AEW to hold Brodie Lee tribute show on Dynamite, four matches set

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

AEW to hold Brodie Lee tribute show on Dynamite, four matches set

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '20, 17:23

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew- ... set-328756

AEW will be holding a tribute show for Brodie Lee this Wednesday on Dynamite.

Tony Khan announced this afternoon that Wednesday’s show will be dedicated to Brodie Lee, who passed away on Saturday. Lee's wife Amanda on Instragram wrote that he had died due to a non-COVID related lung issue.

“This Wednesday on #AEWDynamite, we’ll celebrate the life of Jon Huber (Mr. Brodie Lee) with a show including tributes and a special card of matches dedicated to The Exalted One,” Khan wrote on Twitter. “This night is intended to honor Jon, but also this is for Amanda, and their sons Brodie (-1) & Nolan.”

Khan announced the following matches for Wednesday:

Lee's son Brodie's favorites teaming for one night only: Cody Rhodes, Orange Cassidy & Preston "10" Vance vs. Team Taz (Brian Cage, Ricky Starks & Powerhouse Hobbs)

Hangman Adam Page, Jon Silver & Alex Reynolds vs. MJF, Santana & Ortiz

Anna Jay & Tay Conti vs. Dr. Britt Baker & Penelope Ford

Lance Archer, Evil Uno & Stu Grayson vs. Eddie Kingston, Butcher & Blade

AEW New Year Smash, which was slated to start on Wednesday, will instead be moved to next week, January 6, with the second night taking place on January 13.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: AEW to hold Brodie Lee tribute show on Dynamite, four matches set

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '20, 17:23

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 28th, '20, 18:39

I don't like this at all. If you want to do a tribute package at the beginning of the show then that's fine, but this just butchers kayfabe for no reason. Everything from "let's all honor this man who has been presented as an abuser and a bully the entire time he was on our TV show" to 10 suddenly being a former student of Cody's who "turned his back on the Nightmare Factory to join the Dark Order" when the dude's on-air origin was that he was a college football player who's career ended when he blew his knee out and then his girlfriend dumped him, making him angry and depressed and thus the Dark Order was able to recruit him.

If you want to do this and put it on YouTube or something then that's fine, but have some respect for your product. You're not showing Brodie Lee/Jon Huber any more respect by sh*tting on kayfabe in his name.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '20, 20:38

Kayfabe is pretty irrelevant when it comes to these things, it's just skipping a week in stories for that matter. the last thing people will want is to come in to this first show after Lee's death and have to deal with kayfabe drama. For anyone that don't want to break kayfabe, they're telling you that you can skip a week that is already a holiday week.

All that said, I can see this show breaking their ratings record, I think A LOT of people are gonna tune in

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 28th, '20, 22:27

cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 Kayfabe is pretty irrelevant when it comes to these things, it's just skipping a week in stories for that matter.
Find me one other show that skips a week in all of their stories to show you the usual characters doing things in what is essentially an alternate universe.
When John Spencer died, The West Wing didn't reshoot a bunch of fluff. They aired a video saying "we're really sad that our friend and coworker is dead. We hope you enjoy seeing him perform his art one last time."

If they wanted to "skip a week of stories," they should do essentially what WWE had done for Benoit where you air a Best of Brodie Lee plus people talking about him out of kayfabe.
cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 the last thing people will want is to come in to this first show after Lee's death and have to deal with kayfabe drama.
Are you sure? Because I'd think that wrestling fans would be looking to use wrestling for what humans have always used entertainment for: to be an escape. We've been sad about Brodie dying for a few days now, and it's already hard enough. I don't want to turn on my wrestling and have it make me even sadder. I want to it suck me in and help me forget for two hours.

cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 All that said, I can see this show breaking their ratings record, I think A LOT of people are gonna tune in
Which won't matter at all because it's an unearned, one-week pop in the ratings, and they won't be giving people any sort of a hook to get them to come back next week.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

KILLdozer

Post by KILLdozer » Dec 28th, '20, 22:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27
cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 Kayfabe is pretty irrelevant when it comes to these things, it's just skipping a week in stories for that matter.
Find me one other show that skips a week in all of their stories to show you the usual characters doing things in what is essentially an alternate universe.
When John Spencer died, The West Wing didn't reshoot a bunch of fluff. They aired a video saying "we're really sad that our friend and coworker is dead. We hope you enjoy seeing him perform his art one last time."

If they wanted to "skip a week of stories," they should do essentially what WWE had done for Benoit where you air a Best of Brodie Lee plus people talking about him out of kayfabe.
cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 the last thing people will want is to come in to this first show after Lee's death and have to deal with kayfabe drama.
Are you sure? Because I'd think that wrestling fans would be looking to use wrestling for what humans have always used entertainment for: to be an escape. We've been sad about Brodie dying for a few days now, and it's already hard enough. I don't want to turn on my wrestling and have it make me even sadder. I want to it suck me in and help me forget for two hours.

cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 20:38 All that said, I can see this show breaking their ratings record, I think A LOT of people are gonna tune in
Which won't matter at all because it's an unearned, one-week pop in the ratings, and they won't be giving people any sort of a hook to get them to come back next week.

Hmm.

And here I was earlier gonna tell this guy to Gtfoh because he had a problem with a tribute show, but I now see the got danged point you were going for.
When they come, they'll come at what you love.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 28th, '20, 22:54

KILLdozer wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:48
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27

Hmm.

And here I was earlier gonna tell this guy to Gtfoh because he had a problem with a tribute show, but I now see the got danged point you were going for.
Never doubt me.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 28th, '20, 23:37

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Find me one other show that skips a week in all of their stories to show you the usual characters doing things in what is essentially an alternate universe.

AEW is not an episodic sitcom recorded in a studio, it's a 'live' show with real performers, many of which are playing themselves. If West Wing wanted to have a show with all the actors talking about Spencer, they would have done it and no one could have had a complain about it. At the end, it's not a matter of 'what shows should do', but a matter what is best for his friends, and this is what they wanted, I can assure you no one is being forced to work this show.

They're doing what WWE did with Eddie Guerrero's tribute shows, they're doing RAW IS OWEN. This is the best way to celebrate someone's life in wrestling. Let his friends and family celebrate him doing what they do, in no world is kayfabe so sacred that it's more important than letting people grieve for their friend the way they want.

For those that need their kayfabe that specific day, there's nxt.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Are you sure? Because I'd think that wrestling fans would be looking to use wrestling for what humans have always used entertainment for: to be an escape. We've been sad about Brodie dying for a few days now, and it's already hard enough. I don't want to turn on my wrestling and have it make me even sadder. I want to it suck me in and help me forget for two hours.
There are many valid ways to grieving, to each their own. Watching angry people with serious drama is not for everyone, some people want to enjoy happy moments with the people who were closest to him.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Which won't matter at all because it's an unearned, one-week pop in the ratings, and they won't be giving people any sort of a hook to get them to come back next week.
It won't matter and shouldn't matter, and sure as hell there shouldn't be a hook for people. Ratings are irrelevant this week, whether high or low. Kayfabe is irrelevant. Fake sports are irrelevant.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '20, 00:26

cero2k wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 23:37
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Find me one other show that skips a week in all of their stories to show you the usual characters doing things in what is essentially an alternate universe.

AEW is not an episodic sitcom recorded in a studio, it's a 'live' show with real performers, many of which are playing themselves. If West Wing wanted to have a show with all the actors talking about Spencer, they would have done it and no one could have had a complain about it. At the end, it's not a matter of 'what shows should do', but a matter what is best for his friends, and this is what they wanted, I can assure you no one is being forced to work this show. [

They're doing what WWE did with Eddie Guerrero's tribute shows, they're doing RAW IS OWEN. This is the best way to celebrate someone's life in wrestling. Let his friends and family celebrate him doing what they do, in no world is kayfabe so sacred that it's more important than letting people grieve for their friend the way they want./quote]

AEW is not a sitcom (neither was The West Wing, by the way), but it is still episodic, and episodic shows don't stick the same characters in an alternate universe for a week.

