Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki set for AEW Rampage 'Buy In' show

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki set for AEW Rampage 'Buy In' show

Post by cero2k » Oct 12th, '21, 18:00

BRYAN DANIELSON VS. MINORU SUZUKI SET FOR AEW RAMPAGE 'BUY IN' SHOW
src: https://www.f4wonline.com/aew-news/brya ... how-356081

For the second time ever in a singles match, Bryan Danielson will face Minoru Suzuki this Friday on The Buy In show prior to AEW Rampage in Miami, Florida.

The live hour-long YouTube show was announced Tuesday by Tony Khan, the first time they have done a live lead-in show like this for Rampage or Dynamite.

The two squared off at a July 2004 New Japan Summer Struggle event with Suzuki picking up the win. The two worked against each other in a series of tag team matches that year.

Suzuki recently made his AEW debut against Jon Moxley, followed by a tag team match with Lance Archer against Moxley and Eddie Kingston. He has been stateside since September with appearances for New Japan Strong, AEW, GCW and other indies.

Friday's pre-show will also see Bobby Fish take on Lee Moriarty. Fish and Danielson will square off in a singles match the following night on the special live Saturday edition of AEW Dynamite from Miami.

Big Red Machine

Re: Bryan Danielson vs. Minoru Suzuki set for AEW Rampage 'Buy In' show

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 12th, '21, 19:51

This seems like something we should have to pay for
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 12th, '21, 22:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 19:51 This seems like something we should have to pay for
thank Smackdown trying to push into Rampage's time, but I'd say it's something I'd pay njpwworld, not AEW. Suzuki is booked like shit in AEW

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 13th, '21, 00:29

cero2k wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 22:00
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 12th, '21, 19:51 This seems like something we should have to pay for
thank Smackdown trying to push into Rampage's time, but I'd say it's something I'd pay njpwworld, not AEW. Suzuki is booked like shit in AEW
He's only had two matches and he did the job for one of their top babyfaces. What did you want? It's not like NJPW uber-protects him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 13th, '21, 04:23

So they're having a pre-show on Youtube for the Totally-Not-B-Show and putting Bryan vs. Suzuki, which I assume a lot of hardcore fans are interested in, as a lead-in to... Punk vs. Sydal (how... WWECW of them?), Inner Circle vs. Midcarders of the Year and that MMA guy, and Allie vs. Soho. Yeah, that's not a desperate move and more hotshotting at all, and just so they don't eat shit against a FS1 episode of Smackdown.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 13th, '21, 08:59

I'd think that for a certain group of fans, Dragon vs Suzuki would be worth the price if a PPV, so not sticking it on a PPV(or even some sort of mini-PPV seems odd

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 13th, '21, 11:55

Thelone wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 04:23 So they're having a pre-show on Youtube for the Totally-Not-B-Show and putting Bryan vs. Suzuki, which I assume a lot of hardcore fans are interested in, as a lead-in to... Punk vs. Sydal (how... WWECW of them?), Inner Circle vs. Midcarders of the Year and that MMA guy, and Allie vs. Soho. Yeah, that's not a desperate move and more hotshotting at all, and just so they don't eat shit against a FS1 episode of Smackdown.
man, you really hate this promotion don't you?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 13th, '21, 12:10

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 00:29

He's only had two matches and he did the job for one of their top babyfaces. What did you want? It's not like NJPW uber-protects him.
he had two matches and 1 brawl, he got his ass kicked every time. 2.0 + Garcia got more offense on Mox than Suzuki. Now he's gonna job to Danielson. He's a geek in AEW, he lost to the guy that hasn't done shit since he lost the title. If he's going to come in and put people over, you need to give him some strong wins too, otherwise, he's no different from Joey Janela beating Crowbar on DARK.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 13th, '21, 13:04

cero2k wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 11:55man, you really hate this promotion don't you?
You cannot tell me this is a good decision on Khan's part. He was all cocky last friday talking about how "Rampage was going to beat Smackdown (*cough* on FS1 *cough*) as they're gonna be head-to-head (for 30 minutes) this week", then the Rampage ratings came out and were abysmal, and this is the result of Mr. Booker of the Year's big mouth : the biggest star they have on a """special""" B-show pre-show on Youtube (that you'll be able to watch whenever you want anyway) leading up to yet another boring Punk match no one cares about. They'll be happy to be above 400k this week.

And yeah, I definitely think very little of AEW at this point. Last year before THE PLAGUE ran wild, I was actually tempted to give them another try during the Blood & Guts build-up (so March I think?) as I felt they were going on the right track, but they started signing shitty WWE castoffs like Hardy, FTR and Brodie, didn't care one bit about Cody's upcoming reign of terror as TNT champion, and the beginning of the no-crowd era sealed the deal really. That itch never came back since then and most likely never will.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 14th, '21, 15:05

Thelone wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 13:04
cero2k wrote: Oct 13th, '21, 11:55man, you really hate this promotion don't you?
You cannot tell me this is a good decision on Khan's part. He was all cocky last friday talking about how "Rampage was going to beat Smackdown (*cough* on FS1 *cough*) as they're gonna be head-to-head (for 30 minutes) this week", then the Rampage ratings came out and were abysmal, and this is the result of Mr. Booker of the Year's big mouth : the biggest star they have on a """special""" B-show pre-show on Youtube (that you'll be able to watch whenever you want anyway) leading up to yet another boring Punk match no one cares about. They'll be happy to be above 400k this week.

And yeah, I definitely think very little of AEW at this point. Last year before THE PLAGUE ran wild, I was actually tempted to give them another try during the Blood & Guts build-up (so March I think?) as I felt they were going on the right track, but they started signing shitty WWE castoffs like Hardy, FTR and Brodie, didn't care one bit about Cody's upcoming reign of terror as TNT champion, and the beginning of the no-crowd era sealed the deal really. That itch never came back since then and most likely never will.
I don't see what's so bad about the decision, it's a one-time match against someone that is not even in the roster, it's not like they're giving you Omega v Danielson title match on Youtube, it's just Suzuki who they've treated as a jobber to the stars. This is not what 'hot shot' booking is. If the other company decides to jump into your turf (again), I don't exactly see why you'd expect for AEW to simply sit there and not do anything about it, THAT would be a bad decision, because as you said, the last week rating was down against competition and this week would be double competition. They're trying to have people tune it out of Smackdown early and I won't be surprised if Suzuki vs Dragon spills from the buy-in into the actual show.

To each their own. I don't really feel that FTR and Brodie are 'shitty WWE castoffs', I actually don't think of a single wrestler like that, but that's another story. They've signed about 5% of all the fired people during the pandemic, I don't see where the argument that AEW is a bunch of 'cast-offs' would stand, and as for Cody, I don't like the guy, but he's been trying to put people over all year and he's barely there anyway. It is funny tho because I think that you who dislikes AEW watches way more AEW than I do, I rarely tune in to a whole show, ain't nobody have time for US wrestling now a days.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 15th, '21, 08:58

cero2k wrote: Oct 14th, '21, 15:05I don't see what's so bad about the decision, it's a one-time match against someone that is not even in the roster, it's not like they're giving you Omega v Danielson title match on Youtube, it's just Suzuki who they've treated as a jobber to the stars. This is not what 'hot shot' booking is. If the other company decides to jump into your turf (again), I don't exactly see why you'd expect for AEW to simply sit there and not do anything about it, THAT would be a bad decision, because as you said, the last week rating was down against competition and this week would be double competition. They're trying to have people tune it out of Smackdown early and I won't be surprised if Suzuki vs Dragon spills from the buy-in into the actual show.
It's not the first time a FS1 Smackdown episode is 2h30. The extra thirty minutes are commercial-free this time because Booker of the Year opened his mouth most likely. Keep in mind that the last time Smackdown was on FS1, they did about a million viewers, so they're in no danger of "losing" against a sinking Rampage. Khan should worry more about why Rampage is dropping down like a rock despite putting Bryan and/or Punk on it every week. Instead, he's been in complete damage control/meltdown mode this week saying dumb shit like "oh we aren't really competing with Smackdown this week", "RAW sucks" and "I have more money than Vince, so I can outlast him anyway". Also spoiling his next PPV card because he does his fantasy booking during Jags matches apparently.

As for hotshotting, yeah Bryan vs. Suzuki isn't exactly a PPV main event or anything, but this is a match that should be on TV, not a fucking Youtube pre-show. Also it kinda devalues Bryan to even be on such a nothing "show". He was main eventing Wrestlemania six months ago after all, and now we have this because Khan just can't shut up and/or take the L like a man.
To each their own. I don't really feel that FTR and Brodie are 'shitty WWE castoffs', I actually don't think of a single wrestler like that, but that's another story. They've signed about 5% of all the fired people during the pandemic, I don't see where the argument that AEW is a bunch of 'cast-offs' would stand, and as for Cody, I don't like the guy, but he's been trying to put people over all year and he's barely there anyway. It is funny tho because I think that you who dislikes AEW watches way more AEW than I do, I rarely tune in to a whole show, ain't nobody have time for US wrestling now a days.
Wait, you really think I hate watch this shit? I haven't watched a full show since the first All Out in 2019 and basing my opinions on reviews and stuff. Yeah, I'll look up their dumbest segments on Youtube (that abortion of a Shaq reveal with Cargill, Cody ending racism, the deathmatch """explosion""", Wide2J falling on a inflatable mattress designed for elephants, and probably a few more I'm forgetting), and that's about as far as I go.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 15th, '21, 13:17

cero2k wrote: Oct 14th, '21, 15:05

I don't see what's so bad about the decision, it's a one-time match against someone that is not even in the roster, it's not like they're giving you Omega v Danielson title match on Youtube, it's just Suzuki who they've treated as a jobber to the stars. This is not what 'hot shot' booking is. If the other company decides to jump into your turf (again), I don't exactly see why you'd expect for AEW to simply sit there and not do anything about it, THAT would be a bad decision, because as you said, the last week rating was down against competition and this week would be double competition. They're trying to have people tune it out of Smackdown early and I won't be surprised if Suzuki vs Dragon spills from the buy-in into the actual show.
In terms of the fight for live viewers with this sort of thing, I think it's pretty silly in the age of DVRs and on-demand streaming.
I do think that doing a big match for the purposes of trying to eat into someone else's rating can be considered hot-shotting.

In this case, I'm not sure how wise it is because I don't know how much of a draw Suzuki is (even against someone like Dragon, you have to already know Suzuki for that to feel like a big match) to the Smackdown audience. As I said above, this is a dream-match to a niche, so not only do I not think it will really do what AEW wants, but I think they could have made quite a bit of money from that niche putting this on some sort of PPV or iPPV (and I most certainly am the target audience for this match).

I really hope they don't have it spill over into the main show if it means I have to change devices in the middle of the match.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 15th, '21, 13:18

Tony running his mouth here was a factor in WWE getting that extra time. No doubt about it. Saying that sort of stuff doesn't just piss off Vince, it pisses off Fox, too.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 15th, '21, 15:24

I don't think calling FTR "cast-offs" is fair. This isn't TNA bringing in Mike Knox. I don't think the negative stigma is there if you sign someone who WWE cut that people don't think got a fair shake in WWE. FTR definitely fit that description. Brodie... maybe, but I think that they certainly did their best to re-cast him so he wasn't close to being the same guy we saw in WWE. I don't think what they did with him was any good, but they made real efforts to show that he wasn't the same guy.
Cody certainly didn't fit that description, either, although I think time has proven him as someone who probably needs a WWE-style strict agenting regime guiding him.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '21, 12:40

Thelone wrote: Oct 15th, '21, 08:58 It's not the first time a FS1 Smackdown episode is 2h30. The extra thirty minutes are commercial-free this time because Booker of the Year opened his mouth most likely. Keep in mind that the last time Smackdown was on FS1, they did about a million viewers, so they're in no danger of "losing" against a sinking Rampage. Khan should worry more about why Rampage is dropping down like a rock despite putting Bryan and/or Punk on it every week. Instead, he's been in complete damage control/meltdown mode this week saying dumb shit like "oh we aren't really competing with Smackdown this week", "RAW sucks" and "I have more money than Vince, so I can outlast him anyway". Also spoiling his next PPV card because he does his fantasy booking during Jags matches apparently.

As for hotshotting, yeah Bryan vs. Suzuki isn't exactly a PPV main event or anything, but this is a match that should be on TV, not a fucking Youtube pre-show. Also it kinda devalues Bryan to even be on such a nothing "show". He was main eventing Wrestlemania six months ago after all, and now we have this because Khan just can't shut up and/or take the L like a man.
I have zero memory of another 2h30m Smackdown on FS1, when did they do it? And I think you're getting worked by Khan, everyone knows Rampage on cable at 10PM has no chance to beat Smackdown ON FOX at an earlier time slot, Khan knows that, everyone knows it, if you haven't noticed, Khan talks shit because he enjoys it and the 'competition' . Rampage is falling because it has the worst time slot possible, but that's it, It's still beating NXT most weeks, ROH, Impact, MLW, You're talking like if it was doing 200K on prime time. I may be completely wrong here and apologize if so, but it comes off like you have a very personal grudge against Tony Khan.

I also don't see how working Rampage devalues anyone. He had a match that everyone who saw it loved, the crowd was hotter than anything else you can watch on TV. If anything else, he gets booked there because he elevates Rampage.
Thelone wrote: Oct 15th, '21, 08:58 Wait, you really think I hate watch this shit? I haven't watched a full show since the first All Out in 2019 and basing my opinions on reviews and stuff. Yeah, I'll look up their dumbest segments on Youtube (that abortion of a Shaq reveal with Cargill, Cody ending racism, the deathmatch """explosion""", Wide2J falling on a inflatable mattress designed for elephants, and probably a few more I'm forgetting), and that's about as far as I go.
Now you have me curious, what are you currently following because you actually love it?

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 16th, '21, 15:27

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 15th, '21, 13:17
In terms of the fight for live viewers with this sort of thing, I think it's pretty silly in the age of DVRs and on-demand streaming.
I do think that doing a big match for the purposes of trying to eat into someone else's rating can be considered hot-shotting.

In this case, I'm not sure how wise it is because I don't know how much of a draw Suzuki is (even against someone like Dragon, you have to already know Suzuki for that to feel like a big match) to the Smackdown audience. As I said above, this is a dream-match to a niche, so not only do I not think it will really do what AEW wants, but I think they could have made quite a bit of money from that niche putting this on some sort of PPV or iPPV (and I most certainly am the target audience for this match).

I really hope they don't have it spill over into the main show if it means I have to change devices in the middle of the match.
It kinda is, but rating battles are still an every week thing, sponsors and networks are still focused on every single number and demo, and as much as we know DVR is a thing, it's still the live rating that matters because people don't watch commercials on DVR. It's the fans who should let it go, but it's the only thing that can be quantifiably used for the tribalism we have in wrestling right now.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 17th, '21, 18:49

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '21, 12:40I have zero memory of another 2h30m Smackdown on FS1, when did they do it? And I think you're getting worked by Khan, everyone knows Rampage on cable at 10PM has no chance to beat Smackdown ON FOX at an earlier time slot, Khan knows that, everyone knows it, if you haven't noticed, Khan talks shit because he enjoys it and the 'competition' . Rampage is falling because it has the worst time slot possible, but that's it, It's still beating NXT most weeks, ROH, Impact, MLW, You're talking like if it was doing 200K on prime time. I may be completely wrong here and apologize if so, but it comes off like you have a very personal grudge against Tony Khan.
Is it really "getting worked" when Khan literally said himself that "he was looking forward to beat them this week" because Smackdown was on the weaker channel? During the whole week, Khan has been going on podcasts and venting on SoCiAl MeDiA saying the dumbest things, the last being some weird comment about Ted Turner on Twitter before Rampage.

Maybe the current execs at WarnerMedia don't give too much of a shit, but that still seems like an incredibly stupid comment to make.
I also don't see how working Rampage devalues anyone. He had a match that everyone who saw it loved, the crowd was hotter than anything else you can watch on TV. If anything else, he gets booked there because he elevates Rampage.
For the same reason you never saw Austin or Rock on Velocity or Heat, or Cena/Reigns on Main Event.

And besides his debut show, Punk didn't really help that much since the show has been in freefall. Sure, it was never going to stay at 1.1M, but it lost more than half in less than two months despite both Bryan and Punk appearing. At least Khan's ramblings seem to have rallied the troops and they finally stopped the bleeding this week, but will they stay at the numbers we'll have monday or will the fall resume as soon as they're not in a ballpit scrap with Smackdown?

Also yeah, I'm sure that TNT is most likely fine with 500k, I never said they'll be cancelled if they stay at that level.
Now you have me curious, what are you currently following because you actually love it?
Right now, nothing actually.
  • I stopped watching ROH around 2015 because I didn't care about Jay Lethal winning the belt (I also "had a personal vendetta" against him according to some people on ROHWorld) and New Japan taking over
  • Stopped NXT after Takeover Dallas in 2016 when it became clear that they were just going for indy names and snowflakes and mostly gave up on storytelling and characters
  • Stopped Shimmer at Volume 64 after a bunch of bad shows (still have 65-70 sealed in a box somewhere)
  • Stopped WSU at the end of 2016 because DJ Hyde is a really shitty booker and I got tired of the constant "one step forward, two steps back"
Most recently, I gave AEW a try before the TV debut and wasn't impressed to put it lightly. I lost interest in MLW after a fairly long string of boring, underwhelming shows. OVW was the last one I tried, but got really bored with that tournament for a third-tier belt that only ended two weeks ago, how unfocused the show is because they have SIX active titles now, and how confusing it is to follow the show. Like, you really have to watch the two-hour version on Fite.tv to get the full picture and for some ungodly reason, the show is split on Youtube between the main channel and... a barely advertised side channel (ONE mention on the website and no link from the main one) that I found by accident the other day. Just... WHY?

*ahem*

Quite frankly, I might give OVW another try since the tournament is finally over and they seem to be gunning for a spot with ROH/Impact/MLW, but I just wish it wasn't yet another two-hour show. I can watch the dumbest shit on Youtube for hours (YTP's, Let's Play's, reviews, just random videos I stumble upon), but I cannot watch a two-hour wrestling show in one sitting no matter how good or horrible it is.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '21, 19:43

Thelone wrote: Oct 17th, '21, 18:49
cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '21, 12:40I have zero memory of another 2h30m Smackdown on FS1, when did they do it? And I think you're getting worked by Khan, everyone knows Rampage on cable at 10PM has no chance to beat Smackdown ON FOX at an earlier time slot, Khan knows that, everyone knows it, if you haven't noticed, Khan talks shit because he enjoys it and the 'competition' . Rampage is falling because it has the worst time slot possible, but that's it, It's still beating NXT most weeks, ROH, Impact, MLW, You're talking like if it was doing 200K on prime time. I may be completely wrong here and apologize if so, but it comes off like you have a very personal grudge against Tony Khan.
Is it really "getting worked" when Khan literally said himself that "he was looking forward to beat them this week" because Smackdown was on the weaker channel?
Yeah, this is not Tony "working" anyone. This is Tony saying things. Saying that he is "working" people is a post-facto defense that marks use to try to defend him when he turns out to be wrong (and he's not the only person in the wrestling business this happens with). It's the wrestling version of "take him seriously, but not literally," as the Trump supporters used to (and maybe still do?) say.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '21, 19:49

Thelone wrote: Oct 17th, '21, 18:49 During the whole week, Khan has been going on podcasts and venting on SoCiAl MeDiA saying the dumbest things, the last being some weird comment about Ted Turner on Twitter before Rampage.

This is actually pretty damning, to me, as it shows a complete and total lack of understanding of the power structure in WCW and Turner. Ted was about five levels above where Bischoff/Watts/Herd/Busch/Frey/whoever were. Ted Turner's job wasn't to manage WCW; it was to manage the entire Turner media empire on the macro level. The idea that Ted Turner was the one "running" WCW is the sort of thing that only people who buy into WWE propaganda think.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 17th, '21, 19:55

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '21, 12:40I also don't see how working Rampage devalues anyone. He had a match that everyone who saw it loved, the crowd was hotter than anything else you can watch on TV. If anything else, he gets booked there because he elevates Rampage.
For the same reason you never saw Austin or Rock on Velocity or Heat, or Cena/Reigns on Main Event.
To be fair, you actually did see Rock and Austin on Heat early in its run. Ditto with Cena and Take on Main Event. Vince treated those shows as important when they started. The big stars stopped appearing on them when he lost interest and decided that they weren't important. I think Tony Khan has done an excellent job at keeping Rampage feeling important thus far.

cero2k wrote: Oct 16th, '21, 12:40Now you have me curious, what are you currently following because you actually love it?
Right now, nothing actually.
  • I stopped watching ROH around 2015 because I didn't care about Jay Lethal winning the belt (I also "had a personal vendetta" against him according to some people on ROHWorld) and New Japan taking over
  • Stopped NXT after Takeover Dallas in 2016 when it became clear that they were just going for indy names and snowflakes and mostly gave up on storytelling and characters
  • Stopped Shimmer at Volume 64 after a bunch of bad shows (still have 65-70 sealed in a box somewhere)
  • Stopped WSU at the end of 2016 because DJ Hyde is a really shitty booker and I got tired of the constant "one step forward, two steps back"
Most recently, I gave AEW a try before the TV debut and wasn't impressed to put it lightly. I lost interest in MLW after a fairly long string of boring, underwhelming shows. OVW was the last one I tried, but got really bored with that tournament for a third-tier belt that only ended two weeks ago, how unfocused the show is because they have SIX active titles now, and how confusing it is to follow the show. Like, you really have to watch the two-hour version on Fite.tv to get the full picture and for some ungodly reason, the show is split on Youtube between the main channel and... a barely advertised side channel (ONE mention on the website and no link from the main one) that I found by accident the other day. Just... WHY?

*ahem*

Quite frankly, I might give OVW another try since the tournament is finally over and they seem to be gunning for a spot with ROH/Impact/MLW, but I just wish it wasn't yet another two-hour show. I can watch the dumbest shit on Youtube for hours (YTP's, Let's Play's, reviews, just random videos I stumble upon), but I cannot watch a two-hour wrestling show in one sitting no matter how good or horrible it is.
I'd recomend wXw, but their weekly show is usually about two hours, too.

What you should do is use your Peacock subscription and go back and watch the golden days of 205 Live, from when Enzo is stripped of the title to when NXT takes the belt.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation