Mike Rotunda, Sarah Stock released by WWE

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Mike Rotunda, Sarah Stock released by WWE

Post by cero2k » Sep 10th, '20, 20:24

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/mike ... um=twitter

Following Gerald's Brisco's admission Thursday that his services were no longer needed by WWE, Mike Rotunda and Sarah Stock have also been released.

The news was first reported by PWInsider and confirmed by our Dave Meltzer.

The moves come as WWE began releasing those who were initially furloughed as part of the April pandemic-related financial cuts.

The 62-year-old Rotunda retired in 2004 and was hired in 2006 as a road agent, reviving his Irwin R. Schyster character for various editions of Raw through the years. Part of a true pro wrestling family, he married the daughter of Blackjack Mulligan (father to Barry and Kendall Windham) and their two sons (Bray Wyatt and Bo Dallas) who have both been with WWE for years.

The 41-year-old Stock was with the company for five years after being hired in 2015 as a producer and trainer at the Performance Center. Known as both Sarita and Dark Angel through her career, she has worked for Impact Wrestling, AAA, CMLL, and for both Stardom and Shimmer.

Big Red Machine

Re: Mike Rotunda, Sarah Stock released by WWE

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 10th, '20, 22:23

I'm shocked IRS lasted this long. You don't hear too much about road agents, but when you hear something positive, the ones you usually heard it about recently were Arn, Jamie Noble. Steamboat, and maybe Road Dogg.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

XIV

Post by XIV » Sep 10th, '20, 23:48

I think WWE previously had the money to put in loads of road agents, probably having 20+ at one point. Is that wholly necessary? Probably not. Could you get away with quality over quantity...? Probably.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 11th, '20, 07:28

XIV wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 23:48 I think WWE previously had the money to put in loads of road agents, probably having 20+ at one point. Is that wholly necessary? Probably not. Could you get away with quality over quantity...? Probably.
they previously had the money for 20+, now they have the money for 40+

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 11th, '20, 08:17

cero2k wrote: Sep 11th, '20, 07:28
XIV wrote: Sep 10th, '20, 23:48 I think WWE previously had the money to put in loads of road agents, probably having 20+ at one point. Is that wholly necessary? Probably not. Could you get away with quality over quantity...? Probably.
they previously had the money for 20+, now they have the money for 40+
The reality is that MAYBE 5 are necessary.

Actually, if I remember Gabe correctly from his first Guest Booker appearance, 90% of the job is pointless. Having someone around who can help with finishing sequences a la the way Johnny Ace or Pat Patterson have been described is helpful, but otherwise, talent really should be able to do this on their own, and as Gabe said, there is no reason to have a middleman reporting to the booker's instructions to the talent when the booker(s) can just do it themselves.

I think the position is part of WWE whole bloated philosophy and takes agency away from the wrestlers. They're the in-ring version of having 90 writers on staff. Maybe it's good to have three or four people who can sit around and work with people who aren't that good at promos or prefer having a script handed to them, but it's best for wrestlers to do them on their own using bullet points from the booker. Same with matches. The booker tells you who is going over and how, and any other important details, but the rest of should be up to the workers.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 11th, '20, 11:52

Related

WWE Reportedly Made More Than 60 Releases This Week
src: https://www.wrestlinginc.com/news/2020/ ... um=twitter

WWE reportedly released several dozen employees on Thursday.

As we've noted, WWE fully parted ways with several office employees this week, most of who were furloughed back in April and had been waiting for word on when they could come back to work. PWInsider reports that one source believes there were more than 60 staffers let go on Thursday.

Most of these cuts were already furloughed or working in departments that aren't very active due to the coronavirus pandemic. It was noted that the travel and live events departments were hit the hardest this week, which is due to the lack of work needed from those departments because of how the WWE schedule was impacted by COVID-19.

Confirmed releases as of this writing include staff writer Anthony Benigno, producer Sarah Stock, producer "IRS" Mike Rotunda, and WWE Hall of Famer Gerald Brisco, who had worked in scouting new talent.

It's also been reported that WWE is not releasing any wrestlers this week.

Stay tuned for more on the WWE departures.

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 11th, '20, 12:39

They have...Reigns, Rollin, Rey Mysterio, and Randy Orton essentially as legitimate made main eventers at this point. Jeff Hardy, Sheamus, and AJ Styles as well, but not many of them has done main event stuff in a while.

At this rate they're gonna be out of stars before too long.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Sep 12th, '20, 09:25

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 11th, '20, 08:17The reality is that MAYBE 5 are necessary.

Actually, if I remember Gabe correctly from his first Guest Booker appearance, 90% of the job is pointless. Having someone around who can help with finishing sequences a la the way Johnny Ace or Pat Patterson have been described is helpful, but otherwise, talent really should be able to do this on their own, and as Gabe said, there is no reason to have a middleman reporting to the booker's instructions to the talent when the booker(s) can just do it themselves.

I think the position is part of WWE whole bloated philosophy and takes agency away from the wrestlers. They're the in-ring version of having 90 writers on staff. Maybe it's good to have three or four people who can sit around and work with people who aren't that good at promos or prefer having a script handed to them, but it's best for wrestlers to do them on their own using bullet points from the booker. Same with matches. The booker tells you who is going over and how, and any other important details, but the rest of should be up to the workers.
I think a road agent does a bit more than just plan matches with the wrestlers he's agenting (although what I'll say falls into that category I suppose). A road agent is (or should be in this day and age) there to refrain wrestlers from using a big spot/move if it's going to be in a bigger match later on the card. Like if the main event is going to have a big table spot, the agent will (or again, should) make sure that there won't be any other table spot on the show. Same thing with repeating moves/sequences too often on a show (or as the OSW boys would say : dammit D'Lo!).