What's best for his family and friends is very important, but it's also very important what is best for the company (you know... the thing that keeps his family and friends fed, clothed and housed).
What you are missing here is the concept of opportunity cost. If it were a choice between "doing this nice tribute show to make everyone feel better" on one hand and "mean boss Tony Khan forces wrestlers to work a show they don't want to because they're sad their friend died" on the other, then maybe I could agree with you, but that's not the case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from taping this tribute show for YouTube, and shooting the planned regular version Dynamite as well.

Also, during Raw is Owen or the Eddie show, I don't think they had people team up with either enemies just because. They did still keep some semblance of kayfabe for the in-ring stuff.

For those that need their kayfabe that specific day, there's nxt.
You're pretending that AEW isn't doing kayfabe here, but they are. Look at Tony Khan's tweet. 10 "turned his back on the Nightmare Factory to join the Dark Order." Really? He's trying to justify the matches.
If it's not about kayfabe, why is the Dark Order teaming together in every match? Why are they even on the show? Almost every member of the group joined BEFORE Brodie Lee ever showed up. Where are his real friends like Cheech & Cloudy? It's not like Dark Order was Brodie's idea or something, either. It's all still kayfabe.

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Are you sure? Because I'd think that wrestling fans would be looking to use wrestling for what humans have always used entertainment for: to be an escape. We've been sad about Brodie dying for a few days now, and it's already hard enough. I don't want to turn on my wrestling and have it make me even sadder. I want to it suck me in and help me forget for two hours.
There are many valid ways to grieving, to each their own. Watching angry people with serious drama is not for everyone, some people want to enjoy happy moments with the people who were closest to him.
And what's happy about people fake beating each other up? They're not going to do a night of comedy matches. They're going to try to suck you into each of the matches via drama.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 28th, '20, 22:27 Which won't matter at all because it's an unearned, one-week pop in the ratings, and they won't be giving people any sort of a hook to get them to come back next week.
It won't matter and shouldn't matter, and sure as hell there shouldn't be a hook for people. Ratings are irrelevant this week, whether high or low. Kayfabe is irrelevant. Fake sports are irrelevant.
You're absolutely right. Which is why I'm saying it'd be wrong to read anything into it.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 29th, '20, 13:30

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 AEW is not a sitcom (neither was The West Wing, by the way), but it is still episodic, and episodic shows don't stick the same characters in an alternate universe for a week.

What's best for his family and friends is very important, but it's also very important what is best for the company (you know... the thing that keeps his family and friends fed, clothed and housed).
What you are missing here is the concept of opportunity cost. If it were a choice between "doing this nice tribute show to make everyone feel better" on one hand and "mean boss Tony Khan forces wrestlers to work a show they don't want to because they're sad their friend died" on the other, then maybe I could agree with you, but that's not the case. There is absolutely nothing stopping them from taping this tribute show for YouTube, and shooting the planned regular version Dynamite as well.

Also, during Raw is Owen or the Eddie show, I don't think they had people team up with either enemies just because. They did still keep some semblance of kayfabe for the in-ring stuff.
Kayfabe is not important, it's not the 80's. EVERYONE, especially the AEW fans that as I've been told on reddit and twitter, are a bunch of smarks, they know that wrestling is fake, they know that these are all real people playing characters and doing pretend fighting. I can understand the thought of wanting to escape into fantasy, but no one would stop watching AEW because they skipped kayfabe one week. AEW is not going to lose money or business for doing a tribute show with a bunch of matches.

WWE didn't make odd pairings for the tribute shows, but they sure as hell had a lot of kayfabe breaking stuff.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 You're pretending that AEW isn't doing kayfabe here, but they are. Look at Tony Khan's tweet. 10 "turned his back on the Nightmare Factory to join the Dark Order." Really? He's trying to justify the matches.
If it's not about kayfabe, why is the Dark Order teaming together in every match? Why are they even on the show? Almost every member of the group joined BEFORE Brodie Lee ever showed up. Where are his real friends like Cheech & Cloudy? It's not like Dark Order was Brodie's idea or something, either. It's all still kayfabe.
You're asking why is Brodie Lee's stable in the Brodie Lee tribute show? What!? I don't compute what your problem with this is at all. If you want literal words, this episode is not canon in made up stories that we all know are made up stories, they're still all playing their made up characters for this non-canon episode. Since it's not canon, you don't have to watch it if you're only interested in stories.

