Oney Lorcan Requests WWE Release

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Oney Lorcan Requests WWE Release

Post by cero2k » Nov 16th, '19, 19:34

Source: pwinsider.com

Oney Lorcan, aka the former Biff Busick, requested a WWE release at the end of last month, PWInsider.com has confirmed with multiple sources.

Lorcan, who teamed with Danny Burch in WWE NXT and 205 Live, has not yet been granted.

Lorcan was signed by WWE in September 2015 after strong runs in EVOLVE, Beyond Wrestling and CZW, among other companies.

Lorcan has reverted back to his former ring name, Biff Busick, on social media, but has not publicly commented on the matter.

Big Red Machine

Re: Oney Lorcan Requests WWE Release

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 16th, '19, 19:45

Huh.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 17th, '19, 07:09

Rumors are going around that he might get it.
word going around now is that they may be giving releases once again, at least to some talents, with the belief that those talents wouldn't be signing with AEW, or if they did, wouldn't help AEW any.
I could really see Oney tearing it up someplace like MLW, here's hoping they set him free!

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Nov 17th, '19, 09:47

At some point, they'll have to grant some releases. AEW isn't going to sign everyone like they're WWE or something, and I kinda doubt people like Hunico, Mike Bennett, B-Team, Ascension, other jobbers/lower midcarders are gonna move the needle in any capacity, even for the lower tier of promotions like ROH/Impact/MLW/NWA.

Out of curiosity, I looked at the WWE roster page on Cagematch and was shocked more than once to be reminded that "Oh right, X is still there" or "Oh, they signed Y?".

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 17th, '19, 20:37

Thelone wrote: Nov 17th, '19, 09:47 I kinda doubt people like Hunico, Mike Bennett, B-Team, Ascension, other jobbers/lower midcarders are gonna move the needle in any capacity, even for the lower tier of promotions like ROH/Impact/MLW/NWA.
You just never know, man...
Had somebody told me that CJ Parker would someday be one of my favorite wrestlers someplace else, I'd have said they were full of crap.

Of course, "succeeding" and "moving the needle" are two different things. I get what you're saying there, Tino Sabatelli could jump to Impact and win the title, it doesn't mean they're going to gain viewers.

There's guys that WWE doesn't have a use for, but would never let walk (Primo/Epico, Sami Zayn). But I see soooo much raw talent on WWE's roster that they apparently don't see any real value in, soooo many guys that I think COULD move the needle if given the opportunity. Bo Dallas, Heath Slater, Zack Ryder... so many guys I could see turning into really big deals in a different environment.

One man's Comacho is another's Tanga Loa...

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 18th, '19, 09:08

Thelone wrote: Nov 17th, '19, 09:47 At some point, they'll have to grant some releases. AEW isn't going to sign everyone like they're WWE or something, and I kinda doubt people like Hunico, Mike Bennett, B-Team, Ascension, other jobbers/lower midcarders are gonna move the needle in any capacity, even for the lower tier of promotions like ROH/Impact/MLW/NWA.
I do agree that in the WWE's eyes, all these guys may seem useless, but like Bob-O said, i think some people can fit in other places and make something out of it. A Windham and Hennig on NWA could be good, Hunico working Mexico could be good. Bennett's return to ROH to help Taven would be great, especially if he convinces Maria to come with him

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Nov 18th, '19, 11:06

I'm not saying that those guys would be worthless elsewhere, just that they wouldn't be major acquisitions and change a thing in the overall current wrestling landscape. Sure, they could reinvent themselves somewhere else and become more important, but no one would be like "OMG, IT'S JOE HENNIG/BO ROTUNDA/BIFF BUSICK/WHOEVER, THE WRESTLING WORLD CHANGED FOREVER TONIGHT!!!" right about now.

From all the names rumored so far, only Rusev and the Revival would feel like big deals. Lorcan is a weird one because they clearly don't see much in him besides being a good hand and he probably wants to be a bit more than that after four years, but I also don't think it's a bad place to be frankly.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Nov 18th, '19, 23:20

Thelone wrote: Nov 18th, '19, 11:06 I'm not saying that those guys would be worthless elsewhere, just that they wouldn't be major acquisitions and change a thing in the overall current wrestling landscape. Sure, they could reinvent themselves somewhere else and become more important, but no one would be like "OMG, IT'S JOE HENNIG/BO ROTUNDA/BIFF BUSICK/WHOEVER, THE WRESTLING WORLD CHANGED FOREVER TONIGHT!!!" right about now.
In the sense that you're thinking, in the current landscape you're absolutely right. The days of the huge WWF/WCW talent jumps are never going to happen again. Barring one-off situations like Moxley, WWE has done such a shitty job that nobody would care unless it were an Orton/Rollins/Reigns/Lesnar type of deal.

But I also think that line of thinking is outdated. Without getting into a debate of taste, step outside the box and look at Orange Cassidy. His AEW debut went viral, he was trending worldwide, and was one of the biggest stories coming out of All Out. Like it or not, he's one of the most over guys on that roster. He moved the needle.