I will agree that they don't need dozens of them though, especially right now with so few shows. WWE isn't an NPO, they don't have to keep excess workers when they don't need to. They'll keep hiring wrestlers like candy though, but the same can be said about AEW at this point.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 13th, '20, 15:01

Thelone wrote: Sep 12th, '20, 09:25
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 11th, '20, 08:17The reality is that MAYBE 5 are necessary.

I think a road agent does a bit more than just plan matches with the wrestlers he's agenting (although what I'll say falls into that category I suppose). A road agent is (or should be in this day and age) there to refrain wrestlers from using a big spot/move if it's going to be in a bigger match later on the card. Like if the main event is going to have a big table spot, the agent will (or again, should) make sure that there won't be any other table spot on the show. Same thing with repeating moves/sequences too often on a show (or as the OSW boys would say : dammit D'Lo!).
I understand that, but I think that's something the booker can do easily enough when he/she gives the wrestlers their instructions for the finish and other necessary storyline things for their match.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 14th, '20, 09:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 15:01
I understand that, but I think that's something the booker can do easily enough when he/she gives the wrestlers their instructions for the finish and other necessary storyline things for their match.
With a 'booker' made out of a 25-person creative team and a boss that changes scripts minutes before the opening bell, I think that's why they keep the road agents, to ease that communication from creative/boss to wrestlers. We know Vince nor the writers are gonna be chasing around wrestlers to tell them to not use a canadian destroyer of the top rope in this match because Nia Jax wants to use it on the semi-main

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 14th, '20, 10:36

cero2k wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 09:30
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 13th, '20, 15:01
With a 'booker' made out of a 25-person creative team and a boss that changes scripts minutes before the opening bell, I think that's why they keep the road agents, to ease that communication from creative/boss to wrestlers. We know Vince nor the writers are gonna be chasing around wrestlers to tell them to not use a canadian destroyer of the top rope in this match because Nia Jax wants to use it on the semi-main
Gabe's argument against it is that it just adds a middleman who doesn't need to be there. The issue of the volatile boss changing his mind all day will exist for the agents just as much as it does for the writers.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 14th, '20, 11:27

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 10:36

Gabe's argument against it is that it just adds a middleman who doesn't need to be there. The issue of the volatile boss changing his mind all day will exist for the agents just as much as it does for the writers.
Gabe is not wrong, but Gabe hasn't booked a promotion the size of WWE with multiple shows with a roster of what 60+ people? A final script and more organized creative team should be sufficient, but I do see the potential of road agents to keep things like consistency kept, avoid repetition, and to properly micromanage the progress of wrestlers and stories. Like, I can't imagine that creative are that closely following fan reaction to stuff, but a road agent could.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 14th, '20, 12:06

cero2k wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 11:27

Gabe is not wrong, but Gabe hasn't booked a promotion the size of WWE with multiple shows with a roster of what 60+ people? A final script and more organized creative team should be sufficient, but I do see the potential of road agents to keep things like consistency kept, avoid repetition, and to properly micromanage the progress of wrestlers and stories. Like, I can't imagine that creative are that closely following fan reaction to stuff, but a road agent could.
The things you are describing here (other than perhaps monitoring the wrestlers' in-ring progress) all seem like they are part of creative's job. How are they going to book the show and know what's working and what isn't if they don't pay attention to the reaction. Hell... it shouldn't even be that much of an ask for them because they should be watching the f*cking show ever week. An offensive coordinator doesn't call a play, then turn around and play on his phone while the play is happening. He watches to see what happens!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Sep 14th, '20, 13:38

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 12:06 The things you are describing here (other than perhaps monitoring the wrestlers' in-ring progress) all seem like they are part of creative's job. How are they going to book the show and know what's working and what isn't if they don't pay attention to the reaction. Hell... it shouldn't even be that much of an ask for them because they should be watching the f*cking show ever week. An offensive coordinator doesn't call a play, then turn around and play on his phone while the play is happening. He watches to see what happens!
I'm gonna pull a "they ain't wrestlers", the creative are tv writers and comedians and the such, I honestly don't trust they see what a former-wrestler-turned-road-agent sees.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 14th, '20, 14:05

cero2k wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 13:38
Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 12:06 The things you are describing here (other than perhaps monitoring the wrestlers' in-ring progress) all seem like they are part of creative's job. How are they going to book the show and know what's working and what isn't if they don't pay attention to the reaction. Hell... it shouldn't even be that much of an ask for them because they should be watching the f*cking show ever week. An offensive coordinator doesn't call a play, then turn around and play on his phone while the play is happening. He watches to see what happens!
I'm gonna pull a "they ain't wrestlers", the creative are tv writers and comedians and the such, I honestly don't trust they see what a former-wrestler-turned-road-agent sees.
But there are also people on those teams who are former wrestlers (Pearce, Devon, Prichard, Sonjay, Abyss, Corino, Jamie Noble)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Sep 15th, '20, 08:57

Big Red Machine wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 12:06
cero2k wrote: Sep 14th, '20, 11:27

The things you are describing here (other than perhaps monitoring the wrestlers' in-ring progress) all seem like they are part of creative's job. How are they going to book the show and know what's working and what isn't if they don't pay attention to the reaction. Hell... it shouldn't even be that much of an ask for them because they should be watching the f*cking show ever week. An offensive coordinator doesn't call a play, then turn around and play on his phone while the play is happening. He watches to see what happens!
But I know you don't think WWE does this actually lol...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.