Ring of Honor to 'reimagine' company in first quarter of 2022, Contracts Update

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Ring of Honor to 'reimagine' company in first quarter of 2022, Contracts Update

Post by cero2k » Oct 27th, '21, 18:04

RING OF HONOR TO 'REIMAGINE' COMPANY IN FIRST QUARTER OF 2022
https://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/ri ... 022-357691

Ring of Honor announced on Wednesday that they will be taking the first quarter of 2022 to "work internally to reimagine ROH."

The statement reads as follows:
"Throughout the pandemic, our top priority was to keep everyone healthy and safe, and despite not producing any live events over 18 months, we were able to keep everyone fully contracted.

We now find ourselves at a time where we need to make changes to our new business operations and are planning a pivot for Ring of Honor, with a new mission and strategy.

The year will culminate with a Final Battle in December, and we will be taking the first quarter of 2022 to work internally to reimagine ROH. ROH has the most dedicated fans in the industry, and we appreciate their loyalty and patience as we reconceptualize ROH.

We anticipate returning to live events in April for the Super Card of Honor with a new fan-focused product and provide a unique experience for wrestling fans."
ROH, owned by Sinclair Broadcast Group, has been holding closed set TV tapings in Baltimore, Maryland. They are holding the aforementioned Final Battle pay-per-view on Saturday, December 11th from the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena in Baltimore.

ROH NOT RENEWING TALENT CONTRACTS FOLLOWING HIATUS ANNOUNCEMENT

https://www.f4wonline.com/ring-honor/ro ... ent-357701

Contracted talent signed to Ring of Honor won’t have their contracts renewed as the company looks to go on hiatus and re-evaluate in the first quarter of 2022.

Bryan Alvarez is reporting that contracted talent will not have their contracts renewed and are allowed to work anywhere they want immediately. They will also be paid through the end of the year. However, they will finish out remaining ROH dates for 2021. ROH will continue with a November television taping followed by their Final Battle pay-per-view, which will take place on December 11 at the Chesapeake Employers Insurance Arena in Baltimore, Maryland.

Final Battle will be the first card to have fans in attendance since the Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view in September. Recent television tapings have been held without fans.

Rumors that Sinclair Broadcasting, the parent company of Ring of Honor, has canceled ROH’s television show are not true.

ROH this afternoon released a statement saying they would not be holding shows in the first quarter of 2022 in order to “work internally ro reimagine ROH”. The statement also said that they anticipated a return to live events in April for their annual Super Card of Honor event.

Ring of Honor held their first event in February 2002. In 2011, they were purchased by Sinclair Broadcasting.
The show will be the first for the company with fans in attendance since September's Death Before Dishonor PPV.

Big Red Machine

Re: Ring of Honor to 'reimagine' company in first quarter of 2022, Contracts Update

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '21, 19:12

Not sure how you can plan for a "reimagined" product when you don't have at least a small core of wrestlers locked down.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Ring of Honor to 'reimagine' company in first quarter of 2022, Contracts Update

Post by cero2k » Oct 27th, '21, 21:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 19:12 Not sure how you can plan for a "reimagined" product when you don't have at least a small core of wrestlers locked down.
You can always start negotiations with some, re-negotiate contracts and all. They're still doing a bunch of tapings and Final Battle, so everyone involved on that time will have to be talked to, I can't imagine they come to work without asking about the future.

What I'm thinking is that you don't say you're 'reimagining' something without already have an idea of what you're looking for

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 27th, '21, 21:34

cero2k wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 21:15
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 19:12 Not sure how you can plan for a "reimagined" product when you don't have at least a small core of wrestlers locked down.
You can always start negotiations with some, re-negotiate contracts and all. They're still doing a bunch of tapings and Final Battle, so everyone involved on that time will have to be talked to, I can't imagine they come to work without asking about the future.

