WWE to begin takeover of talent's Twitch accounts over next month

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

WWE to begin takeover of talent's Twitch accounts over next month

Post by cero2k » Oct 1st, '20, 21:12

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/wwe-news/wwe- ... nth-321546

In conjunction with WWE's decision to get more control over how their talent uses third party social media platforms that can also generate them personal revenue, the company will be taking over control over their talent's Twitch accounts over the next four weeks.

The story was first reported by Wrestling Inc. and confirmed by Dave Meltzer.

While WWE will have control over those accounts, those individuals will get a percentage of the revenue generated which will count against their downside guarantee.

In early-September, it was learned that Vince McMahon held a late-August meeting with talent in which he discussed a reinvention of the product and that Senior Director of Talent Relations Mark Carrano said the company owns their real names of talent in addition to character names. That was followed by a letter instructing talents that they had 30 days to stop engaging with third parties where they had deals or else face fines, suspensions, and even termination.

As reported, it was unclear to talent what third parties it was specifically referring to, considering many wrestlers have their own Twitch, YouTube, and Cameo accounts. Meltzer reported on this confusion and the WWE statement defending their actions that was released the day after the news broke.

As of now, there is still some confusion whether WWE owns the rights to those real names and some wrestlers have already started changing their social media handles until it's made more clear.

Wrestling Inc. also reported Thursday that McMahon sent a reminder email to talent that they have until Friday to discontinue those "unauthorized business relationships" with third parties.

The wild card is that this situation got the attention of former U.S. Presidential candidate and wrestling fan Andrew Yang who said that if Joe Biden is elected president, he will push to discuss the "ridiculous classification of WWE wrestlers as independent contractors while controlling their names and likeness for years, even for something as benign as Cameo."

Thursday night, Yang tweeted, "This would be infuriating to me if I had spent time building up my social media channels only to have WWE take them over from their ‘independent contractors.’ People are angry and rightfully so."

KILLdozer

Re: WWE to begin takeover of talent's Twitch accounts over next month

Post by KILLdozer » Oct 3rd, '20, 09:08

Still waiting for that "reinvention of the product"...🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔

Because I see nothing different but no fans...well...

Heel Roman Reigns is kinda different I guess...
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Serujuunin

Re: WWE to begin takeover of talent's Twitch accounts over next month

Post by Serujuunin » Oct 3rd, '20, 12:39

Jesus fu*k, how the hell does he expect that they’re just going to take this lying down? He’s trying to claim the perks of having “independent contractors”, while at the same time being a complete tyrannical dictator.