Paul 'Big Show' Wight signs long-term deal with AEW, AEW announces 'Dark: Elevation

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Paul 'Big Show' Wight signs long-term deal with AEW, AEW announces 'Dark: Elevation

Post by cero2k » Feb 24th, '21, 12:08

PAUL 'BIG SHOW' WIGHT SIGNS LONG-TERM DEAL WITH AEW
source: https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/paul ... aew-334106

Former WWE and WCW World Champion Paul "Big Show" Wight is the newest addition to the AEW roster.

AEW announced on Wednesday that Wight has signed a long-term deal with the company. It was stated that Wight will have an "extensive role" within AEW. In addition to returning to the ring, Wight will be a commentator for AEW's new show "AEW Dark: Elevation."

AEW Dark: Elevation will air on AEW's YouTube channel at 7 p.m. Eastern time on Mondays. The new show is taking place in addition to AEW Dark, which will still air on Tuesdays. AEW Dark: Elevation "will showcase AEW’s established and rising stars, as well as the top independent wrestlers within the industry, competing against each other in the ring in pursuit of wins."

AEW noted that more information about AEW Dark: Elevation and Wight's signing will be announced on tonight's Dynamite. That will include Wight's commentary partner for AEW Dark: Elevation being revealed.

“It’s been amazing to watch what AEW has built in just a couple of years,” Wight said in a press release. “AEW Dark is an incredible platform to hone the skills of up-and-coming wrestlers, but I also love that established AEW talent can build out their personalities and showcase themselves in new ways on Dark. It’s no exaggeration when they say that AEW is boundless.”

“Paul Wight is one of the most recognizable and impressive professional athletes in the world,” AEW CEO, GM, and Head of Creative. Tony Khan said “He wanted to come to AEW because he believes that we’re the best promotion in wrestling, and we believe that he has a lot to offer us, both in the ring as a wrestler, and also outside the ring as a commentator, host and ambassador for AEW.”

“Paul is one of the most experienced stars in all of wrestling, and he’s eager to work with our diverse roster,” added Khan. "He can benefit and guide our young talent with his mentorship, and his expert commentary on AEW Dark: Elevation will educate and entertain our fans, and also educate the younger wrestlers on the roster. Furthermore, Paul enters AEW as a licensed wrestler, and he’s very much looking forward to studying our talent firsthand from the commentary desk in preparation for his return to the ring!”

Wight had most recently appeared on WWE programming at Raw Legends Night last month. He last wrestled for WWE in July 2020.

AEW ANNOUNCES 'DARK: ELEVATION,' PAUL WIGHT ON COMMENTARY
source: https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/aew- ... ary-334116

This was updated at 1:50 PM Eastern.

AEW continues to add to its weekly broadcast lineup, announcing a new show called AEW Dark: Elevation that will air on Mondays on YouTube starting at 7 PM Eastern.

The announcement was paired with their other big announcement that Paul Wight (aka Big Show in WWE) has signed a long-term deal with the company and will be a commentator on the show in addition to in-ring action.

Neither a logo or a start date was announced, but more information was promised for Wednesday's Dynamite.

From the release, Elevation will "showcase AEW’s established and rising stars, as well as the top independent wrestlers within the industry, competing against each other in the ring in pursuit of wins. AEW Dark: Elevation will also maintain continuity with AEW DYNAMITE, AEW Dark, AEW pay-per-view shows and streaming events, with wins and losses factoring into each wrestler’s ranking in the company."

On Twitter, Tony Khan said that Elevation is not the third show they have been discussing for a WarnerMedia property and that another show will ineed debut at some point in 2021.

XIV

Re: Paul 'Big Show' Wight signs long-term deal with AEW, AEW announces 'Dark: Elevation

Post by XIV » Feb 24th, '21, 12:36

Unless they’re paying him huge money, Big Show just put himself out of HOF for the next few years at least.
Have A Nice Day!

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Paul 'Big Show' Wight signs long-term deal with AEW, AEW announces 'Dark: Elevation

Post by cero2k » Feb 24th, '21, 12:43

XIV wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 12:36 Unless they’re paying him huge money, Big Show just put himself out of HOF for the next few years at least.
whatever he's getting paid, it's more than what 'Hall of Famers' get paid for sure. It's the PWI version of a HOF

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 24th, '21, 12:51

cero2k wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 12:43
XIV wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 12:36 Unless they’re paying him huge money, Big Show just put himself out of HOF for the next few years at least.
whatever he's getting paid, it's more than what 'Hall of Famers' get paid for sure. It's the PWI version of a HOF
I’m sure he won’t have gone without letting Vince know first to give them the offer to do something with him.

But in his position I’d possibly do the same, if I wasn’t done with wrestling and wanted to do more.

I’m not sure how he’ll sound on commentary? But it’ll be interesting I’m sure!
Have A Nice Day!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Feb 24th, '21, 13:37

cero2k wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 12:43 It's the PWI version of a HOF
LOL!

A perfect comparison. 10/10.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Feb 24th, '21, 20:28

Now that I read over the description of DARK: Elevation, it sounds so weird, it literally just sounds like an extra hour of DARK. I mean, I have no complains, there's usually nothing to watch on monday anyways

XIV

Post by XIV » Feb 24th, '21, 23:44

cero2k wrote: Feb 24th, '21, 20:28 Now that I read over the description of DARK: Elevation, it sounds so weird, it literally just sounds like an extra hour of DARK. I mean, I have no complains, there's usually nothing to watch on monday anyways
You’d think from the name it’s like, the purgatory between Dark and AEW where they are being “elevated” by being on the thing.
Have A Nice Day!