Viewership for AEW Dynamite takes significant hit over prior week

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
Big Red Machine

Viewership for AEW Dynamite takes significant hit over prior week

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 16th, '22, 18:46

https://www.pwtorch.com/site/2022/06/16 ... rior-week/

BY ZACK HEYDORN, PWTORCH ASSISTANT EDITOR

June 16, 2022
AEW Dynamite ratings drop over prior week

This week’s episode of AEW Dynamite took a significant hit in average viewership over prior week.

This week an average of 761,000 viewers tuned into the program, a steep drop from last week’s 939,000. The show competed with game one of the Stanley Cup Finals. All key demo ratings dropped over prior week as well, though it was the number two ranked show on cable with adults 18-49. 761,000 is a five-week low for the show.

In the main event, The Young Bucks won the AEW World Tag Team Championship from Jurassic Express in a ladder match. The show also was built around a major face to face between Jon Moxley and Hiroshi Tanahashi.

Other matches on the show included Toni Storm vs. Britt Baker, Will Ospreay vs. Dax Harwood, Miro vs. Ethan Page in the All-Atlantic Championship tournament, and more.

New IWGP World Heavyweight Champion, Jay White, also appeared on the show and took out former AEW World Champion, Adam Page. White then declared he would not be defending his championship against Page or Adam Cole at the Forbidden Door PPV event on June 26.

Forbidden Door airs live from the United Center in Chicago. Announced matches include Moxley vs. Tanahashi for the Interim AEW World Championship, Thunder Rosa vs. Toni Storm, and Will Ospreay vs. Orange Cassidy.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Thelone

Re: Viewership for AEW Dynamite takes significant hit over prior week

Post by Thelone » Jun 19th, '22, 16:23

Man, this Forbidden Door stuff sure is a channel game-changer alright.

I've always wondered how latching on to NJPW for years hurt ROH in the long run, which was almost impossible to quantify for television since ROH TV aired on 30.000 different channels during graveyard hours, but that drop there is about how I imagine it must have been.

Those joint shows tend to do well as far as live gates and maybe PPV buys go, and even that depends on who you're working with. ROH did some good business with NJPW sure, but I don't remember the ROH/CMLL shows doing great or anyone giving a shit about them really. The issue is that they're a nuisance when you're trying to have a coherent weekly show (and that's being generous with the Dub currently, but not the point here) because you have to put storylines on hold and allocate even less time for your regulars (hi MJF!) to introduce those random outsiders who will be gone as soon as the PPV is over.

True story : this is how I started to drift away from ROH back in 2015, because I didn't care to see Nooj guys over and over in meaningless """dream""" matches, so I started to skip the TV show more and more, pretty much lost track of anything happening and nothing ever brought me back.

Big Red Machine

Re: Viewership for AEW Dynamite takes significant hit over prior week

Post by Big Red Machine » Jun 19th, '22, 17:09

It's amazing to me that promoters haven't figured out that these interactions with these "special attraction" promotions don't help anything other the occasional live gate. You can bring in one or two guys for a specific thing and make it work, but when you're bringing in twelve guys for a month and half of them are my midcarders, you're just eating up your own TV time and derailing your own momentum,

When Gabe used guys from NOAH or Dragon Gate, they were either special attractions in for a short tour, or it was a guy he had on excursion, so he could tell a real story with him.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3