The modern fan is bitter and wants to see Vince McMahon with egg on his face. They want to see those guys WWE pissed away succeed. If EC3 joined forces with MJF in AEW, people would watch. If Zack Ryder was given an opportunity without opposition from the back, I think he'd be a huge star and I'd tune in to watch it happen.

It's been so long since we've seen a star born, the potential of it is enough to move the needle.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Nov 19th, '19, 08:14

Bob-O wrote: Nov 18th, '19, 23:20In the sense that you're thinking, in the current landscape you're absolutely right. The days of the huge WWF/WCW talent jumps are never going to happen again. Barring one-off situations like Moxley, WWE has done such a shitty job that nobody would care unless it were an Orton/Rollins/Reigns/Lesnar type of deal.
Yeah, but that's kinda the point. I can understand the strategy of locking younger guys who could make a splash somewhere down the line (I'd say most people under 30), I also get the idea of locking people in their early to mid-thirties who have a decent following (Ryder, Zayn, most guys who were indy stars before joining really), but I don't get locking/keeping older and/or banged-up guys who have a limited shelf life and aren't stars anyway. Hunico going back to Mexico means jack shit because he's old and not a star (and just put Phantasma under the mask if you desperately want to keep the Sin Cara gimmick for whatever ungodly reason). Bennett and Maria going back to NJPW/Impact/ROH doesn't really matter because no one cares about them. [Insert fifty other guys who Vince should laugh at when they're asking for their pink slip/aren't re-signing]
But I also think that line of thinking is outdated. Without getting into a debate of taste, step outside the box and look at Orange Cassidy. His AEW debut went viral, he was trending worldwide, and was one of the biggest stories coming out of All Out. Like it or not, he's one of the most over guys on that roster. He moved the needle.
"Trending worldwide" and "going viral" means nothing if it doesn't translate in higher ticket sales/better TV ratings/PPV buyrates. I'm also very much in Cornette's camp (shocking I know) that OC's shit is just a fad and will die out with the next hot goofy gimmick.
The modern fan is bitter and wants to see Vince McMahon with egg on his face. They want to see those guys WWE pissed away succeed. If EC3 joined forces with MJF in AEW, people would watch. If Zack Ryder was given an opportunity without opposition from the back, I think he'd be a huge star and I'd tune in to watch it happen.

It's been so long since we've seen a star born, the potential of it is enough to move the needle.
Again, not saying that there aren't any spots for a lot of the current WWE guys and girls out there, just that I don't think many of them would be game changers even with a lot of work.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 08:20

Thelone wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 08:14
Bob-O wrote: Nov 18th, '19, 23:20
"Trending worldwide" and "going viral" means nothing if it doesn't translate in higher ticket sales/better TV ratings/PPV buyrates. I'm also very much in Cornette's camp (shocking I know) that OC's shit is just a fad and will die out with the next hot goofy gimmick.
THIS. No one is talking about Joey Ryan anymore.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 19th, '19, 12:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 08:20
everyone was talking about Ryan again about two weeks ago when Shamrock took the dick flick or whatever it's called

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 16:50

cero2k wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 12:22
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 08:20
everyone was talking about Ryan again about two weeks ago when Shamrock took the dick flick or whatever it's called
So they were talking about Ken Shamrock, then. Because I can assure you that Joey Ryan has done that spot several times a weekend, every weekend, for the past year.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 19th, '19, 17:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 16:50
So they were talking about Ken Shamrock, then. Because I can assure you that Joey Ryan has done that spot several times a weekend, every weekend, for the past year.
It takes two to tango, there ain't no dick to be flipped by without Ryan

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 17:35

cero2k wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 17:05
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 16:50
It takes two to tango, there ain't no dick to be flipped by without Ryan
There is a dick being flipped by Ryan every week and no one would have talked about it if Shamrock wasn't the flippee. The news story is not "Joey Ryan flips someone with his dick; isn't that a cool spot?" The headline is "Ken Shamrock agreed to do the dick-flip spot."

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 19th, '19, 18:22

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 17:35 There is a dick being flipped by Ryan every week and no one would have talked about it if Shamrock wasn't the flippee. The news story is not "Joey Ryan flips someone with his dick; isn't that a cool spot?" The headline is "Ken Shamrock agreed to do the dick-flip spot."
sure, but it's still Ryan's dick, no one else's. People 'agreeing' to take it is still news.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Nov 19th, '19, 18:27

cero2k wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 18:22
Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 17:35 There is a dick being flipped by Ryan every week and no one would have talked about it if Shamrock wasn't the flippee. The news story is not "Joey Ryan flips someone with his dick; isn't that a cool spot?" The headline is "Ken Shamrock agreed to do the dick-flip spot."
sure, but it's still Ryan's dick, no one else's. People 'agreeing' to take it is still news.
The point is that it's Shamrock making them talk about Joey, not the other way around.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Nov 19th, '19, 18:59

Big Red Machine wrote: Nov 19th, '19, 18:27 The point is that it's Shamrock making them talk about Joey, not the other way around.
Sure, but Joey is still part of the article