Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Tell it to the world!!
Bob-O

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by Bob-O » Dec 31st, '19, 13:33

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 30th, '19, 18:55 everyone other than SCU, Jericho, Cody, MJF, Moxley, Dark Order, Brandi, Darby, and maybe Lucha Bros.
I feel like if Kenny had received the same attention/protection/direction as Cody they'd be in a better spot right now and nobody would be the worse.

Big Red Machine

Re: Let's have fun with this. Complete this sentence. "I may be the only person in the world who thinks this but..."

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 31st, '19, 13:39

Bob-O wrote: Dec 31st, '19, 13:33
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 30th, '19, 18:55 everyone other than SCU, Jericho, Cody, MJF, Moxley, Dark Order, Brandi, Darby, and maybe Lucha Bros.
I feel like if Kenny had received the same attention/protection/direction as Cody they'd be in a better spot right now and nobody would be the worse.
That's what I'm saying. The attention paid to Best Friends/Private Party/Joey Janela/Britt Baker, DMD/Jimmy Havoc would have been much better spent on Kenny or the Bucks or LAX, making their stories feel important.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 5th, '20, 14:58

I've seen this image floating around quite a bit today. It's a snapshot, much like the one of Rollins being left out of the Kliq's circle jerk on the Raw Reunion Show, and might not be fair to judge a situation off of a single frame of time.

I love Chris, and I'm loving his character in AEW...

...but it's an awful look for AEW. That's the hot new company's world champion up there representing his brand internationally in The Tokyo Dome... lookin' like an overweight piece of shit. Moxley on the same show killing it without a single mention of AEW (unless I missed it).

The above image is not the one I'd want associated with my hot new company... just sayin'.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '20, 15:59

Bob-O wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 14:58 Image

I've seen this image floating around quite a bit today. It's a snapshot, much like the one of Rollins being left out of the Kliq's circle jerk on the Raw Reunion Show, and might not be fair to judge a situation off of a single frame of time.

...but it's an awful look for AEW. That's the hot new company's world champion up there representing his brand internationally in The Tokyo Dome... lookin' like an overweight piece of shit. Moxley on the same show killing it without a single mention of AEW (unless I missed it).

The above image is not the one I'd want associated with my hot new company... just sayin'.
You've been brainwashed by McMahon for many years to only care for muscles and pretty faces, but Jericho just made Tana-Freaking-hashi tap out in the middle of the ring in NJPW's biggest show of the year. physique is meaningless when you can beat the shit out of the Ace himself.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jan 5th, '20, 16:00

Gonna play this game too. WOOOing chops needs to be retired, it's ran it's course, it sounds as stupid as WHAT!?

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '20, 17:44

cero2k wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 16:00 Gonna play this game too. WOOOing chops needs to be retired, it's ran it's course, it sounds as stupid as WHAT!?
Eh. There are a lot more fan chants that I think need to go before we get to WOOOing.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 5th, '20, 17:58

cero2k wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 15:59 You've been brainwashed by McMahon for many years to only care for muscles and pretty faces, but Jericho just made Tana-Freaking-hashi tap out in the middle of the ring in NJPW's biggest show of the year. physique is meaningless when you can beat the shit out of the Ace himself.
I'm not though! I'll take Joe or Owens... I'm cool with Kieth Lee, Evil Uno... hell, if they threw the belt on Marko Stunt his size would be one of my LAST criticisms! Physique is nothing, but in his position having a little pride in his image shouldn't be too much to ask. You don't have to be fit or beautiful (two things he's more than capable of) to not come off as a slob.

He's proven time and time again that he can still go, but good god man... he's representing a new company with a lockerroom full of young guys counting on this... face or heel, SHOW some pride. It'd be awesome if EVERYONE was talking about him tapping out Ace instead of his hairline and his muffin top... but that's the story, the perception, and the reality.
cero2k wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 16:00 Gonna play this game too. WOOOing chops needs to be retired, it's ran it's course, it sounds as stupid as WHAT!?
1000% agree.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 5th, '20, 19:55

cero2k wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 15:59

You've been brainwashed by McMahon for many years to only care for muscles and pretty faces, but Jericho just made Tana-Freaking-hashi tap out in the middle of the ring in NJPW's biggest show of the year. physique is meaningless when you can beat the shit out of the Ace himself.
This.

