Participants for this year's NJPW G1 Climax tournament announced

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Participants for this year's NJPW G1 Climax tournament announced

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 17th, '18, 18:16

Source: www.F4WOnline.com

By Bryan Rose | @br26 | Jun 17, 2018 3:56 am

There were no surprises in this year’s G1 Climax 28 announcements.

Twenty names were announced for this year’s tournament, all a member of the New Japan roster. Champions Kenny Omega, Michael Elgin and Jay White will be competing, while top stars like Tetsuya Naito, Hiroshi Tanahashi and Kazuchika Okada will also be in action. As far as debuts go, this will be the first tournament for both White and Hangman Page.

Block formatting for this year’s tournament will be revealed on tomorrow’s show, where it’s likely the roster will be split in two. The big matches for each show will be revealed on Tuesday morning’s show. It was also announced that all nineteen shows will feature English commentary.

Here is the full list of participants for this year’s G1 Climax 28 tournament:

Kenny Omega
Michael Elgin
Jay White
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Togi Makabe
Juice Robinson
Kazuchika Okada
Hirooki Goto
Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano
YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale
Tama Tonga
Hangman Page
Tetsuya Naito
EVIL
SANADA
Minoru Suzuki
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kota Ibushi
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Re: Participants for this year's NJPW G1 Climax tournament announced

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 17th, '18, 18:17

So basically it's the same as last year but with Jay White and Adam Page in while Yuji Nagata and the injured Kojima are out.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 17th, '18, 21:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 17th, '18, 18:17 So basically it's the same as last year but with Jay White and Adam Page in while Yuji Nagata and the injured Kojima are out.
which i don't particularly mind the exchange, but i'm already kinda dreading the Makabe matches

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 17th, '18, 21:22

cero2k wrote: Jun 17th, '18, 21:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 17th, '18, 18:17 So basically it's the same as last year but with Jay White and Adam Page in while Yuji Nagata and the injured Kojima are out.
which i don't particularly mind the exchange, but i'm already kinda dreading the Makabe matches
He'll be fine when he's in there with other big striker guys, plus I think they have even guys like Ibushi and Omega who can probably do some sort of cool flip to counter the Spider Suplex, and he could have a great underdog match against Juice. Plus, for some reason I think he and Tama Tonga could have a pretty great match together if given the time.

But yeah... he's definitely a guy I would ship to the combination of ROH/CMLL/RevPro for a month and use someone else (Finlay, just to take some falls?) in his G1 spot.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 08:15

it is a good indication when the person I dread the most is a guy that can still go given the motivation. I know Yano is there too, but his existence there i understand and every now and then I do enjoy his shtick matches.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 08:17

A Block --

Togi Makabe
Michael Elgin
Hiroshi Tanahashi
Kazuchika Okada
Jay White
YOSHI-HASHI
Bad Luck Fale
Hangman Page
EVIL
Minoru Suzuki

B Block --

Juice Robinson
Hirooki Goto
Tomohiro Ishii
Toru Yano
Tama Tonga
SANADA
Tetsuya Naito
Zack Sabre Jr.
Kenny Omega
Kota Ibushi

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 08:24

Tanahashi v Okada
White WILL defeat Okada (calling it)
Ibushi vs Omega
Omega vs Sabre
Suzuki v White
Suzuki v Page

there's some good stuff all around. Ibushi vs Okada for the finals

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 09:20

cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 08:24 Tanahashi v Okada
White WILL defeat Okada (calling it)
Ibushi vs Omega
Omega vs Sabre
Suzuki v White
Suzuki v Page

there's some good stuff all around. Ibushi vs Okada for the finals
I agree that White will beat Okada, but I think that, given his story so far, if he does this, he NEEDS to get a title shot, but I'm skeptical they'll spend the KOPW title shot on Jay White, and they haven't had any IWGP Heavyweight Title defenses at either Destruction or Power Struggle in the past two years so.

Ibushi vs. Okada seems like a good pick for the finals, but I wouldn't count Naito out, either.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 10:31

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 09:20

I agree that White will beat Okada, but I think that, given his story so far, if he does this, he NEEDS to get a title shot, but I'm skeptical they'll spend the KOPW title shot on Jay White, and they haven't had any IWGP Heavyweight Title defenses at either Destruction or Power Struggle in the past two years so.

Ibushi vs. Okada seems like a good pick for the finals, but I wouldn't count Naito out, either.
Except Okada has no title to offer White

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 11:36

cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 10:31
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 09:20

Except Okada has no title to offer White
No. I mean White vs. Omega. He's been saying he wants a shot at that title since he joined CHAOS, and now that a CHAOS member doesn't have the belt anymore and if he proves he could have beaten Okada, then it makes perfect sense for him to challenge Omega (also, it would get Omega his win back).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 11:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 11:36
No. I mean White vs. Omega. He's been saying he wants a shot at that title since he joined CHAOS, and now that a CHAOS member doesn't have the belt anymore and if he proves he could have beaten Okada, then it makes perfect sense for him to challenge Omega (also, it would get Omega his win back).
ohh ok. I can see White vs Omega happening at something like Destruction.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 12:08

cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 11:59
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 11:36
ohh ok. I can see White vs Omega happening at something like Destruction.
Which is why I'm worried that it won't happen... because the title hasn't been defended at Destruction in years, even when it made perfect sense like when Fale pinned Okada in the G1 and then they had them face off at Destruction in a non-title match where Okada got his win back.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 12:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:08 Which is why I'm worried that it won't happen... because the title hasn't been defended at Destruction in years, even when it made perfect sense like when Fale pinned Okada in the G1 and then they had them face off at Destruction in a non-title match where Okada got his win back.
there's also options to do it in the UK or US now too, especially a match up like this, i wouldn't put it past NJPW running another show overseas towards the end of the year

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 18th, '18, 12:46

cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:35
Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:08 Which is why I'm worried that it won't happen... because the title hasn't been defended at Destruction in years, even when it made perfect sense like when Fale pinned Okada in the G1 and then they had them face off at Destruction in a non-title match where Okada got his win back.
there's also options to do it in the UK or US now too, especially a match up like this, i wouldn't put it past NJPW running another show overseas towards the end of the year
True... though if they're going to give White a title shot outside of Japan, it seems like the best place to do that would be a return to Australia (all accounts seem to say that February's tour went well, and it's also probably not a terrible idea to try to cultivate Fale's skills as a promoter in case you want a dedicated head of Australia/Oceania region promotion at some point in the future).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '18, 13:36

Big Red Machine wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:46
cero2k wrote: Jun 18th, '18, 12:35
True... though if they're going to give White a title shot outside of Japan, it seems like the best place to do that would be a return to Australia (all accounts seem to say that February's tour went well, and it's also probably not a terrible idea to try to cultivate Fale's skills as a promoter in case you want a dedicated head of Australia/Oceania region promotion at some point in the future).
i keep forgetting he's from New Zealand and not Brit