cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Post by cero2k » Apr 15th, '21, 19:28

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 16th, '21, 00:06

cero2k wrote: Apr 15th, '21, 19:28
That Western Canadian Connection is bearing more fruit.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 27th, '21, 15:45

CMLL is breaking ties with Ring Of Honor. This seems to be a reaction to a new promotion starting in Mexico called Federacion Wrestling, who is booking some ROH guys. CMLL continues to be a mess.

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Apr 27th, '21, 17:43

Eh, I guess ROH got Rush, Dragon Lee and Bandido out of that "partnership", but it always felt... hollow for lack of a better term?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 27th, '21, 17:54

Thelone wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 17:43 Eh, I guess ROH got Rush, Dragon Lee and Bandido out of that "partnership", but it always felt... hollow for lack of a better term?
Yeah. It felt like something they felt they had to do because of NJPW.
I don't know anything about this new promotion, but I'd be curious to see if the Munoz family is somehow involved, because as low key as the partnership has been, it doesn't seem worth it to break willy-nilly.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 27th, '21, 18:32

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 17:54
Thelone wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 17:43 Eh, I guess ROH got Rush, Dragon Lee and Bandido out of that "partnership", but it always felt... hollow for lack of a better term?
I don't know anything about this new promotion, but I'd be curious to see if the Munoz family is somehow involved, because as low key as the partnership has been, it doesn't seem worth it to break willy-nilly.
They seem to be and that's where the ROH connection probably started, RUSH and co. left CMLL in somewhat bad terms (I mean, everyone leaves CMLL in bad terms in CMLL's perspective), and now they work with ROH. Matt Taven has been announced for that promotion, but also Penta, Fenix, Bandido (who also just quit CMLL), and per LuchaBlog, Diamante Azul (who is a current CMLL champ I think) seems to be also jumping. CMLL is a mess since Paco Alonso passed away.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '21, 20:16

Omega = Money

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '21, 20:48

cero2k wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 20:16 Omega = Money

Not that Omega wasn't a big part of this this show, but I don't think it's quite as simple as just Omega. The whole hook for this show (and the build to it) was a lot better than BFG from what I understand. I'm also not certain that the buyrate would have been any different if it was Moxley or Jericho or Cody or even MJF in that spot.

Also, "8th biggest PPV since August" doesn't sound that great. I mean... what other PPVs have their been? 3 from AEW, 2 from ROH, and a few from TNA (surely not enough people to be relevant have been paying for WWE big shows on PPV rather than the Network at this point). I guess it could include UFC, too.

I'm curious to find out how it did relative to the AEW PPVs (I imagine it did a lot better than ROH has, although I also don't know how many people are ordering ROH on PPV instead of getting the PPVs free with their yearly Honor Club subscription, but my guess is that even they were, this TNA show would have done better than Final Battle).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '21, 20:53

cero2k wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 18:32
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 27th, '21, 17:54
They seem to be and that's where the ROH connection probably started, RUSH and co. left CMLL in somewhat bad terms (I mean, everyone leaves CMLL in bad terms in CMLL's perspective), and now they work with ROH. Matt Taven has been announced for that promotion, but also Penta, Fenix, Bandido (who also just quit CMLL), and per LuchaBlog, Diamante Azul (who is a current CMLL champ I think) seems to be also jumping. CMLL is a mess since Paco Alonso passed away.
Obviously no one is going to displace CMLL at any point in the next fifty years unless something catastrophic happens (I read somewhere that they only have to draw about 2,000 to Arena Mexico to break even because they get all of the gate, concessions, and parking money as opposed to just merch and their share of the gate), but if this promotion has six of the country's bigger stars (plus possibly even a returning La Sombra) they could easily be a new major player, right (especially with the sh*t-show the other two have been)?

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '21, 23:13

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 20:48
Not that Omega wasn't a big part of this this show, but I don't think it's quite as simple as just Omega. The whole hook for this show (and the build to it) was a lot better than BFG from what I understand. I'm also not certain that the buyrate would have been any different if it was Moxley or Jericho or Cody or even MJF in that spot.

Also, "8th biggest PPV since August" doesn't sound that great. I mean... what other PPVs have their been? 3 from AEW, 2 from ROH, and a few from TNA (surely not enough people to be relevant have been paying for WWE big shows on PPV rather than the Network at this point). I guess it could include UFC, too.

