NWK Reviews RF Video presents Jim Cornette Vol 1

Tell it to the world!!
NWK2000

NWK Reviews RF Video presents Jim Cornette Vol 1

Post by NWK2000 » Dec 16th, '19, 01:03

This is the El Dorado of shoots. The one where the Cornette face began, the one where Jim publicly bashes Russo for the first time. And it's also a distillation of every Jim Cornette shoot you've ever heard, in a beautiful sequential order, without the burying of modern wrestling for clicks! But Cult of Cornette members, have no fear! For this is also a distillation of Jim Cornette the man. Cornette is the most off the cuff and honest he's ever been here. He speaks on a lot of friends that don't get a lot of podcast time on the Jim Cornette experience (Jimmy Hart, Adrian Street). He goes into the things that shaped his career (learning into organize in Mid-South, the rise and fall of the Von Erich's, the insanity of Detroit wrestling pre-Big Time and how it effected the area after) and the formation of the RnR Express, and reviewing the RnR express music videos in hindsight ("THEY'RE GAY AS SHIT").

We go to the Crockett years, where we talk about his big angles, and then flies out on a tangent of the importance of RnR vs Midnight, the merits of comedy spots in wrestling (!!) and basically gives an abridged version of Cornette's Timeline WCW series.

Second disc, we randomly get into heat with Paul, then random "what are your thoughts on 'x'?" that plague RF Video shoots, then back to the Road Warriors, then back to Jim Herd, which leads to more abridged Timeline of WCW two-parters. He has some weirdly nice things to say about McMahon, which makes sense as he's still working with WWF and JR as Talent Relations, and Bill Watts, and waxes philosophical on working with promoters to trade talent.

We then get two gems right in a row, the time he wiped a booger on Eric Bischoff's car, and his legendary rant on Vince Russo. AND WE GET THE CORNETTE FACE! Corny also waxes philosophical about working your own territory as opposed to trying to go national, and how the television station/wrestling promotion relationship, slowing down and having fun, the demerits of hardcore wrestling, the Fake Outsiders, and his wrestling memorbilia room and his love for the business to close us out.

If ever you wanted to see what Jim Cornette was all about, before he started making money off of shitting on modern wrestling, and at his most joyous, get this shoot. The fact that Corny has been saying the same thing for nearly 20 years now shows how truthful of a shoot promo he is.

A+
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

Big Red Machine

Re: NWK Reviews RF Video presents Jim Cornette Vol 1

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 16th, '19, 08:14

I'll echo everything you say other than the dislike of "what are your thoughts on X?" questions.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Dec 16th, '19, 10:21

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 16th, '19, 08:14 I'll echo everything you say other than the dislike of "what are your thoughts on X?" questions.
I typically don't mind them, but they just felt out of place with Cornette, who you could just plop a camera in front of and get a career retrospective.

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 16th, '19, 10:57

NWK2000 wrote: Dec 16th, '19, 10:21
Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 16th, '19, 08:14 I'll echo everything you say other than the dislike of "what are your thoughts on X?" questions.
I typically don't mind them, but they just felt out of place with Cornette, who you could just plop a camera in front of and get a career retrospective.
He booked a lot of places. I find his thoughts on various people to be worth asking about.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 17th, '19, 11:05

NWK2000 wrote: Dec 16th, '19, 01:03 If ever you wanted to see what Jim Cornette was all about, before he started making money off of shitting on modern wrestling, and at his most joyous, get this shoot. The fact that Corny has been saying the same thing for nearly 20 years now shows how truthful of a shoot promo he is.
I've always enjoyed Cornette. I think he gets a bad rep for "shitting on modern wrestling", I think quotes about the stuff he doesn't like get spread around for clicks, likes, and upvotes; but I find he likes plenty about today's product but nobody cares about that, it's not what he's "supposed to do". I love his podcast!

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Dec 17th, '19, 11:15

Bob-O wrote: Dec 17th, '19, 11:05
NWK2000 wrote: Dec 16th, '19, 01:03 If ever you wanted to see what Jim Cornette was all about, before he started making money off of shitting on modern wrestling, and at his most joyous, get this shoot. The fact that Corny has been saying the same thing for nearly 20 years now shows how truthful of a shoot promo he is.
I've always enjoyed Cornette. I think he gets a bad rep for "shitting on modern wrestling", I think quotes about the stuff he doesn't like get spread around for clicks, likes, and upvotes; but I find he likes plenty about today's product but nobody cares about that, it's not what he's "supposed to do". I love his podcast!
The reason why I brought it up was because it's the one thing I can't stand about him. He'll tell you that the Midnight Express sold out Greensboro, dates and times, but he'll never admit the drawing power of Kenny Omega or The Young Bucks. And yeah it doesn't help he's cultivated an army of unthinking drones that spread that around, and that generates him clicks+money. I think a mind as wise as Corny's is wasted on such biases.

Bob-O

Post by Bob-O » Dec 17th, '19, 16:25

NWK2000 wrote: Dec 17th, '19, 11:15 He'll tell you that the Midnight Express sold out Greensboro, dates and times, but he'll never admit the drawing power of Kenny Omega or The Young Bucks.
I've heard him acknowledge these things, but I think - especially now that it's kind of a ~thing~ with everyone - Corny would never give them credit for drawing power because he doesn't want people confusing that with affection. A lot of his bullshit that gets passed around anymore I think is his version of keeping kayfabe. Keeping true to a theme, especially one that's "over" in the eyes of his audience. You can't take the Carny out of the Corny...

I laughed my ass off listening to him talk about resigning/being fired from NWA Powerrr...

"Meltzer is saying this might be career ending for me. What 'career', Dave!? Do you think the FAVORS I was doing for Court and Billy are what's keeping me off the streets!? Last I checked I haven't done shit in the industry for years, you'd think somebody that watches as much wrestling as he does would know that..."