AEW airing first-ever mixed tag team match on Dark

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

AEW airing first-ever mixed tag team match on Dark

Post by cero2k » Feb 3rd, '20, 16:09

Source: f4wonline.com

Tuesday's edition of AEW Dark will feature the company's first-ever mixed tag team match featuring Kenny Omega and women's champion Riho against Kip Sabian and Penelope Ford.

The match was filmed on the recent Chris Jericho cruise, but it was unclear whether it would be made available for fans not on the cruise to see.

While the match is billed as a mixed tag, Dave Meltzer, who saw the match live on the ship, said it featured plenty of intergender wrestling between Sabian and Riho and Omega and Ford.

The tag was announced on Twitter in a skit where Sabian and Ford approached the Young Bucks and Omega asking for the match, giving a rationale that it was on international waters. This past summer following Fyter Fest, Tony Khan showed hesitancy in intergender wrestling in AEW when asked about it.

Dark will also feature Jurassic Express (Jungle Boy/Marko Stunt) vs. Sonny Kiss and Brandon Cutler, Hikaru Shida vs. Mel (Nightmare Collective), and Best Friends vs. Shawn Spears and Colin Delaney, who was making his promotional debut.

Big Red Machine

Re: AEW airing first-ever mixed tag team match on Dark

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 3rd, '20, 16:38

It appears that they're testing the waters.

(Get it? Because it's a boat?)
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 4th, '20, 09:38

Kenny Omega needs to get over his Japanese tiny girl fetish. That goon (who has stated he has a big say on the women's division) has booked Riho to go over much more credible people at the expense of what's actually best for business because he has this stupid fetish.

Riho is never going to be a star on American TV, I'm sorry, she just won't. They've buried people like Britt Baker, Kris Statlander and Nyla Rose who DO have the potential to be bigger draws in the American market.

the AEW women's roster sucks huge balls anyway, but continuing to allow Omega to use the division to further his little plaything's career is just horrific.

Fuck Omega.
Fuck Riho.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 4th, '20, 09:44

XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 09:38 Kenny Omega needs to get over his Japanese tiny girl fetish. That goon (who has stated he has a big say on the women's division) has booked Riho to go over much more credible people at the expense of what's actually best for business because he has this stupid fetish.

Riho is never going to be a star on American TV, I'm sorry, she just won't. They've buried people like Britt Baker, Kris Statlander and Nyla Rose who DO have the potential to be bigger draws in the American market.

the AEW women's roster sucks huge balls anyway, but continuing to allow Omega to use the division to further his little plaything's career is just horrific.

Fuck Omega.
Fuck Riho.
Riho is the most over woman and arguably best wrestler in their women's division, she is literally, aside from MAAYBE Statlander and Shida, the ONLY woman that brings in ratings and sells tickets.

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 4th, '20, 10:45

cero2k wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 09:44
XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 09:38 Kenny Omega needs to get over his Japanese tiny girl fetish. That goon (who has stated he has a big say on the women's division) has booked Riho to go over much more credible people at the expense of what's actually best for business because he has this stupid fetish.

Fuck Omega.
Fuck Riho.
Riho is the most over woman and arguably best wrestler in their women's division, she is literally, aside from MAAYBE Statlander and Shida, the ONLY woman that brings in ratings and sells tickets.
The problem with AEW is that it is a false economy with crowd reactions... because everything they do is already over with that crowd, it isn't really gaining too much new support from the casual viewer.

Look at Orange Cassidy, the bloke literally mocks the wrestling business with his antics, it's not talent, it's just bullshit, but the crowd pops for it... because he's already over with that niche crowd. To the casual wrestling fan (particularly old school wrestling fans) they think he's a joke and rightly so.