And it's one bad angle picture. Jericho might not be cut, but it's not like he looks terrible (aside from this one bad photo), either.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 6th, '20, 14:02

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 19:55
cero2k wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 15:59

This.

And it's one bad angle picture. Jericho might not be cut, but it's not like he looks terrible (aside from this one bad photo), either.
the guy has also been wrestling for almost as long as ive been alive, he might be reaching the logical conclusion of his career. It's not fair to judge him based on physiques of much younger men either.

He looks like a normal dude for his age. In WWE thats a bad thing sure, but there's nothing wrong with it.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 7th, '20, 08:19

It's the facepaint,with the hair, and that body. You take the paint out of it and he looks appropriately "middle aged and crazy". In paint he looks like he's trying very hard to be indy.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 7th, '20, 11:42

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 19:55 This.

It's not this one photo, though. I've been bitching about this since his cruise last year.
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 6th, '20, 14:02 the guy has also been wrestling for almost as long as ive been alive, he might be reaching the logical conclusion of his career. It's not fair to judge him based on physiques of much younger men either.
I'm not. I'm judging him based on looking like he doesn't care about himself. You're right, it'd be silly to compare Jericho to guys of a similar ~frame~... it's not realistic for him to look like Finn or Andrade. My issue is when I see guys like Undertaker, Kane, Shawn Micheals, Ric Flair, Terry Funk... guys that aged (Looking at you R Truth), guys that are clearly not their former selves anymore, they might even look "bad" but they all still look like they're trying to look the part. Nobody's stupid, but I really appreciate that Nash and Taker dye their hair before appearances.

Rey Mysterio is a GREAT example of a guy that got older, he's rockin' gut these days, but he doesn't LOOK bad. That's all I'm asking of Jericho... throw on a singlet, go up a size in pants, something... you're the AEW World Heavyweight Champion, show a little pride man.

I very much enjoy Jericho, don't get me wrong! I love every aspect of his 2019, but the business man in me becomes very frustrated to see him representing the AEW brand, that entire lockerroom of young talent, looking like a slob and not even trying.
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 7th, '20, 08:19 It's the facepaint,with the hair, and that body. You take the paint out of it and he looks appropriately "middle aged and crazy". In paint he looks like he's trying very hard to be indy.
He looks like the guy that goes to the bowling alley to play pinball.

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 7th, '20, 14:23

Bob-O wrote: Jan 7th, '20, 11:42
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 7th, '20, 08:19 It's the facepaint,with the hair, and that body. You take the paint out of it and he looks appropriately "middle aged and crazy". In paint he looks like he's trying very hard to be indy.

OMG that put "Back to the Future II villain" in my head and it's terrifying how well that fits.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 7th, '20, 18:26

Bob-O wrote: Jan 7th, '20, 11:42
Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 5th, '20, 19:55 This.

It's not this one photo, though. I've been bitching about this since his cruise last year.
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 6th, '20, 14:02 the guy has also been wrestling for almost as long as ive been alive, he might be reaching the logical conclusion of his career. It's not fair to judge him based on physiques of much younger men either.
I'm not. I'm judging him based on looking like he doesn't care about himself. You're right, it'd be silly to compare Jericho to guys of a similar ~frame~... it's not realistic for him to look like Finn or Andrade. My issue is when I see guys like Undertaker, Kane, Shawn Micheals, Ric Flair, Terry Funk... guys that aged (Looking at you R Truth), guys that are clearly not their former selves anymore, they might even look "bad" but they all still look like they're trying to look the part. Nobody's stupid, but I really appreciate that Nash and Taker dye their hair before appearances.

Rey Mysterio is a GREAT example of a guy that got older, he's rockin' gut these days, but he doesn't LOOK bad. That's all I'm asking of Jericho... throw on a singlet, go up a size in pants, something... you're the AEW World Heavyweight Champion, show a little pride man.

I very much enjoy Jericho, don't get me wrong! I love every aspect of his 2019, but the business man in me becomes very frustrated to see him representing the AEW brand, that entire lockerroom of young talent, looking like a slob and not even trying.
All of that is fair except the part about R-Truth.

Guy is clearly a vampire.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 8th, '20, 08:35

Serujuunin wrote: Jan 7th, '20, 18:26 All of that is fair except the part about R-Truth.

Guy is clearly a vampire.
That was the joke lol. The man has clearly found a fountain the preserves his youthfulness... there's a name for it but I can't put my finger on it. But 20 years has gone by between these photos...

