, not muscular (aka the muscles aren't big in comparison to the larger guys)...
The big break-off point in terms of the change in WWE from wrestling to look seems to be about mid 2005. Punk's signing (or, really, WWE's desire to sign him- he didn't actually sign his contract until July 8th, which we know because we have footage of him doing so on ROH's Sign of Dishonor- the Summer of Punk was AWESOME!) was just before that cut-off.

But in general, that is the point we are making. The best wrestlers (meaning guys with the best in-ring ability) in WWE aren't the ones who were trained by WWE:
Taker
Cena
Triple H
Morrison
Punk
Dragon
Edge
Christian
Del Rio
Mysterio (not now, but you know what I mean)
Orton
Evan Bourne
William Regal
None of them trained exclusively (and more importantly, it seems, initially) by WWE.

This is the big difference between OVW and FCW. FCW is 100% WWE-run. OVW was not. Some trainers and top office staff there were WWE employees (Lance Storm, Jim Cornette, Al Snow) who were there to teach guys so that the ones who were under WWE contract would get better, but not everyone there was under WWE contract, and everyone who came through there was also trained by Danny Davis and his not 100% WWE staff.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

kaveman1969

Post by kaveman1969 » Apr 4th, '11, 23:08

My thoughts on WCW was that it stunk. I hated it. When they broke ties with NWA it went downhill, for both of them.

I loved the NWA on TBS with Flair as champion. They just lost something when they became WCW. A lot of you guys probably loved it, but to me, it was like losing the serious promotion.
I watched the WWF, and when Hogan came in and took over it all went to crap, for a wrestling fan. The first couple years were OK, but then it just got bad.
WCW was like that for me. The NWA was always the most respected of the big three at the time, and to throw away that lineage and respect, that didn't work for me.