Tony Khan explains origins of AEW-Impact relationship

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Re: Tony Khan explains origins of AEW-Impact relationship

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '21, 12:24

XIV wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 11:05
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 10:36
XIV wrote: Jan 20th, '21, 14:17 Which is insane. Kenny is the most overhyped wrestler of all time. Seriously, he’s not that good. Steady midcarder at best. He’s running on the spot bullshit is just terrible, his work in the US hasn’t been interesting, his in ring stuff is routines and stuff, he’s just average.
If I'm necroing an old topic I'm sorry, but I think Kenny's AEW run from All Out to basically when he turned on Adam Page is meant to play into those feelings? The fact that he's kinda flubbed at the main event level but put on amazing matches is part of the overarching story AEW is trying to tell, and with that in mind Kenny and Don Callis basically turning him into Hollywood Rock is kinda meant to highlight the up and down nature of his run so far.
I’m not convinced AEW are that smart...
Really?

Having one of the guys they are counting on new viewers perceiving as a top guy purposely work below his abilities for the sake of some sort of meta-artistic point that the story would actually work better without (because then Omega could say that Page was holding him back)?

That's exactly the level of intelligent decision-making I expect from the minds behind AEW.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '21, 12:26

cero2k wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 11:24
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '21, 11:19

Maybe I'm reading their fanbase wrong, but I don't think there is anyone who is watching AEW who doesn't know about Impact and that this angle is going on on Impact also. Between that and other online fans who always salivate over interpromotional angles, I would have thought that TNA would have gotten a boost even without AEW plugging them (and if AEW plugging them wasn't part of the deal, you can't really fault AEW for not doing it).
actual 'interpromotional' just started two weeks ago, before that it was just Omega cutting promos from a bus. I'm sure that most of the AEW fanbase knows about Impact (maybe not the younger crowd), but what i'm saying is that AEW hasn't promoted Impact at all or (aside from the first show) made you think that you should follow AEW's champion wherever he goes.

Impact runs down Dynamite's card every week, AEW can't even promote their champion main eventing other promotions
It was interpromotional from day one because the announcers and all of the people we saw backstage were reacting as if Kenny had stolen the title for TNA.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '21, 12:32

cero2k wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 11:33
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 20th, '21, 11:24
I'm not saying it has to be like ROH vs. CZW in scale. I'm saying that in the ROH vs. CZW feud, the story was the same from both sides, but each saw their group as the babyface. "You're just garbage wrestlers, but we're skilled athletes" and "you guys are snobs and your long matches are boring" are two sides of the same coin. What is happening with AEW and Impact is not two sides of the same coin because the animosity between Khan and Impact (which Khan has shown in his insulting attitude in his paid ads) doesn't make sense once it's clear that Callis is working against the Impact establishment.
I actually feel the sentiment is similar. One side is "the rich kids from Jacksonville think they can come and belittle us", while the other, as we can see in this topic, is "why is AEW dealing with those nobodies?". I see two fanbases defending their promotion.

The feud is just now getting built. Khan takes digs, but it's never to the roster, it's to Impact management (Callis especially), but i'm sure that the AEW fanbase probably sees that promo is completely agree with Khan.
You're not wrong about the fanbases, but the AEW fanbase argument doesn't fit with how things are being portrayed in kayfabe on AEW TV. TNA's guys aren't treated as nobodies. They're (rightfully) treated as big stars.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 21st, '21, 13:23

XIV wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 11:14

He does need to get rid of the girls with brooms though. Who gives a shit about that link to some psy gimmick? Half the people watching have no clue wtf that’s all about and it’s just weird and looks like shit!
File this under "The world's hardest disagree" It's like a Floyd Mayweather entrance as envisioned by the world's biggest, self absorbed dork.

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 12:24
Having one of the guys they are counting on new viewers perceiving as a top guy purposely work below his abilities for the sake of some sort of meta-artistic point that the story would actually work better without (because then Omega could say that Page was holding him back)?
That's exactly the level of intelligent decision-making I expect from the minds behind AEW.

Despite it being very easy to look at the body of work of The Elite and think everything is a meta-commentary, you're way overcomplicating it.. This happens all the time in wrestling, where guys will be depushed for no other reason than the decluttering of the main event scene. I'm sure you can think of tons of examples throughout history, but the ones that leap out at me are Angle and Jericho in the mid 2000s, where, yeah they'll be in the midcard scene occasionally but can be slotted into the main event at any time because they're credible performers. If Kenny was constantly third wheeling in the Jericho vs Moxley scene for the example, we'd get into the territory of the Jim Cornette saying, "How can I miss you if you won't go away?" and we'd get a Roman Reigns type of reaction. It's not uncommon to save a proven performer's next big push for when the stars align just right
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 21st, '21, 13:50

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 13:23
XIV wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 11:14

He does need to get rid of the girls with brooms though. Who gives a shit about that link to some psy gimmick? Half the people watching have no clue wtf that’s all about and it’s just weird and looks like shit!
File this under "The world's hardest disagree" It's like a Floyd Mayweather entrance as envisioned by the world's biggest, self absorbed dork.

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 21st, '21, 12:24

Despite it being very easy to look at the body of work of The Elite and think everything is a meta-commentary, you're way overcomplicating it.. This happens all the time in wrestling, where guys will be depushed for no other reason than the decluttering of the main event scene. I'm sure you can think of tons of examples throughout history, but the ones that leap out at me are Angle and Jericho in the mid 2000s, where, yeah they'll be in the midcard scene occasionally but can be slotted into the main event at any time because they're credible performers. If Kenny was constantly third wheeling in the Jericho vs Moxley scene for the example, we'd get into the territory of the Jim Cornette saying, "How can I miss you if you won't go away?" and we'd get a Roman Reigns type of reaction. It's not uncommon to save a proven performer's next big push for when the stars align just right
1. You've got your history wrong. Jericho was depushed because it was decided that he didn't work as a main eventer (you'll notice that after the Hunter feud, aside from some Elimination Chamber matches, he was never in the world title picture again until they needed angle to write him out, which, if I remember correctly, he had pitched himself).
Angle was taken out of the main event scene to help get Edge and Rey (and the tag titles) over.

2. It's not that Omega has been depushed. He hasn't. He was one of the tag champs in a promotion that pushes their tag division very hard. The issue is the idea that he was holding back in matches on purpose so that they could tell this story about him getting angry and getting a killer instinct or whatever the idea is for why he's suddenly better now that he has turned heel.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation