Davey Boy Smith Jr. done with MLW, becomes free agent

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Davey Boy Smith Jr. done with MLW, becomes free agent

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 3rd, '20, 17:15

https://www.f4wonline.com/mlw-news/dave ... ent-326626

By Josh Nason | @joshnason | Dec 3, 2020 8:09 am

MLW founder Court Bauer announced Thursday that Davey Boy Smith Jr. is no longer with the promotion.

Bauer said, "Davey Boy’s exit in the opening round of the Opera Cup marks the end of this chapter for DBS in MLW. I have immense gratitude for (Davey) and his contributions inside the MLW ring over the past 2 ½ years. The MLW system was a great fit for him. Winning the 2019 Opera Cup as well as his run as a World Tag Team Champion. A certified beast. Davey Boy Smith Jr. is the real deal and I wish him luck with whatever comes next."

Smith Jr. lost to Low Ki on Wednesday's Fusion, his second loss since their recent restart following a defeat to MLW World Champion Jacob Fatu. His contract was due to run out at the end of the year.

His tenure with MLW and Bauer goes back to 2004 when he and T.J. Wilson won the GTC Carnival tag tournament over two Florida house shows. When the company returned in 2018, he eventually returned as well, forming the new Hart Foundation with Teddy Hart and Brian Pillman Jr. He and Hart held the tag team titles once and he also won the 2019 Opera Cup.

Tensions between the two sides rose this summer with MLW Head of Wrestling Operations/color commentator Jared St. Laurent releasing a statement on their website in August essentially saying he was done after Smith asked for his early release.

"I had talks with Impact about Davey Boy possibly crossing over and doing some dates. We had a very positive conversation with Impact. Scott D’Amore and Impact were great to deal with and we were absolutely open to it. We gave Davey several options for how we could make this work as well as help him out financially during the pandemic. Davey opted to do nothing, unfortunately. It could’ve been a win/win for all 3 parties. It’s a shame but that is the full story. On a personal level, I’ve known Davey for almost 2 decades. It’s sad to see him elect to end his tenure with yet another company on such a sour note.”

Bauer said that "a familiar face" will be arriving soon to take Smith Jr.'s spot and is surprised it hasn't got out there yet, adding it's "a big surprise."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Davey Boy Smith Jr. done with MLW, becomes free agent

Post by cero2k » Dec 3rd, '20, 17:38

i'm 99% sure he's going to wwe this time