Former WWE referee Dave Hebner passes away at 73

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

Former WWE referee Dave Hebner passes away at 73

Post by cero2k » Jun 18th, '22, 07:58

Src: https://www.f4wonline.com/news/wwe/form ... away-at-73

Legendary pro wrestling referee Dave Hebner has passed away at 73 years old.

Hebner's death was confirmed on Friday in a tweet from his nephew Brian Hebner's Refin' It Up podcast. Hebner had been battling serious health issues in recent years, including dementia and Parkinson's disease.

"RIP Dave Hebner," the Refin' It Up podcast wrote. "Gone but never forgotten Always loved"

On May 28, former NASCAR driver Hermie Sadler posted a picture from a visit with Hebner and asked fans to join him in sending Hebner positive thoughts.

"I’ve said many times that friendships and relationships are very important to me," Sadler tweeted. "Took the time today to go visit Dave Hebner. The Hebner family is so special to my family. Join me in sending some positive vibes his way !!"

Dave was the identical twin brother of fellow referee Earl Hebner. The two were involved in one of the most famous angles of the 1980s when Andre the Giant defeated Hulk Hogan to win the WWF Championship on the February 5, 1988 edition of The Main Event. It initially appeared that Dave Hebner cheated to help Andre win the title, but it was revealed that Earl Hebner had been paid off by Ted DiBiase and was actually the referee for the match. Dave Hebner made his way out after the match was over to confront Earl.

The WWF Championship was later declared vacant due to Andre trying to give the title to DiBiase.

Due to undergoing knee replacement surgery, Hebner transitioned from a referee to an agent toward the end of his WWE career. Earl and Dave Hebner were released by WWE in 2005 after Earl was accused of selling WWE merchandise without permission.

Slam Wrestling reports that Dave Hebner died at around noon on Friday at his home in Mechanicsville, Virginia