Charles "The Godfather" Wright Announced for the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Charles "The Godfather" Wright Announced for the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016

Post by cero2k » Feb 22nd, '16, 13:35

Source: f4wonline.com

WWE officially announced Monday through Bleacher Report's Jonathan Snowden that Charles "The Godfather" Wright will join Sting in the 2016 WWE Hall of Fame class.

The Freebirds, Jacqueline and announcer John Bradshaw Layfield are also expected to be announced in the upcoming weeks, while the Wright announcement is expected to be announced on Raw tonight.

Wright, who started his career as the Soul Taker in Memphis, was a Monster Factory trainee after being a high school basketball star in San Jose, CA. Mark "Undertaker" Calaway, who had been friends with him before both were in WWE, arranged for him to meet with WWE officials. They liked his size at 6-foot-5 and 320 pounds at the time which was a lot of what main events were based on in that era.

He started as Papa Shango, doing a voodoo gimmick, feuding with Ultimate Warrior. The character got a big push and a lot of attention, but had a mixed reaction. He had a second run as Kama The Supreme Fighting Machine, modeled after Kimo, a UFC star in that era. He then changed to Kama Mustafa in the Nation of Domination before eventually finding the role he's most remembered for as The Godfather, who started as a heel but became a strong show opening babyface, mostly for his ring entrance coming to the ring with distinctive music with his "ho's", and then mostly doing short matches.

Between stints and after wrestling, Wright worked managing a strip club in Las Vegas.

XIV

Re: Charles "The Godfather" Wright Announced for the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016

Post by XIV » Feb 22nd, '16, 14:58

I hope this based more off the Shango gimmick...
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Re: Charles "The Godfather" Wright Announced for the WWE Hall of Fame Class of 2016

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 22nd, '16, 17:45

Yeah... they should give this thing up at this point.

I said it years ago: Their yearly quotas are going to kill this thing. If you want to induct seven or eight guys per year, eventually you're going to want up putting in the Godfather.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 22nd, '16, 18:59

Big Red Machine wrote:Yeah... they should give this thing up at this point.

I said it years ago: Their yearly quotas are going to kill this thing. If you want to induct seven or eight guys per year, eventually you're going to want up putting in the Godfather.
Next year on The Hall of Fame. Val Venis. Molly Holly. The Mean Street Posse and Shawn Stasiak.
Have A Nice Day!

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 22nd, '16, 22:27

But I'm crazy for thinking Bossman or Bigelow should go in

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 22nd, '16, 23:29

badnewzxl wrote:But I'm crazy for thinking Bossman or Bigelow should go in
Yes. You are crazy for thinking that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 23rd, '16, 05:58

Big Red Machine wrote:
My only point is if you put in guys like Godfather, why not Bossman? If Koko B Ware makes the slate why not Bam Bam? Seriously.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 23rd, '16, 07:43

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
My only point is if you put in guys like Godfather, why not Bossman? If Koko B Ware makes the slate why not Bam Bam? Seriously.
I think that Koko needs to be looked at as an aberration. A mistake that WWE acknowledges should never have happened. That's why we never hear them talk about "WWE Hall of Famer Koko B. Ware." He's a guy who shouldn't be in there and everyone knows it, so for the good of us all, let's all just pretend he isn't. Having one Koko B. War ein the Hall of Fame is bad enough. Using his presense to justify the induction of fifteen more Koko B. Wares is just flushing the whole thing down the toilet. And (partially due to their ridiculous quotas, both in terms of the high number of guys each year, plus the combination of their minority quotas with their "living person" requirements, all being limited by their own beliefs on who is acceptable to go in [no e.g. Jumping Bomb Angels]) fifteen Koko B. Wares is exactly the direction we are heading in by induction people like Godfather and Rikishi and some of the other rumored names (even Razor Ramon is borderline to me at best, IMO).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 23rd, '16, 09:27

badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote:
Bossman was in hell in a cells, dragged corpses around a cemetery, and was a former Hardcore and Tag Team champ. he deserves it ore than Godfather!!

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 23rd, '16, 09:47

cero2k wrote:
badnewzxl wrote:
Big Red Machine wrote: Yes. You are crazy for thinking that.
Bossman was in hell in a cells, dragged corpses around a cemetery, and was a former Hardcore and Tag Team champ. he deserves it ore than Godfather!!
Bossman was in the the worst Hell in a Cell match ever. He was in a stupid dog pound Match. He drags a coffin ridden by Big Show around a cemetery. It is not good practice to allow this man into Hall of Fame.

Shawn Stasiak is a 15 time Hardcore Champion. Should he be allowed in on that basis?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 23rd, '16, 10:19

XIV wrote:
cero2k wrote: Bossman was in hell in a cells, dragged corpses around a cemetery, and was a former Hardcore and Tag Team champ. he deserves it ore than Godfather!!
Bossman was in the the worst Hell in a Cell match ever. He was in a stupid dog pound Match. He drags a coffin ridden by Big Show around a cemetery. It is not good practice to allow this man into Hall of Fame.