What I'm thinking is that you don't say you're 'reimagining' something without already have an idea of what you're looking for
One would hope, but at this point I wouldn't put it past Delirious to do that.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 28th, '21, 06:58

If they're actually planning to come back for SCOH 2022, you'd think they've at least already talked with whoever they wanna bring back and maybe even got some deals in place, but told them to keep it quiet for the time being.

What's worrying to me is how generic and hollow this official statement sounds. Like, how far can you really "reimagine" a pro wrestling show/promotion? Quite frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if EC3 ends up with the book and does his Free The Narrative stuff as ROH TV moving forward.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 28th, '21, 12:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 27th, '21, 21:34
One would hope, but at this point I wouldn't put it past Delirious to do that.
Something tells me Delirious is not part of the re-imagined version of ROH, if the problem came down to booking, you don't stop your television nor release contracts, you do a ROH2.0 with Crayola colors.

Also, wanted to add from today's WOR. Per Alvarez, contracts are just not getting renewed on January, but they still have some people under contract until Jan 2022. Only problem is that they're losing exclusivity over most people. Technically, people can start WWE/AEW/Impact negotiations as of today

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 28th, '21, 12:34

Thelone wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 06:58
If they're actually planning to come back for SCOH 2022, you'd think they've at least already talked with whoever they wanna bring back and maybe even got some deals in place, but told them to keep it quiet for the time being.

What's worrying to me is how generic and hollow this official statement sounds. Like, how far can you really "reimagine" a pro wrestling show/promotion? Quite frankly, I wouldn't be shocked if EC3 ends up with the book and does his Free The Narrative stuff as ROH TV moving forward.
this is my feeling too, I can't imagine guys like Lethal were caught off guard. Briscoes doing GCW also tells me that they kinda jumped on things before the news came out, ROH can't threaten anyone to not show up on indies anymore, Briscoes capitalized early.

Idk if I'd say it was hollow, but without a press conference or proper interview to follow, there are many questions. Sinclair hasn't cancelled the time slot, so they do seem to want to keep it available for ROH to return. I could see ROH come back with a different type of schedule, something more like NXT or AEW, which I guess could necessitate way more management than just changing logo again and booking fun shows.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '21, 14:51

cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 12:34
Thelone wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 06:58

this is my feeling too, I can't imagine guys like Lethal were caught off guard. Briscoes doing GCW also tells me that they kinda jumped on things before the news came out, ROH can't threaten anyone to not show up on indies anymore, Briscoes capitalized early.

Idk if I'd say it was hollow, but without a press conference or proper interview to follow, there are many questions. Sinclair hasn't cancelled the time slot, so they do seem to want to keep it available for ROH to return. I could see ROH come back with a different type of schedule, something more like NXT or AEW, which I guess could necessitate way more management than just changing logo again and booking fun shows.
Their schedule has essentially been a more economically efficient and COVID-safer version of what NXT and AEW have been doing. The biggest issue is the booking

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 28th, '21, 18:50

cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 12:34Idk if I'd say it was hollow, but without a press conference or proper interview to follow, there are many questions. Sinclair hasn't cancelled the time slot, so they do seem to want to keep it available for ROH to return. I could see ROH come back with a different type of schedule, something more like NXT or AEW, which I guess could necessitate way more management than just changing logo again and booking fun shows.
Hollow might be a bit strong, but the statement says both very little because it seems so generic (like something any random business in difficulty would say in that situation) and also an awful lot because you can tell from a mile away that a non-wrestling person wrote this.

Like NXT, ROH really needs a good cleanup because the roster has been stagnant and filled with guys with no upside for so long. It's crazy to me that guys like Brian Mayonnaise (5), BCB (7), Cheeseburger (9), Titus (16!), and a ton more (don't really want to write a novel here, probably will anyway) have all such long tenure despite being easily replaceable and adding nothing to the show overall. They have to make space for new people, but it's not gonna matter at all if you keep the same triumvirate on top. If you change the wrestlers but keep Delirious/Koff/Gillegand, they're gonna be wasted in record time by Lizard Man's dry as sand and uninspired booking; and if you keep the wrestlers and only change the trio on top, whoever is the new booker will have to work with 85% of guys with no upward mobility and no one ever cared about anyway.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '21, 20:19

Thelone wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 18:50
cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 12:34Idk if I'd say it was hollow, but without a press conference or proper interview to follow, there are many questions. Sinclair hasn't cancelled the time slot, so they do seem to want to keep it available for ROH to return. I could see ROH come back with a different type of schedule, something more like NXT or AEW, which I guess could necessitate way more management than just changing logo again and booking fun shows.
Hollow might be a bit strong, but the statement says both very little because it seems so generic (like something any random business in difficulty would say in that situation) and also an awful lot because you can tell from a mile away that a non-wrestling person wrote this.

Like NXT, ROH really needs a good cleanup because the roster has been stagnant and filled with guys with no upside for so long. It's crazy to me that guys like Brian Mayonnaise (5), BCB (7), Cheeseburger (9), Titus (16!), and a ton more (don't really want to write a novel here, probably will anyway) have all such long tenure despite being easily replaceable and adding nothing to the show overall. They have to make space for new people, but it's not gonna matter at all if you keep the same triumvirate on top. If you change the wrestlers but keep Delirious/Koff/Gillegand, they're gonna be wasted in record time by Lizard Man's dry as sand and uninspired booking; and if you keep the wrestlers and only change the trio on top, whoever is the new booker will have to work with 85% of guys with no upward mobility and no one ever cared about anyway.
This.

A lot of people seem to be taking the statement at face value (including people I would expect to be more skeptical, like Sean Radican), but when I read it , I couldn't help but see a soup of buzzwords.

And yes, the utilization of talent (along with generally poor storylines) have been their issue. There is no reason to be wasting time with a good third of the people they have on the roster. I LIKE Rhett Titus, but unless he's being Kenny King's tag team partner, even I don't see anything in him past a lower-midcard heel.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 28th, '21, 22:41

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 20:19
This.

A lot of people seem to be taking the statement at face value (including people I would expect to be more skeptical, like Sean Radican), but when I read it , I couldn't help but see a soup of buzzwords.

And yes, the utilization of talent (along with generally poor storylines) have been their issue. There is no reason to be wasting time with a good third of the people they have on the roster. I LIKE Rhett Titus, but unless he's being Kenny King's tag team partner, even I don't see anything in him past a lower-midcard heel.
I think the fact that we can all pin point different deficiencies is why they decided to enter this shut down, it's not just one thing. For all these different reasons, ROH just doesn't produce a good tv product that is going to grow by itself. Like you say booking Red, but I don't even think they have a cool looking show to even keep me watching to see if the booking is good or not, or like TheLone says, the wrestlers aren't that appealing either to care for their stories.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 28th, '21, 23:13

cero2k wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 22:41
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 20:19
This.

I think the fact that we can all pin point different deficiencies is why they decided to enter this shut down, it's not just one thing. For all these different reasons, ROH just doesn't produce a good tv product that is going to grow by itself. Like you say booking Red, but I don't even think they have a cool looking show to even keep me watching to see if the booking is good or not, or like TheLone says, the wrestlers aren't that appealing either to care for their stories.
I think the wrestlers being appealing and caring for their stories is all booking.
The look is definitely a major issue. Kind of contributing to that, I'd throw some of the stuff Ian and Caprice say in there, too. They (and especially Ian) will often come off like an announcer from the tail end of the territory days.

I just don't have faith that the powers that be will be able to recognize these problems, because if they could they would have moved towards fixing them already.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 29th, '21, 09:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 23:13
I think the wrestlers being appealing and caring for their stories is all booking.
The look is definitely a major issue. Kind of contributing to that, I'd throw some of the stuff Ian and Caprice say in there, too. They (and especially Ian) will often come off like an announcer from the tail end of the territory days.

I just don't have faith that the powers that be will be able to recognize these problems, because if they could they would have moved towards fixing them already.
Joe Koff seems like someone that liked getting into wrestling and maybe he started paying more attention to other promotions, I have to imagine that they at least follow WWE and AEW and can notice how those shows come off compare to theirs.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 29th, '21, 10:05

cero2k wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 09:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 28th, '21, 23:13

Joe Koff seems like someone that liked getting into wrestling and maybe he started paying more attention to other promotions, I have to imagine that they at least follow WWE and AEW and can notice how those shows come off compare to theirs.
Right, but that's only half of the battle. I don't trust that they can come up with a constructive answer, as opposed to doing what TNA used to do all the time and find some golden carrot whose absence they could blame their failings on. "Our show is great. We just need *insert thing here* (prime time/two hours/Sting/Hogan/to be in the road every week).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 29th, '21, 10:23

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 10:05

Right, but that's only half of the battle. I don't trust that they can come up with a constructive answer, as opposed to doing what TNA used to do all the time and find some golden carrot whose absence they could blame their failings on. "Our show is great. We just need *insert thing here* (prime time/two hours/Sting/Hogan/to be in the road every week).
yeap, I agree. I think them trying to take power away from Delirious three times since 2019 is an indication that someone sees him as a weak link and that they have an idea on how to measure a booker's competence.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 29th, '21, 11:51

cero2k wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 10:23
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 10:05

yeap, I agree. I think them trying to take power away from Delirious three times since 2019 is an indication that someone sees him as a weak link and that they have an idea on how to measure a booker's competence.
3? All I can think of is Scurll getting bathe book, and even then Delirious was still going to be the assistant booker. What were the others?
Also, I'm not sure this is an attempt to get power away from him. I assume he's part if their brain-trust. He and Koff are supposedly very closem

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Oct 29th, '21, 14:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 11:51
3? All I can think of is Scurll getting bathe book, and even then Delirious was still going to be the assistant booker. What were the others?
Also, I'm not sure this is an attempt to get power away from him. I assume he's part if their brain-trust. He and Koff are supposedly very closem
I think Lethal was going to replace him at one point too, and from what I understand, he lost the booking of the women in this last 'restart' of the division. I could be wrong.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 29th, '21, 14:21

cero2k wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 14:11
Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 11:51
I think Lethal was going to replace him at one point too, and from what I understand, he lost the booking of the women in this last 'restart' of the division. I could be wrong.
Lethal 'having influence" sounds familiar. There have actually been a few of those over the years, going back to 2015 or so. I remember at one point Truth Martini and Todd Sinclair supposedly being involved, and Daniels at one point as well. Also, I can't imagine they brought in Kevin Eck just to write articles for the website (although who knows, maybe they did). It often felt like Eck's articles were trying to clean up messes that the booking/and or lack of communication to the announcers made.

I don't remember hearing anything specific about someone else booking the women.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 29th, '21, 14:49

Wade cited an SI article which claims that not only are they shopping the Sinclair Era library, but that they have been doing so for quite a while. I can't see it having too much value to anyone other than AEW (and maybe a bit to NJPW and WWE).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Oct 29th, '21, 15:35

Big Red Machine wrote: Oct 29th, '21, 14:21Lethal 'having influence" sounds familiar. There have actually been a few of those over the years, going back to 2015 or so. I remember at one point Truth Martini and Todd Sinclair supposedly being involved, and Daniels at one point as well. Also, I can't imagine they brought in Kevin Eck just to write articles for the website (although who knows, maybe they did). It often felt like Eck's articles were trying to clean up messes that the booking/and or lack of communication to the announcers made.
There was a time (probably around 2015 yeah) when it felt like they had like half a dozen people with some kind of "creative input" or whatever you wanna call it. I remember Delirious obviously, Martini, Nana, Daniels, Gedo, Jeff Jones, Sinclair and I feel like I'm forgetting someone else (Corino maybe with the endless feud with Whitmer?). I'm sure a couple of them were more on regular road agent duties than actual booking/creative, but that was never made clear.
I don't remember hearing anything specific about someone else booking the women.
Isn't Gresham booking the division nowadays?