Add to that, Dustin Runnels aged, got fat and lazy looking, starts hanging out with R Truth and reverses the clock. Boom! Best shape of his life, best work he'd done in years...

DDP's got NOTHING on R-Truth and his Youthful Fountain or whatever.

It's crazy to think, a guy as talented as him, as OVER as him, and as committed as him only got one chance at a main event run in wwe and has been relegated to hyuk hyuk's for 20 years (aside from the TNA run).

Edit: Forgot all about his prison time. Probably plays into his spot...

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jan 8th, '20, 08:56

Bob-O wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 08:35

It's crazy to think, a guy as talented as him, as OVER as him, and as committed as him only got one chance at a main event run in wwe and has been relegated to hyuk hyuk's for 20 years (aside from the TNA run).

Probably the reason why he's lasted so long is because he got relegated to comedy. I'm sure running around and getting rolled up for the 24/7 championship is easier on the body than bumping in a 10 minute match.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 8th, '20, 09:13

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 08:56

Probably the reason why he's lasted so long is because he got relegated to comedy. I'm sure running around and getting rolled up for the 24/7 championship is easier on the body than bumping in a 10 minute match.
This.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 8th, '20, 11:40

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 08:56 Probably the reason why he's lasted so long is because he got relegated to comedy. I'm sure running around and getting rolled up for the 24/7 championship is easier on the body than bumping in a 10 minute match
Never considered that, but you're spot on.

Still though... and maybe it's a segway into another "I might be the only one in the world that thinks this..."

But, for as good as the Kofi story/moment was last year, I can think of several people who would have been better for it. R-Truth is pretty high up on that list. Kofi's great, not saying they made a bad call, but he lacks presence without New Day and his promos bore me. There's several guys on that payroll that have been there for ages and are arguably total packages that just need that kind of chance.

Talk about making "new stars". They could have had a mainstay had they gone a different direction.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jan 8th, '20, 20:40

Bob-O wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 11:40
NWK2000 wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 08:56 Probably the reason why he's lasted so long is because he got relegated to comedy. I'm sure running around and getting rolled up for the 24/7 championship is easier on the body than bumping in a 10 minute match
Never considered that, but you're spot on.

Still though... and maybe it's a segway into another "I might be the only one in the world that thinks this..."

But, for as good as the Kofi story/moment was last year, I can think of several people who would have been better for it. R-Truth is pretty high up on that list. Kofi's great, not saying they made a bad call, but he lacks presence without New Day and his promos bore me. There's several guys on that payroll that have been there for ages and are arguably total packages that just need that kind of chance.

Talk about making "new stars". They could have had a mainstay had they gone a different direction.
You're not wrong that there are others who could have filled the spot and arguably better, but the fans didn't get behind them. The fans wound up getting behind Kofi, and that's what matters.

That being said, I think there is one key difference between Kofi and a lot of the other guys in a similar spot that you're overlooking, and that's that Kofi has never had a real brush with the title picture, and thus doesn't have the stench of failure on him that some of the others (Dolph... and whoever else you're talking about).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 9th, '20, 11:13

NWK2000 wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 08:56

He’s at a lot of live events though. The man does a lot of ring work, just none of it on TV.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Jan 10th, '20, 21:11

Big Red Machine wrote: Jan 8th, '20, 20:40 The fans wound up getting behind Kofi, and that's what matters.
That's what mattered at the time. But nobody's talking now, and that's the problem. People were pissed about how lost the title, but everyone that doubted Kofi for all those years was proven right in the aftermath. "They just pretended like it never happened!"... yup. They sure did, and everyone that was clammoring for the underdog story fell into place and started acting like it never happened. He's just not fit to be "the guy", and that's why Daniel Bryan is feuding with The Fiend and Kofi isn't.

I don't think people would have gave up so easily on R-Truth in the same scenario. I think they'd have a huge star!
Opinions are like assholes, but I think Big E, Heath Slater, or Sami could have turned that angle into staying power... Kofi's a good hand, but he also carries the curse of being so forgettable. Great moment for him though, I was happy for for him.
Serujuunin wrote: Jan 9th, '20, 11:13 He’s at a lot of live events though. The man does a lot of ring work, just none of it on TV.
Fair to consider his moveset too. Lots of comedy, kicks, easy bumps... I don't think he does anything off the ropes or ass down... he's definitely taken care of himself while staying as athletic as possible.