Jim Cornette Returning to Commentary Booth For NWA 70th Anniversary Show

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Jim Cornette Returning to Commentary Booth For NWA 70th Anniversary Show

Post by cero2k » Sep 24th, '18, 10:56

Source: 411mania.com

– Jim Cornette will be making his return to the commentary booth for the upcoming NWA seventieth anniversary show. The NWA announced the news on Sunday, as you can see below. Joe Galli is the lead play-by-play man for for the show.

The 70th anniversary show takes place on October 21st in Nashville, Tennesse and will feature a rematch between Cody and Nick Aldis for the NWA World Heavyweight Championship.

Bob-O

Re: Jim Cornette Returning to Commentary Booth For NWA 70th Anniversary Show

Post by Bob-O » Sep 25th, '18, 10:39

Ooooooooh.... I don't know about this.

It looks good on paper, but he's so salty about modern wrestling that he could ruin the whole show one way or another. Whether he's just being himself and shitting on everything or stealing the spotlight, he's a risk these days.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE listening to Corny tell stories and give his perspective on things from 20 years ago. But he's so disconnected with what modern fans want, I just don't care about what he has to say about current events anymore. I know a lot of it is because his little rants on today's product keep his name out there, but it's just the same old tired shit.

If he's an asshole on this show it'll ruin it. If he's not, he's a hypocrite.

It's like the dude that rage-quits his job, but keeps in touch with everyone so he can still complain about it. As personel continues to turn over and dude knows less and less people, he continues bitching about the job he hasn't had in years and how all the new people he doesn't know all suck too... until he asks for his job back, rage-quitting again two weeks later because it "sucks now and nobody knows what they're doing". We all know that guy.

Bumblefucks.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 25th, '18, 11:08

Bob-O wrote: Sep 25th, '18, 10:39 Ooooooooh.... I don't know about this.

It looks good on paper, but he's so salty about modern wrestling that he could ruin the whole show one way or another. Whether he's just being himself and shitting on everything or stealing the spotlight, he's a risk these days.

if there is any show that Cornette may be ok with it's the new NWA. Tim Storm is as old school as old school can get, Aldis vs Cody at ALL IN was super old school, none of the things that Cornette usual complains about, so I think this can be a good mix.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Sep 26th, '18, 00:30

cero2k wrote: Sep 25th, '18, 11:08
Bob-O wrote: Sep 25th, '18, 10:39 Ooooooooh.... I don't know about this.

if there is any show that Cornette may be ok with it's the new NWA. Tim Storm is as old school as old school can get, Aldis vs Cody at ALL IN was super old school, none of the things that Cornette usual complains about, so I think this can be a good mix.
Fair enough, and it's in Tennessee, so they'd be smart to book things in a Cornette mindset.

Honest question, though: How is Billy running things these days? Beyond Storm and Aldis, I'm not aware of an NWA "roster". Is it safe to say Cody will be bringing some buddies with him to fill out the card?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 26th, '18, 01:00

Bob-O wrote: Sep 26th, '18, 00:30
Fair enough, and it's in Tennessee, so they'd be smart to book things in a Cornette mindset.

Honest question, though: How is Billy running things these days? Beyond Storm and Aldis, I'm not aware of an NWA "roster". Is it safe to say Cody will be bringing some buddies with him to fill out the card?
there's really no roster, as the old NWA, Billy is making use of other promotions and their rosters to get some stories and matches under the nwa banner. Right now, what's really driving this whole thing is the youtube series that they started when Tim Storm won the title, his feud with Josephus, Aldis coming in, the 20Lbs of Gold series, and now the whole Aldis vs Cody thing. This show is supposed to debut a new championship, so I think they're slowly going to add more stories and titles and still defend them around the country.

Given the complete lack of infrastructure, Corgan is doing pretty well and not just creating another generic promotion like the other 500 ones we already have in the country. But no, i doubt Cody is bringing his crew to fill out the card, I don't think Corgan has the money nor interest in the bucks/scurll, maybe Page since he is closer to what the NWA is going for.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 26th, '18, 09:26

I'm really not that big a fan of Cornette as a commentator. He's good in the role of a manager doing commentary to put over his wrestlers and storylines, but as the assigned color commentator for a promotion, I haven't really enjoyed him much, either in WCW, WWF, or OVW.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3