AOP’s Akam and Rezar released by WWE

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

AOP’s Akam and Rezar released by WWE

Post by cero2k » Sep 4th, '20, 15:25

src:

AOP, the team of Akam and Rezar, have been released from their WWE contracts.

WWE’s website posted the following message: “WWE has come to terms on the release of Akam and Rezar (AOP). We wish them all the best in their future endeavors.”

The team has not been seen on WWE television since Rezar suffered a bicep injury early this year.

Akam and Rezar were put together as a team on NXT starting in 2016 under the name The Authors of Pain, managed by Paul Ellering. They won the 2016 Dusty Rhodes Tag Team Classic, defeating TM-61 in the finals. They also won the NXT Tag Team titles on January 28, 2017 at TakeOver: San Antonio, defeating DIY.

The Authors of Pain made their debut on Raw on April 9, 2018, defeating Heath Slater and Rhyno. They immediately dropped Ellering as their manager. A number of changes took place in the following months, including shortening their name to AOP and adopting Drave Maverick as their manager. They won the Raw Tag Team titles on November 5, 2018, defeating Seth Rollins in a handicap match after Rollins' tag team partner Dean Ambrose turned on him. They would lose the titles a month later to the team of Chad Gable and Bobby Roode.

In January 2019, Akam underwent knee surgery, keeping the team dormant for most of the year. Upon their return in November, Maverick was dropped as their manager and the team formed an alliance with Seth Rollins. That was dropped when Rezar suffered the bicep injury.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: AOP’s Akam and Rezar released by WWE

Post by cero2k » Sep 4th, '20, 15:25

i have many questions

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '20, 20:19

Maybe they think they're "injury prone?"

I would say that AEW should bring them in because they're so different from everyone else they have, but they might want to not bring in more former WWE guys unless they KNOW they're going to make a difference like Rusev.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 6th, '20, 09:05

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 5th, '20, 20:19 Maybe they think they're "injury prone?"

I would say that AEW should bring them in because they're so different from everyone else they have, but they might want to not bring in more former WWE guys unless they KNOW they're going to make a difference like Rusev.
either that, or maybe the asked for their release. Given that they can't go to NOAH (i'd love to see them in Japan), I think AEW may be the best option, Impact as a second option. 90 days from now, it may be enough cooling off time to bring them in.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 6th, '20, 12:36

cero2k wrote: Sep 6th, '20, 09:05
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 5th, '20, 20:19 Maybe they think they're "injury prone?"

either that, or maybe the asked for their release. Given that they can't go to NOAH (i'd love to see them in Japan), I think AEW may be the best option, Impact as a second option. 90 days from now, it may be enough cooling off time to bring them in.
They'd be a great pick-up for AEW if they can work well with their smaller guys, and even DIY never really worked at the sort of pace that the Bucks and Lucha Bros. seem to prefer, but with the Bucks now under contract to AEW, there really isn't a way to "test" the match on the indies to see how it goes first. Maybe you do it as a dark match at a taping before signing them?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 6th, '20, 12:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 6th, '20, 12:36
They'd be a great pick-up for AEW if they can work well with their smaller guys, and even DIY never really worked at the sort of pace that the Bucks and Lucha Bros. seem to prefer, but with the Bucks now under contract to AEW, there really isn't a way to "test" the match on the indies to see how it goes first. Maybe you do it as a dark match at a taping before signing them?
Maybe they can try to move around some influences and get AOP vs The Rascalz or [insert genetic spotmonkey indie team] in a GCW show or something

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 6th, '20, 13:29

cero2k wrote: Sep 6th, '20, 12:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 6th, '20, 12:36
Maybe they can try to move around some influences and get AOP vs The Rascalz or [insert genetic spotmonkey indie team] in a GCW show or something
That's probably the best way to do it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 16th, '20, 02:16

I just heard Jason Powell suggest that this might be a work, with the hint being that unlike in all other release notifications, they didn't use their shoot names.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation