ROH Death Before Dishonor does over 36,000 PPV buys

Everything that is happening in the wrestling world.
cero2k
Site Admin

ROH Death Before Dishonor does over 36,000 PPV buys

Post by cero2k » Jul 29th, '22, 22:42

src: https://www.f4wonline.com/news/ring-of- ... 0-ppv-buys

Last Saturday's Ring of Honor Death Before Dishonor pay-per-view brought in 36,100 buys, according to Dave Meltzer in this week's Wrestling Observer Newsletter.

Meltzer said 27,000 of the buys came from streaming while 9100 was via traditional cable providers.

The numbers are a big jump from April's Supercard of Honor's 19,200 buys (15,500 streaming/3700 traditional).

However, Meltzer noted that show was also available for HonorClub subscribers while last Saturday's event was not. It was also on a Saturday night against no big wrestling competition while the Supercard show was on a busy Friday night during WrestleMania weekend.

The show drew 3100 (2900 paid/200 comps)to the Tsongas Center in Lowell, Massachusetts -- the promotion's fourth-largest crowd in history.

Meltzer also had the following notes about the crossover with AEW PPV buyers:

Of the fans who purchased Supercard, nearly 39% (about 7400) also purchased March's Revolution.
Nearly 68% of Dishonor buyers (estimated at 24,300) also purchased AEW x NJPW Forbidden Door while 68% (24,600) also purchased AEW Double or Nothing.
Also from Meltzer:

"The digital buy number is important because the exclusive domestic distributor was Bleacher Report, a system owned by Discovery. So this show generated probably in excess of $400,000 for that system. The idea is that number would seem a positive in Khan’s attempt to make a deal with Discovery for a weekly television show based on the idea they can make money for Discovery doing multiple PPV shows a year along with the value of the programming itself."

Big Red Machine

Re: ROH Death Before Dishonor does over 36,000 PPV buys

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 30th, '22, 19:31

So would it have been better for ROH if they did well with the same people buying it as were buying AEW PPVs, or if it were different people?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 31st, '22, 19:53

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 30th, '22, 19:31 So would it have been better for ROH if they did well with the same people buying it as were buying AEW PPVs, or if it were different people?
Obviously both, but between the to options, I think that getting the AEW people is more important because they're technically new customers and people who followed the stories on AEW. Different people would have meant that they're ROH fans but don't follow AEW, which MAY be the case they had Honor Club, but are not exactly PPV buyers

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 31st, '22, 23:48

cero2k wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 19:53
Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 30th, '22, 19:31 So would it have been better for ROH if they did well with the same people buying it as were buying AEW PPVs, or if it were different people?
Obviously both, but between the to options, I think that getting the AEW people is more important because they're technically new customers and people who followed the stories on AEW. Different people would have meant that they're ROH fans but don't follow AEW, which MAY be the case they had Honor Club, but are not exactly PPV buyers
The show wasn't on Honor Club.

My thinking was actually the opposite: If there is a whole separate audience out there for ROH, it seems like it's worth putting more effort into ROH. If it's just AEW people, I don't see why it wouldn't be better for Tony to just fold ROH and put extra AEW PPVs in the ROH PPV slots.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Aug 1st, '22, 20:27

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 31st, '22, 23:48 The show wasn't on Honor Club.

My thinking was actually the opposite: If there is a whole separate audience out there for ROH, it seems like it's worth putting more effort into ROH. If it's just AEW people, I don't see why it wouldn't be better for Tony to just fold ROH and put extra AEW PPVs in the ROH PPV slots.
that's what I'm saying about Honor Club, I think lot of ROH fans may had been willing to pay for HC, but not PPV prices, so we may see a slow transition going forward.

I'm sure Khan understand that there is a ROH fanbase that needs to be sought after, he does have the Honor Club numbers at his disposal, he may even be able to make a diff between those who purchased DBD and who was already an HC member.