Sting interested in doing 'cinema-style' matches in AEW

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Sting interested in doing 'cinema-style' matches in AEW

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 24th, '20, 18:11

https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/stin ... aew-328536

By Ethan Renner | @EthanRenner | Dec 24, 2020 12:44 pm

Appearing on the AEW Unrestricted podcast, Sting said he is interested in the idea of doing "cinema-style matches," and that when he spoke with AEW President Tony Khan prior to signing with the company, the subject of cinematic matches came up.

"When Tony called and spoke with me and he asked 'Are you interested in doing cinema-style matches?' I said 'Yeah, I am. I am,'" he said.

Sting also revealed that he had pushed for a cinematic match with The Undertaker in WWE, but it never came to fruition.

"I didn't want it to end the way it ended. I was pushing to get a cinema-style match with The Undertaker. And for probably a litany of different reasons, it just wasn't going to happen," said Sting.

Those are just two of the items that were discussed during a wide-ranging interview with hosts Tony Schiavone and Aubrey Edwards that covered Sting's entire career.

Sting also discussed how he came to know Tony Khan originally.

"I got a call from Tony Khan five years ago, or maybe even more. I didn't know who he was. Then he mentioned the Jacksonville Jaguars... So I did my research and found out that there is a Tony Khan and a Shad Khan," he said.

"I ended up calling him back, he wanted me to sign a baseball bat and he wanted to present it to the team at the time. So I met Tony long before AEW, long before that even happened," said Sting.

"Then my second-oldest son actually tried out with the Jaguars. He tried out with four different teams, the Jaguars being one of them. So there's some history there with Tony."

Sting also talked about how he came to sign with AEW.

"He called me again, oh, maybe a year ago or so. Actually, he didn't call me, he just sent a text. And I'm still with WWE [at the time], so I've got to be careful how I handle all this kind of stuff, so I just kept it superficial, and that was that," Sting said.

"I'd say two months ago or so, somewhere around then, I reached out and I said 'Hey, are you still willing to talk?' and he said 'Yeah," so here we are," he said.

When asked a question about what he would like to get out of his time in AEW, and also what he would like to give, Sting had a twofold answer.

"I'd love to be able to go out, I don't have to go out on top, I'm just saying go out in a positive light," Sting said.

"I would like to mentor some of these guys and be any kind of help I possibly can. Even thought it's changed, I still get it and I'd like to be a part of helping some of these guys get better.

Sting also spoke briefly about his negotiations with Vince McMahon in the years between WCW folding and his ultimate arrival in WWE in 2014.

"You know, after it [WCW] ended, we never did talk. There was no discussion, at least immediately after [WCW closed]," said Sting.

"It was maybe a year after that Vince reached out and we had a conversation. Talking with Vince was always good," he said.

"But then you'd get his group of attorneys and my attorney and then it all kind of falls apart."

Sting also had positive things to say about his time spent in WWE.

"You know, I thought, 'I've done just about everything there is to do here,' and I had fun. They treated me good," Sting said.

The AEW Unrestricted podcast is available on all major podcast platforms. Video versions of past episodes can be found on the TNT website, although video of the Sting episode is not yet available.

*Editor's note: this transcript has been edited for clarity.*
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3