I'm curious to find out how it did relative to the AEW PPVs (I imagine it did a lot better than ROH has, although I also don't know how many people are ordering ROH on PPV instead of getting the PPVs free with their yearly Honor Club subscription, but my guess is that even they were, this TNA show would have done better than Final Battle).
Yes, obviously it's not Omega by himself, it's the whole idea of a title vs title and Omega's storyline, but not everyone could pull it off I think, it's not like Mox is doing big sells for Bloodsport for instance, nor will Mox vs Gage.

depends what service he's talking about, but that can include wrestling, mma, box, and other stuff. Box does a lot of buys, Jake Paul v Askrem falls under these dates and that made 1M+. UFC had Khabib v Gaethje, Adesanya v Costa, and I think Miocic v Cormier 3, all big sellers.

I don't think the number will be bigger than AEW or UFC or box, but it's still a huge number for Impact. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they beat ROH numbers, ROH is making zero noise now a days.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 29th, '21, 01:00

cero2k wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 23:13
Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 20:48

Yes, obviously it's not Omega by himself, it's the whole idea of a title vs title and Omega's storyline, but not everyone could pull it off I think, it's not like Mox is doing big sells for Bloodsport for instance, nor will Mox vs Gage.
Bloodsport doesn't have TV.
I'm not trying to diss Kenny. I'm just saying that I wouldn't necessarily attribute this to Kenny so much as to the angle (hence when I'd like a comparison with AEW, and of various AEW PPVs where Kenny wasn't on top, to the most recent one, where he was... although even with that I think there was a curiosity factor about the explosion match).
cero2k wrote: Apr 28th, '21, 23:13 I don't think the number will be bigger than AEW or UFC or box, but it's still a huge number for Impact. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if they beat ROH numbers, ROH is making zero noise now a days.
I think it'd be a big disappointment if they didn't beat ROH (and if it turns out that they didn't because ROH has actually been doing great numbers then that's a big miss on the wrestling media's part to not have piked up on that).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 30th, '21, 16:46

Federacion Wrestling, or as I like to call it ROHvsAEW: The Promotion

Thelone

Post by Thelone » Apr 30th, '21, 17:47

Ah yes, good ol' Rey Fexix.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '21, 19:07

Thelone wrote: Apr 30th, '21, 17:47 Ah yes, good ol' Rey Fexix.
He had some classic matches against Kenny Omoga.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 1st, '21, 20:00

Impact really liking the idea of these title vs title matches. If Purrazzo loses and ELP wins the X Division title, all Impact titles will be held by other promotions

(Deonna has won the title, but she made the challenge to Faby Apache)

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 1st, '21, 21:15

cero2k wrote: May 1st, '21, 20:00 Impact really liking the idea of these title vs title matches. If Purrazzo loses and ELP wins the X Division title, all Impact titles will be held by other promotions

(Deonna has won the title, but she made the challenge to Faby Apache)

Typical WWE... um... I mean TNA, going overboard with something just because it worked once under special circumstances.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 1st, '21, 21:51

Big Red Machine wrote: May 1st, '21, 21:15
Typical WWE... um... I mean TNA, going overboard with something just because it worked once under special circumstances.
I mean, you're right, but they started before the Omega match. They've done segments with people expressing concern about the titles leaving the promotion a few months ago when FinJuice won the tag titles, and D'Amore kinda being like "yeah yeah i know". That's why I'm wondering if it's a plan to move all the titles out of Impact by Slammiversary or BFG. If anything else, Impact may be trying to have a PPV with people from all over the world.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 2nd, '21, 09:43

cero2k wrote: May 1st, '21, 21:51
Big Red Machine wrote: May 1st, '21, 21:15
I mean, you're right, but they started before the Omega match. They've done segments with people expressing concern about the titles leaving the promotion a few months ago when FinJuice won the tag titles, and D'Amore kinda being like "yeah yeah i know". That's why I'm wondering if it's a plan to move all the titles out of Impact by Slammiversary or BFG. If anything else, Impact may be trying to have a PPV with people from all over the world.
Having the company lose all the belts to set up them trying to win them back at the PPV feels a little silly with no real threat to the company if they don't have them. I think the latter option makes more sense. But either way, good to hear that this seems to be something they set up rather than something thrown together as a knee-jerk reaction to one thing that worked.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '21, 11:47