Impact reveals new commentary team, Josh Mathews promoted

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Impact reveals new commentary team, Josh Mathews promoted

Post by cero2k » Jan 13th, '21, 10:30

IMPACT REVEALS NEW COMMENTARY TEAM, JOSH MATHEWS PROMOTED
SRC:https://www.f4wonline.com/tna-news/impa ... ted-330051

A new Impact Wrestling commentary team will debut at this weekend's Hard to Kill pay-per-view.

Starting at Hard to Kill this Saturday, Matt Striker will be Impact's new play-by-play announcer and D'Lo Brown will be on color commentary. Striker and Brown will also call episodes of Impact weekly going forward.

Josh Mathews and Madison Rayne had been Impact's commentary team. Impact Wrestling announced that Mathews has been promoted to senior producer for their programming. Mathews has also signed a new multi-year contract with Impact Wrestling.

Rayne will discuss her wrestling future at Hard to Kill. It was reported last month that Rayne is leaving Impact Wrestling for a career outside of wrestling.

“My play-by-play career has spanned nearly 20 years -- from WrestleMania to Bound For Glory to incredible moments from IMPACT Wrestling on AXS TV,” Mathews said in a press release. “Producing will allow me to have a bigger role in the overall production of our weekly show, PPVs and IMPACT+ Specials.

“This transition has been a great process, Matt and D’Lo are bringing a fresh energy and are ready to go. It was a special year in 2020, and both Madison Rayne and I will always be grateful for the opportunity and look forward to these exciting changes.”

“I’ve always loved professional wrestling. It is a love that unites so many people,” Striker said. “Pro wrestling is a sport and I want to be mindful to call it as such. I’ve learned and grown so much since I began, and I thank the fans -- and the critics -- for that. It is not lost on me the opportunity that is before me -- I can once again lend my voice to the sport that I love. In doing so, I’m poised to describe, analyze, and witness the most advanced athletes the sport has ever seen. I am excited, nervous, thankful, and humbled. I cannot wait to get out there. You will always be able To: hear the fan in me.”

“I’m very excited to join the IMPACT Wrestling broadcast booth and I know working alongside Matt Striker will be a lot of fun,” Brown said. “I believe in IMPACT Wrestling, with its amazing roster of skilled Superstars and Knockouts -- and can’t wait to have the best seat in the house to call all the action. I’m humbled to follow the IMPACT broadcasting path of Don West and Mike Tenay, and most recently Don Callis, Madison Rayne and certainly Josh Mathews. I’m beyond grateful for this opportunity. I know there are big shoes to fill, but Striker and I will do our best.”

Hard to Kill will be headlined by AEW World Champion Kenny Omega & Impact Tag Team Champions The Good Brothers (Karl Anderson & Doc Gallows) facing Impact World Champion Rich Swann & The Motor City Machine Guns (Alex Shelley & Chris Sabin) in a six-man tag match.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Impact reveals new commentary team, Josh Mathews promoted

Post by cero2k » Jan 13th, '21, 10:38

initially, i was like "Fuck, not striker!", but at the end of the day, he IS better than Matthews. D'lo I have no idea how he'll be, but i do like him on the mic

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 13th, '21, 12:55

cero2k wrote: Jan 13th, '21, 10:30 working alongside Matt Striker will be a lot of fun,” Brown said.

Poor, naive D'Lo.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 15th, '21, 15:47

cero2k wrote: Jan 13th, '21, 10:38 initially, i was like "Fuck, not striker!", but at the end of the day, he IS better than Matthews. D'lo I have no idea how he'll be, but i do like him on the mic
I think with the right guy, Striker can be great. Him and Vampiro were pretty good, and I can't imagine D'Lo would be much worse a partner.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 15th, '21, 23:11

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '21, 15:47 I think with the right guy, Striker can be great. Him and Vampiro were pretty good, and I can't imagine D'Lo would be much worse a partner.
Hyperboles aside, the one thing that is really bad from Striker is when he breaks kayfabe in order to sound legit. Comments like "These guys don't slap their thigh" that he did on a AAA show take it a bit too far. Striker can be great, at one point he was voted best announcer of the year, so if he can be his 'good' version, this team should be great

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 16th, '21, 16:06

cero2k wrote: Jan 15th, '21, 23:11
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 15th, '21, 15:47 I think with the right guy, Striker can be great. Him and Vampiro were pretty good, and I can't imagine D'Lo would be much worse a partner.
Hyperboles aside, the one thing that is really bad from Striker is when he breaks kayfabe in order to sound legit. Comments like "These guys don't slap their thigh" that he did on a AAA show take it a bit too far. Striker can be great, at one point he was voted best announcer of the year, so if he can be his 'good' version, this team should be great
The Striker who won that award he had only been a commentator for a few months (he started in August of that year) and was trying his best to prove himself because he really wanted to be a wrestler and they weren't going to let him wrestle anymore. Then he won that award and started getting confident to the point where he got full of himself and he has been off the rails ever since. The dude just can't help himself at this point. His commentary isn't about the wrestlers- it's about showing you how smart he is. That he knows Thing X and thus will bring it up. That he knows big words or some sort of science thing that he thinks is relevant (even though his science is wrong and he uses the big words incorrectly. That he notices details like the wrestlers not slapping their thighs or that they're doing a callback to a previous finish. He sucks and I can't imagine him fixing himself at this point, because he has had ample opportunity to do so and has not. As Lucha Underground went on, he only go worse and worse.

I give it three months before we hear that Callis is unhappy with him.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3