Shawn Stasiak is a 15 time Hardcore Champion. Should he be allowed in on that basis?
well, his combined wins don't even make a single day as champion. Bossman was like 154 days.

but anyways, there is nothing that the Godfather did that makes him more deserving than Bossman who was an actual iconic wrestler of the 90s. everyone remembers the police officer

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 23rd, '16, 10:27

cero2k wrote:
XIV wrote:
cero2k wrote: Bossman was in hell in a cells, dragged corpses around a cemetery, and was a former Hardcore and Tag Team champ. he deserves it ore than Godfather!!

well, his combined wins don't even make a single day as champion. Bossman was like 154 days.

but anyways, there is nothing that the Godfather did that makes him more deserving than Bossman who was an actual iconic wrestler of the 90s. everyone remembers the police officer
I would argue that Bossman is more deserving than the Godfather, but not necessarily more deserving than Charles Wright in all of his roles put together. At no point was the Bossman someone who the TV was built around. With Rikishi (I don't think he should be in, either) at least they tried to make him a big deal for about a month. Godfather was an undercard jamoke most of his time in WWE, whether he had titles or not. He was a one-note character. Papa Shango was someone they at least tried to do something with... it's just that that something was notoriously horrible. Neither guy belongs near the Hall of Fame.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 23rd, '16, 11:22

Did anyone here watch WWF in the late 80s and early 90s? Bossman was hella over before he left for WCW. He was probably the number 3 or 4 face in the company!

XIV you need to check out the network BC the stuff you brought up shows your age a bit too much, homie.

BRM: what did Charles Wright achieve that makes him more worthy than Bossman? Papa Shango was a fun gimmick but it was a joke! Nobody got into it back in the day. He was kinda cool, but everyone knew that just like Kamala, Mr. Hughes, Giant Gonzalez, etc he was just there to get his ass kicked by Taker. Then as Kama he was absolutely forgettable. The Godfather is a great gimmick, but so is Bossman.

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 23rd, '16, 11:24

cero2k wrote:
XIV wrote:

Thank you! Bossman spot when he was around was waaay higher profile than Godfathers ever was.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 23rd, '16, 11:38

badnewzxl wrote:Did anyone here watch WWF in the late 80s and early 90s? Bossman was hella over before he left for WCW. He was probably the number 3 or 4 face in the company!

XIV you need to check out the network BC the stuff you brought up shows your age a bit too much, homie.

BRM: what did Charles Wright achieve that makes him more worthy than Bossman? Papa Shango was a fun gimmick but it was a joke! Nobody got into it back in the day. He was kinda cool, but everyone knew that just like Kamala, Mr. Hughes, Giant Gonzalez, etc he was just there to get his ass kicked by Taker. Then as Kama he was absolutely forgettable. The Godfather is a great gimmick, but so is Bossman.
Papa Shango was the #2 or #3 heel for a few months, which is about the same amount of time Bossman was really a high-ranking face for. Just being over for a while does not make you Hall of Fame-worthy. Davey Boy, Luger, and Sid were much more main eventers in the early 90's than Bossman ever was, and none of them are in the hall. Ken Anderson was over for a while. Would you put him in the Hall of Fame? How about Kofi Kingston?

And Godfather was not a "great" gimmick. It was fun, but in no way was it great. Bossman was closer to "great" but still not what I would call a "great" gimmick.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 23rd, '16, 12:53

badnewzxl wrote: XIV you need to check out the network BC the stuff you brought up shows your age a bit too much, homie.
20 years of watching wrestling behind me. I'm bound to show my age at various points!
Have A Nice Day!

badnewzxl

Post by badnewzxl » Feb 23rd, '16, 21:33

XIV wrote:
badnewzxl wrote: XIV you need to check out the network BC the stuff you brought up shows your age a bit too much, homie.
20 years of watching wrestling behind me. I'm bound to show my age at various points!
Well look back to those five before then and you'll see Bossman making crowds go wild. You have no excuse for remembering only late 90s Bossman. Hell, he was popular enough for WWE to attempt to create a character around (I.E. Nailz). Name me another character that spawned other characters without being pretty fucking over, I dare you.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 23rd, '16, 23:43

badnewzxl wrote:
XIV wrote:
Well look back to those five before then and you'll see Bossman making crowds go wild. You have no excuse for remembering only late 90s Bossman. Hell, he was popular enough for WWE to attempt to create a character around (I.E. Nailz). Name me another character that spawned other characters without being pretty fucking over, I dare you.
I'm familiar with early 90's Bossman. Good solid worker. But just never really did much.

Why should he go in above Val Venis for example? Venis has been in WWE championship matches and was super over at varying points.

Why should he go in above Christian. 2x Workd Champion. Multi time IC and Tag Champion. Super over at various points.

My point is not against Big Bossman. It's about whether he's truly worthy to sit alongside such names as Ric Flair, Dusty Rhodes, Arn Anderson, Macho Man, Hulk Hogan.

Sadly for Bossman, he doesn't compare to those names at all and his contribution is far less.
Have A Nice Day!