Why would Up in Smoke be there? they don't work for AEW.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 And what's happy about people fake beating each other up? They're not going to do a night of comedy matches. They're going to try to suck you into each of the matches via drama.
Good guys winning over bad guys, sport exhibitions between friends, these guys being able to dedicate their performances to Lee. There's more to wrestling than stories and 'beating each other up'

I really wonder if you're the only person in the world that has an issue with this show taking place and letting these people pay tribute to Lee their own way.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 29th, '20, 17:11

cero2k wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 13:30
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 AEW is not a sitcom (neither was The West Wing, by the way), but it is still episodic, and episodic shows don't stick the same characters in an alternate universe for a week.

Kayfabe is not important, it's not the 80's. EVERYONE, especially the AEW fans that as I've been told on reddit and twitter, are a bunch of smarks, they know that wrestling is fake, they know that these are all real people playing characters and doing pretend fighting. I can understand the thought of wanting to escape into fantasy, but no one would stop watching AEW because they skipped kayfabe one week. AEW is not going to lose money or business for doing a tribute show with a bunch of matches.
It's not about the people who are already invested (although if you start to ignore kayfabe or retcon it too much, you can drive them off). It's about the people who want to give the product a try and are completely confused when they tune in.

cero2k wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 13:30 WWE didn't make odd pairings for the tribute shows, but they sure as hell had a lot of kayfabe breaking stuff.
1. There was no YouTube back in 1999 to air those little videos on.
2. I wouldn't even object to doing those as bumpers. What I object to is the breaking of kayfabe when there is no reason to do so. As I've said, you could do this show on YouTube and then do the previously-planned Dyanmite and I'd have no problem with it.
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 You're pretending that AEW isn't doing kayfabe here, but they are. Look at Tony Khan's tweet. 10 "turned his back on the Nightmare Factory to join the Dark Order." Really? He's trying to justify the matches.
You're asking why is Brodie Lee's stable in the Brodie Lee tribute show? What!? I don't compute what your problem with this is at all. If you want literal words, this episode is not canon in made up stories that we all know are made up stories, they're still all playing their made up characters for this non-canon episode. Since it's not canon, you don't have to watch it if you're only interested in stories.
See below in red
cero2k wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 13:30 Why would Up in Smoke be there? they don't work for AEW.
I could have sworn they were good buddies of his. Colin Delaney, too, all being upstate New York guys. Wikipedia says that Delaney and Brodie used to backyard together before getting trained.
If the point is to do this so his friends can pay tribute to him, why not have them on the show? And if you have to wait two weeks for them to quarantine, then wait the two weeks. Or have them tape a match on their own and send it in. If it's a tribute to Jon Huber, you should do what you can to get his friends on it, even if they don't work for the company.

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 29th, '20, 00:26 And what's happy about people fake beating each other up? They're not going to do a night of comedy matches. They're going to try to suck you into each of the matches via drama.
Good guys winning over bad guys, sport exhibitions between friends, these guys being able to dedicate their performances to Lee. There's more to wrestling than stories and 'beating each other up'

My point is that your comments here and your comments above are not compatible with each other. How are there "good guys" to beat the "bad guys" if you're removing everything from the continuity?
And aren't the Dark Order bad guys? Are you really going to beat Brodie's stable like a drum on something you're calling a "tribute show" to him?

If they want to dedicate their performances to their fallen friend, that can easily be done without breaking kayfabe. I'd argue that the "in memory of" graphic at the beginning of the show does that on behalf of all of the performers, Creative, administrative, and production staff, and guys can wear armbands and use catchphrases and whatnot, and put viodes on social media.
I really wonder if you're the only person in the world that has an issue with this show taking place and letting these people pay tribute to Lee their own way.
It's entirely possible (or at least I'm the only one willing to voice the opinion)... and I'm totally fine with that. AEW has the means to do both a tribute show that they can easily distribute for free AND do Dynamite. They're in a situation where they could easily both have their cake and eat it, but they're choosing to only do one.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation