Cody Rhodes reportedly working without an AEW contract

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Cody Rhodes reportedly working without an AEW contract

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 15:00

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 13:23
cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:04 My general consensus is that it's not a matter of a match or a spot, not even a show. It's how you tell your overall stories and you create character profiles and then you explore how those characters interact with each other. I don't see a problem if big wrestler gets taken out by a table spot, but the little one survives it as long as we know the little guy (1) hasn't taken enough damaged, (2) tends to take a lot of damage and keep going, or (3) the spot itself wasn't as devastating as the other.

Moreover, regardless of the character, there are many reasons why people can kick out of things or moves differently. a 'finisher' (which is a dumb concept to begin with), really shouldn't be able to take out someone, a trained fighter, as the first move, unless that's the story. A 'finisher' can be kicked out more and more as we see the story of a wrestler getting worn out, or if it's hit on someone who has a strong defense against that move. Playing around with that can create great stories, like Okada's last 4 years.

The best way I've heard the "finisher" argument made is that it's a "confidence" thing, like a pitcher with a pitch they go to when they really need to get an out.
I like that approach, similar to the idea that anyone can do a destroyer, but no one's was as devastating as Petey's, or the superkick with HBK. I've started changing it to 'signature move' more and more on my writings.