I have nothing against Riho's talent. She just doesn't look like she could beat anybody. She's about 90lbs and therefore it doesn't look legit and makes a mockery of everyone else in that division. Her record is ridiculous, it's something like 12-2, the closest female to her has about 5 wins. You cannot tell me shes not hanging out of Omega's pants.
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 4th, '20, 10:50

cero2k wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 09:44

Fuck Omega.
Fuck Riho.
I agree that Riho is by far the best choice to be champ, but claims that she moves ratings and sells tickets feel extremely specious.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 4th, '20, 10:51

XIV wrote:
The problem with AEW is that it is a false economy with crowd reactions... because everything they do is already over with that crowd, it isn't really gaining too much new support from the casual viewer.

This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 4th, '20, 17:23

XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 10:45

Look at Orange Cassidy, the bloke literally mocks the wrestling business with his antics, it's not talent, it's just bullshit, but the crowd pops for it... because he's already over with that niche crowd. To the casual wrestling fan (particularly old school wrestling fans) they think he's a joke and rightly so.
You got it completely wrong, when catching 'casual viewers', it's those crowd reactions that matter the MOST. Casual viewers are not going to analyze, hmm, this person is 90lbs, they're going to hear the crowd roaring and wonder why everyone is excited about it and pay attention.

if the 'casual' is an old person, then they're likely already watching WWE with dog food, and if that ain't their thing, then go watch ROH with the other 200 people doing it. This casual thing is the clutch now a days, all promotions are down to hardcores and looking 'legit' is not going to bring in new people
XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 10:45 I have nothing against Riho's talent. She just doesn't look like she could beat anybody. She's about 90lbs and therefore it doesn't look legit and makes a mockery of everyone else in that division. Her record is ridiculous, it's something like 12-2, the closest female to her has about 5 wins. You cannot tell me shes not hanging out of Omega's pants.
Neither did half of the world champions in history, looks are completely irrelevant if the work inside the ring is good and her wrestling plays with her size.
I wouldn't respect a champ with a losing streak, I don't see you arguing that Jericho's streak is too much with him being obviously older and in worse shape than a lot of the title chasers, especially with his shitty ass finisher.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 4th, '20, 17:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 10:50
I agree that Riho is by far the best choice to be champ, but claims that she moves ratings and sells tickets feel extremely specious.
granted i don't know tickets, but her quarters don't fall in the ratings, I think she's actually gained in some of her matches.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Feb 4th, '20, 19:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 3rd, '20, 16:38 It appears that they're testing the waters.

(Get it? Because it's a boat?)
No one else seems to appreciate this, but I laughed.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 4th, '20, 20:25

cero2k wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 17:23

You got it completely wrong, when catching 'casual viewers', it's those crowd reactions that matter the MOST. Casual viewers are not going to analyze, hmm, this person is 90lbs, they're going to hear the crowd roaring and wonder why everyone is excited about it and pay attention.

if the 'casual' is an old person, then they're likely already watching WWE with dog food, and if that ain't their thing, then go watch ROH with the other 200 people doing it. This casual thing is the clutch now a days, all promotions are down to hardcores and looking 'legit' is not going to bring in new people
In this world, then, what hope does AEW have for expansion? If you're saying that trying to bring casuals in is a negative, how to they grow? Surely every hardcore fan in the world knows about AEW by now, so what is their business model? Coast by on TV rights fees like WWE?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 4th, '20, 23:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 20:25
cero2k wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 17:23

In this world, then, what hope does AEW have for expansion? If you're saying that trying to bring casuals in is a negative, how to they grow? Surely every hardcore fan in the world knows about AEW by now, so what is their business model? Coast by on TV rights fees like WWE?
This.
If AEW we’re happy with their niche crowd, they wouldn’t have found a spot on prime time cable television and various prime time spots in countries all over the world. They want expansion, they have the dream of pushing to gain more fans to their product, but for every amazing segment featuring Cody, Dustin, MJF or Jericho, there’s three segments which drag the show down drastically.

And whilst I accept what Cero says about the crowd reactions, I would disagree.

I never bought into someone because of their crowd reactions, not even as a kid. The crowd reactions for Orange Cassidy don’t make me like him. Same for Omega. I agree with so many others about him in AEW, just a bunch of jumps, jogs on the spot, finger pointing, jazz hands and bad facial expressions. The crowd reaction to him doesn’t influence my opinion.

I like MJF because he’s legit the best promo in the business now. The crowd reaction doesn’t tell me that, his work does.

I like Dustin Rhodes, best 50+ year old worker in the business right now. The crowd reaction doesn’t tell me that, his work does.

Sense a pattern?
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 5th, '20, 21:00

nowhere i'm saying it's negative to bring in casuals, but let's stop using it as a clutch for every booking decision we don't like. AEW is trying to bring in the lapsed fans, not the people who already don't care for wrestling. Expansion is not just 'casuals', there is literally a whole planet worth of people to bring in that are not necessarily 'casuals'.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 5th, '20, 21:15

XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 23:25
This.
If AEW we’re happy with their niche crowd, they wouldn’t have found a spot on prime time cable television and various prime time spots in countries all over the world. They want expansion, they have the dream of pushing to gain more fans to their product, but for every amazing segment featuring Cody, Dustin, MJF or Jericho, there’s three segments which drag the show down drastically.

If they didn't have that prime time cable television, they wouldn't have money to have shows for that niche crowd, that's not rocket science. Everyone wants expansion and THAT is why you have people Riho as champions, and Sonny Kiss, and Marko Stunt, and a WIIIIDE variety of characters and ways of life. Do you think people in Japan give a single fuck about MLW or Impact? Hell no, but for those Joshi fans, Riho and Yuka Sakazaki and Shida, THAT is appealing and that is expansion.

Expansion is not narrow as to only focus on 'casuals'.

XIV wrote: Feb 4th, '20, 23:25
And whilst I accept what Cero says about the crowd reactions, I would disagree.

I never bought into someone because of their crowd reactions, not even as a kid. The crowd reactions for Orange Cassidy don’t make me like him. Same for Omega. I agree with so many others about him in AEW, just a bunch of jumps, jogs on the spot, finger pointing, jazz hands and bad facial expressions. The crowd reaction to him doesn’t influence my opinion.

I like MJF because he’s legit the best promo in the business now. The crowd reaction doesn’t tell me that, his work does.

I like Dustin Rhodes, best 50+ year old worker in the business right now. The crowd reaction doesn’t tell me that, his work does.

Sense a pattern?
There is no pattern, you've been watching wrestling for many many years, you recognize the people and the talent, you're not who they're trying to sell OC to, you are the reason why Dustin Rhodes and Jericho are there. You are the reason why AEW would bring in the Revival. But that's just you, there are thousands of people who do like the things you don't. I don't give a fuck about Dustin or people laying on the mat with a hammerlock for 5 minutes, I wanna see Joshis, LAX, Darby Allin. Red wants to see Cody and Brandi. Dozer may want to see Wardlow. The cool thing is that we all have something there for us, something that I can't say about literally any other promotion in the world right now.

That's the thing about the 'stupid' things in AEW, for every single thing, there is someone that likes it, but when we don't like them, that doesn't mean they're bad, or talentless, or bad business decisions of which we know nil about.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 5th, '20, 23:05

cero2k wrote: Feb 5th, '20, 21:00
nowhere i'm saying it's negative to bring in casuals, but let's stop using it as a clutch for every booking decision we don't like. AEW is trying to bring in the lapsed fans, not the people who already don't care for wrestling. Expansion is not just 'casuals', there is literally a whole planet worth of people to bring in that are not necessarily 'casuals'.
The phrase "using it as a crutch" (which I assume is what you mean to say) is, by definition, pejorative.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 6th, '20, 09:29

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 5th, '20, 23:05 The phrase "using it as a crutch" (which I assume is what you mean to say) is, by definition, pejorative.
what i'm trying to say is that fans use the phrase to shit on booking they (the haters) don't like personally, as an argument that 'AEW shouldn't do it because it won't attract new fans'. An argument of dislike has no value if it's personal, it's just an opinion, but when we twist it and turn it into a 'business metric' thing, then it sounds legit.

