Jonathan Gresham off PWG Battle of Los Angeles due to COVID-19

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Jonathan Gresham off PWG Battle of Los Angeles due to COVID-19

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 10:38

Src: https://www.f4wonline.com/news/indies/j ... s-covid-19

COVID-19 has forced one of the competitors for this year's PWG Battle of Los Angeles out of the tournament.

Jonathan Gresham has announced that he won't be able to compete in the Battle of Los Angeles this weekend due to testing positive for COVID-19. Testing positive for COVID also prevented Gresham from wrestling at Game Changer Wrestling's The Wrld on GCW show this past Sunday.

"Unfortunately, I will not be making it to LA tomorrow for BOLA. I recently caught covid, and as a result, I had to miss GCW at the Hammerstein Ballroom," Gresham tweeted. "I am still testing positive as of today and don't want to put any colleagues/fans in harms way."

Gresham was scheduled to face Davey Richards in the first round of the Battle of Los Angeles. A new opponent for Richards has yet to be announced.

The 2022 Battle of Los Angeles is a two-night tournament that's taking place this Saturday and Sunday. The first round matchups are listed below:

Bandido vs. "Speedball" Mike Bailey
Jonah vs. Buddy Matthews
Davey Richards vs. an opponent to be announced
JD Drake vs. Black Taurus
Lee Moriarty vs. Alex Shelley
Jack Cartwheel vs. Lio Rush
Kevin Blackwood vs. Daniel Garcia
Aramis vs. Rey Horus

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Jonathan Gresham off PWG Battle of Los Angeles due to COVID-19

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 10:39

On other news, there's a battle of Los Angeles this weekend. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

At least Gresham got to do all the Impact tapings, he's been great.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '22, 11:20

cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 10:39 On other news, there's a battle of Los Angeles this weekend. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Well... Booking yourself the same weekemd as the Royal Rumble in a different city generally isn't a good way to get attention.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 12:01

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:20
cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 10:39 On other news, there's a battle of Los Angeles this weekend. Oh how the mighty have fallen.

Well... Booking yourself the same weekemd as the Royal Rumble in a different city generally isn't a good way to get attention.
Nah, it's not that, no one who would rave about BOLA in the last years would give a fuck about the Rumble, it's not like the Rumble is making any noise either, I only know it's this weekend because Mickie James won't shut up about it on Impact. It's the change of season and PWG losing soo much momentum since they left Reseda. I hate to say it, but PWG is not the cool place to be anymore, it may be GCW now, but that's definitely not a place I wanna be at.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 28th, '22, 13:13

cero2k wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 12:01
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 11:20

Nah, it's not that, no one who would rave about BOLA in the last years would give a fuck about the Rumble, it's not like the Rumble is making any noise either, I only know it's this weekend because Mickie James won't shut up about it on Impact. It's the change of season and PWG losing soo much momentum since they left Reseda. I hate to say it, but PWG is not the cool place to be anymore, it may be GCW now, but that's definitely not a place I wanna be at.
It's a news cycle thing. The Rumble is going to suck up all of the oxygen with it's surprises and returns and "the beginning of WrestleMania season."

PWG losing momentum isn't due to leaving Reseda. It's due to the indy boom. There is so much content out there and it's so easy for anyone to see anything, and when other people start doing the super-indy shtick, you need something more than good matches and a good atmosphere to stand out. While the "indy boom" (and BritWres (and OTT) boom, and Joshi and wXw becoming much easier to find) was great for a lot of indy and international promotions, the promotions who have suffered the most because of it have been ROH, TNA, PWG, EVOLVE, CZW, and CHIKARA. Your former big-name indies, who now have to share attention with everyone else.

GCW is definitely the cool place to be now. They've successfully merged the ideas of PWG and ECW into the new "hot thing." Good for them.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 28th, '22, 14:55

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 28th, '22, 13:13 PWG losing momentum isn't due to leaving Reseda. It's due to the indy boom. There is so much content out there and it's so easy for anyone to see anything, and when other people start doing the super-indy shtick, you need something more than good matches and a good atmosphere to stand out. While the "indy boom" (and BritWres (and OTT) boom, and Joshi and wXw becoming much easier to find) was great for a lot of indy and international promotions, the promotions who have suffered the most because of it have been ROH, TNA, PWG, EVOLVE, CZW, and CHIKARA. Your former big-name indies, who now have to share attention with everyone else.
I would even go and say that it's not just the availability of content, but the availability to book anyone in the US. Right now PWG is limited to booking the same people that all other indie promotions are booking, to the point that even if you're offering a first-time match-up like Gresham and Daniel Garcia, you already feel like that match probably happened in about 5 no-name indies already without VOD. Now you have a bunch of no name promotions booking freaking Suzuki or Moxley versus randos; or someone like Prestige, which i'm sorry, but they're kinda irrelevant, bringing in Maki Itoh. So it's hard for PWG to make me care about the 700th match involving Aramis, Flamita, and Rey Horus, or them bringing in Kevin Blackwood and Anthony Henry.

But i still watch the Globe Theater shows and i'm not pulled into wanting to be part of that scene anymore. Reseda felt different.