Details On WWE's King Of The Ring Tournament

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Bob-O

Details On WWE's King Of The Ring Tournament

Post by Bob-O » Aug 15th, '19, 09:57

Source: pwinsider

The King of the Ring Tournament will kick off this week on Raw and Smackdown in St. Paul, Minnesota and Sioux Falls, South Dakota.

The second round will take place on the 8/26 RAW in New Orleans, LA and the 8/27 Smackdown Live in Baton Rouge, LA, according to local advertising.

The semi-finals will take place at the 9/9 and 9/10 Raw and Smackdown tapings in Madison Square Garden.

The finals will be held at the 9/15 Clash of Champions PPV in Charlotte, NC.

The following talents will be competing in the 2019 WWE King of the Ring tournament, starting next week on Monday Night Raw:

*Ali
*Andrade
*Apollo Crews
*Baron Corbin
*Buddy Murphy
*Cedric Alexander
*Cesaro
*Chad Gable
*Drew McIntyre
*Elias
*Kevin Owens
*The Miz
*Ricochet
*Sami Zayn
*Samoa Joe
*Shelton Benjamin

This will be the first KOTR tournament since 2015, where Bad News Barrett was crowned King.

KILLdozer

Re: Details On WWE's King Of The Ring Tournament

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 15th, '19, 10:02

Awh no. NOT the return of Baron Corbin...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 15th, '19, 11:00

It lost all relevance once they dropped it as a PPV. It used to contain talent they considered to be the next big thing. Now it's just contested on shows and is a backdrop.

I hope someone good wins it and just uses it to enhance their standing and doesn't just win it and become "King" to sell more action figures.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 15th, '19, 11:10

XIV wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:00 It lost all relevance once they dropped it as a PPV. It used to contain talent they considered to be the next big thing. Now it's just contested on shows and is a backdrop.

I hope someone good wins it and just uses it to enhance their standing and doesn't just win it and become "King" to sell more action figures.
It won't be Owens...WAY too many chances for him to get screwed over by Shane McMahon and company.

Andrade would be good if they're going to fully all the way with this Rey Mysterio thing...

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 15th, '19, 11:13

KILLdozer wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:10
XIV wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:00 It lost all relevance once they dropped it as a PPV. It used to contain talent they considered to be the next big thing. Now it's just contested on shows and is a backdrop.

It won't be Owens...WAY too many chances for him to get screwed over by Shane McMahon and company.

Andrade would be good if they're going to fully all the way with this Rey Mysterio thing...
The only person in that list it would possibly suit (without becoming a goofy king gimmick) is Drew McIntyre. If he can win it and use it to just say he's the best etc. It could enhance him.
Have A Nice Day!

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 15th, '19, 11:21

XIV wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:13

The only person in that list it would possibly suit (without becoming a goofy king gimmick) is Drew McIntyre. If he can win it and use it to just say he's the best etc. It could enhance him.
It could be a great moment for Ali to get a big win with his whole new "valiant hero, defender of what's good" gimmick he's been on lately.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Aug 15th, '19, 11:39

XIV wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:13

Not that it matters, but I'd love to see a bracket for speculation.

I like Drew, I could see a very Austin-esque KOTR win for him establishing him as more than just hired muscle. The same mentality would be a nice refresh on Cesaro as well, or a reset button on Corbin. Things might get goofy with the latter two, but I see it as a good thing for both.

I'd love to see Joe or Sami take it though, just for the promos. Even if short lived, there'd be a few weeks of absolute gold. Sami's yet to win a title on the main roster... throw the man a bone ffs...

Above all though, and even though he'd get buried in short order, "King Cedric" has such a nice ring to it that I really want to see it irl.

Good God, though. Looking over the field, regardless of the bracket, this tournament is going to deliver some great matchups. Nothing over 10 minutes is a given, but going in without that expectation, this should be a good time!
KILLdozer wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:21 It could be a great moment for Ali to get a big win with his whole new "valiant hero, defender of what's good" gimmick he's been on lately.
It could do a lot for a few people. Smug Ass Buddy Murphy, Houseplant Shelton Benjamin, Reinvented CAW Chad Gable...

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 15th, '19, 11:42

Agreed on both fronts. On the bright side, all it takes is one good year to make it mean something again.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 15th, '19, 11:43

Agreed about match-ups as well. I might fantasy hook thos one out just to see where it takes me.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Aug 15th, '19, 11:52

Cedric could be a surprise underdog...but I'm not sure if they're gonna push like that right now...

To the people saying McIntyre and it could give him new character besides muscle in the background....this IS the chance...just go all the way with it...

If he was to win...just fully use it as the springboard for a face turn...after it causes dissension between him and Shane and Elias....There you go.

XIV

Post by XIV » Aug 17th, '19, 02:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Aug 15th, '19, 11:42

Agreed on both fronts. On the bright side, all it takes is one good year to make it mean something again.
Absolutely, if WWE produce one good year, have the winner get a title shot or something and make it feel legitimate, you get the old buzz back and can consider putting it back into the PPV cycle.
Have A Nice Day!