Sasha Banks Update

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Re: Sasha Banks Update

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 13th, '19, 23:35

Bob-O wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:19 Her poor attitude is mind boggling.

Yes, they lobbied for the titles to be a thing. Yes, they were told things that didn't pan out... "panning out" isn't exactly WWE's "thing" these days, so I'm shocked that she's shocked (down by the sea shore).

With Rhonda gone, it absolutely blows my mind that instead of trying to position herself in a top spot on Raw or Smackdown, she'd rather take to social media and throw a temper tantrum. Instead of pitching a scenario where Boss/Hug chase the titles, she'd rather be an idiot.

I'm not defending WWE here, but The Iiconics aren't a bad call (they steered clear of the Road To Wrestlemania burials), and I'll continue to be frustrated for Asuke, Bayley, The Revival and such... but Sasha is a piece of shit, a "victim", and I think they should hold the door for her. She's cancer and she looks like a Muppet.
The IIconics are a bad call because they're goofs. They didn't get buried on the way to Mania because they've been getting buried since their third week on the main roster, and nowhere close to enough was done to build them up en route to this win, either. One dirty win over the tag champs doesn't undo eleven months of jobber-hood. The worst thing you can do for an unestablished championship is to let goofs hold it.
Even taking the belts off of Sasha & Bayley was a terrible idea because you need to establish the belts, and changing them two months in just because it's Wrestleania and you want to change some belts doesn't do that.

Is Sasha acting out of line? Yes. But I don't think she's wrong to be upset. I also don't think she's being an idiot at all. I think she's trying to get fired, which would instantly make her the biggest free agent in wrestling, and at a time when both ROH and AEW are desperate for top-name female talent that can carry an entire women's division on her own. Sasha is that. Also, the last guys to complain (The Revival) were given exactly what they wanted, so it's hard for me to blame Sasha for trying the same thing.

And trying to position herself as a top singles name now would be a terrible idea. They're not taking the belts off of Becky anytime soon, and WWE almost never books a women's undercard, so trying to be a tag champ (especially with those belts being so shiny and new) is the most prominent position she has a chance of being in.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Apr 14th, '19, 14:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 The IIconics are a bad call because they're goofs. They didn't get buried on the way to Mania because they've been getting buried since their third week on the main roster, and nowhere close to enough was done to build them up en route to this win, either. One dirty win over the tag champs doesn't undo eleven months of jobber-hood. The worst thing you can do for an unestablished championship is to let goofs hold it.
Not saying it's the right call, but there's worse. Sasha and Bayley are a boring pair, The Iiconics are the most entertaining female act in the company. Iiconics make more sense than The Riot Squad, who've spent the last few months getting their asses kicked.
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 The worst thing you can do for an unestablished championship is to let goofs hold it.
I disagree. The WORST thing you can do for an unestablished championship is make it unimportant. The Iiconics Wrestlemania Moment... with the hugging and the crying... did more for that championship than Bayley and Sasha have since acquiring them. Traveling Champions was a noble concept, but they DIDN'T DO it! They didn't do ANYTHING! They were boring champions. Not saying that's on Bayley and Sasha, most certainly not, but for the sake of the importance of the titles and the reality of the world we're in, the title change did more for the championship than a retention would have. The Iiconics might be goofs, but all it's going to take out of them is one good match and they'll be the "goofs that can get it done in the ring". Not sure about Billie, but Peyton is absolutely capable of hanging with any woman on the roster. I think she's underrated.
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 I also don't think she's being an idiot at all. I think she's trying to get fired, which would instantly make her the biggest free agent in wrestling, and at a time when both ROH and AEW are desperate for top-name female talent that can carry an entire women's division on her own. Sasha is that

Agree to disagree, but time will tell I guess. I don't think Sasha is that. I think Sasha is good enough to have good matches with average talent, but I think she would disappoint whoever hired her to carry their entire women's division on her own.
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 And trying to position herself as a top singles name now would be a terrible idea.
I don't see them spending much more time on Charlotte vs Becky... I'd think trying to position yourself as a challenger to the titles would be far more productive to one's career than whining over social media.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 14th, '19, 15:32

Bob-O wrote: Apr 14th, '19, 14:15
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 The IIconics are a bad call because they're goofs. They didn't get buried on the way to Mania because they've been getting buried since their third week on the main roster, and nowhere close to enough was done to build them up en route to this win, either. One dirty win over the tag champs doesn't undo eleven months of jobber-hood. The worst thing you can do for an unestablished championship is to let goofs hold it.
Not saying it's the right call, but there's worse. Sasha and Bayley are a boring pair, The Iiconics are the most entertaining female act in the company. Iiconics make more sense than The Riot Squad, who've spent the last few months getting their asses kicked.
But then again, putting them on the Riott Squad doesn't squander a future potential big babyface moment in The IIconics winning the tag titles by giving it to them as heels. And either way "they could have made even worse decisions" is not an adequate defense.
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 The worst thing you can do for an unestablished championship is to let goofs hold it.
I disagree. The WORST thing you can do for an unestablished championship is make it unimportant. The Iiconics Wrestlemania Moment... with the hugging and the crying... did more for that championship than Bayley and Sasha have since acquiring them. Traveling Champions was a noble concept, but they DIDN'T DO it! They didn't do ANYTHING! They were boring champions. Not saying that's on Bayley and Sasha, most certainly not, but for the sake of the importance of the titles and the reality of the world we're in, the title change did more for the championship than a retention would have. The Iiconics might be goofs, but all it's going to take out of them is one good match and they'll be the "goofs that can get it done in the ring". Not sure about Billie, but Peyton is absolutely capable of hanging with any woman on the roster. I think she's underrated.
Maybe it did more for the titles than Bayley and Sasha retaining in this four-way would have done, but if that's your logic then having Beth & Nattie win would have been better for the titles, or having Sasha & Bayley retain against Beth & Nattie in a regular tag match would have been better for the titles. Anyone can cry when they win a title. If they want me to think the belts are important then they need to do things like have people on the undercard actually fighting for #1 contendership. As you noted, your failure to care about the titles is on the company rather than on Sasha & Bayley... but the same incompetence that caused you to not care about the previous champions is going to be at work with the new champions, too.
The IIconics have had a year to prove that they are goofs that can get it done in the ring, but they haven't been able to. Even when they've been booked to win, it has always been either cheating or something like the way they won the titles, which saw Beth hit her finisher and The IIconics steal her pin. Even if they were capable of delivering to that level, they'll never be given the chance to because of the way WWE books. Heels rarely get to win clean, and especially not goofs.
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 13th, '19, 23:35 And trying to position herself as a top singles name now would be a terrible idea.
I don't see them spending much more time on Charlotte vs Becky... I'd think trying to position yourself as a challenger to the titles would be far more productive to one's career than whining over social media.
Being a one-and-done challenger in a title match no one thinks you'll win is not productive. Until they take one of those belts off of Becky (which I think they're setting Dana Brooke up to do via MITB, based on Dana's promo this week), it's probably better to stay away from Becky and get built up for the future than it is to be challenging for the titles.
If this were some other company then I would agree with you. There is clearly an opening for Sasha Banks as a money-drawing heel right now. She and Asuka have only had one televised singles match (and never on a PPV) so that's something you can work with right there, and perhaps more importantly, Sasha has never lost to Becky Lynch in a singles match. Throw in Sasha's own "always loses the women's title in her first defense" thing and you've got my beloved "something has got to give" storyline finally come to life. But this is WWE and they don't look at things like that, so the best place for Sasha to be is far away from Becky.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3