People using the "not good for casuals" phrase is negative, the promotion attracting new fans is always good.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 6th, '20, 09:41

cero2k wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 09:29
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 5th, '20, 23:05 The phrase "using it as a crutch" (which I assume is what you mean to say) is, by definition, pejorative.
what i'm trying to say is that fans use the phrase to shit on booking they (the haters) don't like personally, as an argument that 'AEW shouldn't do it because it won't attract new fans'. An argument of dislike has no value if it's personal, it's just an opinion, but when we twist it and turn it into a 'business metric' thing, then it sounds legit.

People using the "not good for casuals" phrase is negative, the promotion attracting new fans is always good.
But AEW isn't attracting new fans. Their viewership (including DVRs) is not as high as it was early on.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 6th, '20, 10:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 09:41
But AEW isn't attracting new fans. Their viewership (including DVRs) is not as high as it was early on.
i'm not saying they are, I even said that everything points to their strategy going after lapsed fans. But at the end of the day, we need to stop blaming Orange Cassidy or Riho or Marko Stunt or The Nightmare Collective or The Dark Order or The Lucha Brothers or anything for keeping to 'new' fans away. What keeps new people away is 'Pro Wrestling' and what the US population's idea of what that is based on 30+ years of WWE.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 6th, '20, 11:22

cero2k wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 10:00
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 09:41
i'm not saying they are, I even said that everything points to their strategy going after lapsed fans. But at the end of the day, we need to stop blaming Orange Cassidy or Riho or Marko Stunt or The Nightmare Collective or The Dark Order or The Lucha Brothers or anything for keeping to 'new' fans away. What keeps new people away is 'Pro Wrestling' and what the US population's idea of what that is based on 30+ years of WWE.
I don't think that's true, though. For non-fans the idea of "fake' pro wrestling has almost always been a non-starter, other than a major Attitude Era-like boom period.
Lapsed fans know that pro wrestling can be done differently than WWE. Even if they have never seen it done differently, they'll recognize the concept the moment they turn their TV on.

Your attitude seems to be that the well is completely poisoned at this point and wrestling will never make new fans because no one will give non-WWE wrestling a chance, and I think that's just plain not true.

As for Orange Cassidy... he is a likely culprit. He appeals to a certain, very niche crowd that thinks it's funny to be in on the joke. He's shtick, and the sort of shtick that makes you think the product is a joke (as opposed to Jeruch, who us shtick but takes things seriously).

The issue with the Nightmare Collective is that they are confusing on multiple levels.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 6th, '20, 11:58

Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 11:22
I don't think that's true, though. For non-fans the idea of "fake' pro wrestling has almost always been a non-starter, other than a major Attitude Era-like boom period.
Lapsed fans know that pro wrestling can be done differently than WWE. Even if they have never seen it done differently, they'll recognize the concept the moment they turn their TV on.

Your attitude seems to be that the well is completely poisoned at this point and wrestling will never make new fans because no one will give non-WWE wrestling a chance, and I think that's just plain not true.
You're being a bit drastic with 'never make new fans', but there is definitely a hump to overcome. WWE is what people think about when someone says 'wrestling'. New fans are not likely to have any other reference than WWE, even most of lapsed fans right now are likely WWE-lapsed fans that got tired of their shit, they're not NJPW/Impact/ROH/ECW/WCW/etc-lapsed fans.

Lapsed fans are not likely to see someone like Riho or OC and get turned off unless they're old Jim Cornette cultists, they're going to be intrigued about what this whole thing is about.
Big Red Machine wrote: Feb 6th, '20, 11:22 As for Orange Cassidy... he is a likely culprit. He appeals to a certain, very niche crowd that thinks it's funny to be in on the joke. He's shtick, and the sort of shtick that makes you think the product is a joke (as opposed to Jeruch, who us shtick but takes things seriously).

The issue with the Nightmare Collective is that they are confusing on multiple levels.
this is what i'm talking about. Way I see it, those that don't like him are the niche crowd that can't get over that something they don't like is over as fuck.