A Wrestling Revolution 2019 Retrospective

Tell it to the world!!
cero2k
Site Admin

A Wrestling Revolution 2019 Retrospective

Post by cero2k » Dec 26th, '19, 16:22

I started playing around with our database, looking at some stats from our community's reviews throughout the year. The way we store our reviews means that we can't just pick-out the actual grade of a show without doing some intrinsic and advanced SQL Query, but for the most part, there is a lot we can come up with.

Furthermore, I can't unfortunately quantify real time reviews, like I can't really count our total reviews this year counting both 2019 + Pre-2019 shows. Maybe something worth considering adding to our reviews later, but right now, we don't have timestamps on our reviews.

Disclosure: I'm doing this on December 26, I haven't added the last EVOLVE/NEW shows that Red wrote. Furthermore, only reviews counted, if at one point someone said, OMG Corbin vs Reigns was a 10/10, but not in a review, it didn't count. Hint hint, write a review haha!

For reference, per today, our database has 2443 reviews, of shows, Lucha Underground episodes, and DVD reviews. This is not counting the RAW/Smackdown/Dynamte/Impact/Freedom's Road/POWERRR/et al reviews that happen on a weekly basis that don't get added to the main site.

First, I wanna do a quick rundown of our 2019 numbers.

In total, from the shows that took place from Jan 1st 2019 until today, we reviewed 315 shows between 4 people.

- BRM: 199
- Cero: 107
- DHRainmaker: 2
- NWK: 7

18 promotions were covered in those 315 reviews. This are all shows that took place during 2019, which makes promotions like NWA or AJPW interesting.

DVDs - 1
Impact - 12
WWE - 15
ROH - 31 (Pretty strong all things considered)
AAA - 1
CHIKARA - 1
PWG - 1 (Oh how the mighty have fallen)
NWA - 2
NJPW - 134 (The land of the tournament)
EVOLVE - 20
AJPW - 20 (Arguably a newcomer to the site)
NXT - 5
STARDOM - 1
WWN - 1
RevPro - 18
PROGRESS - 4
wXw - 33
GCW - 3
NXT:UK - 2
AEW - 10 (AEW was the promotion with the most people reviewing the same shows, at least on a reviews per show ratio)

AEW's ALL OUT, Double or Nothing, and NJPW's Wrestle Kingdom 13 and G1 Supercard were the shows that had the most people reviewing them with 3 different reviewers each.

The rough approximation of total reviews we wrote both 2019 and pre is 396 reviews.

We had 20 10/10 Matches between all of us.

BRM - 9
NXT Takeover Phoenix
NXT NORTH AMERICAN TITLE MATCH - Ricochet(c) vs. Johnny Gargano - a PERFECT 10/10!

WWE Elimination Chamber 2019
ELIMINATION CHAMBER MATCH FOR THE WWE WORLD HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE - Daniel Bryan(c) vs. AJ Styles vs. Randy Orton vs. Samoa Joe vs. Jeff Hardy vs. Kofi Kingston - a PERFECT 10/10!

NXT Takeover New York
WWE UK TITLE MATCH - Pete Dunne(c) vs. WALTER - a PERFECT 10/10!

RevPro Epic Encounter 2019
LADDER MATCH FOR THE RPW UNDISPUTED BRITISH CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE - David Starr(c) vs. El Phantasmo - a PERFECT 10/10!

NXT Takeover XXV
LADDER MATCH FOR THE VACANT NXT TAG TEAM TITLES - Undisputed Era (Bobby Fish & Kyle O'Reilly) vs. Street Profits vs. Danny Burch & Oney Lorcan vs. Forgotten Sons (Steve Cutler & Wesley Blake) - a PERFECT 10/10!

NXT Takeover XXV
NXT TITLE MATCH - Johnny Gargano(c) vs. Adam Cole - a PERFECT 10/10!

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI: Final Day
BEST OF THE SUPER JUNIORS FINALS - Shingo Takagi vs. Will Ospreay - a PERFECT 10/10!

ROH Manhattan Mayhem 2019
STREET FIGHT FOR THE ROH WORLD TAG TEAM TITLES - Guerrillas of Destiny(c) vs. the Briscoes - A PERFECT 10/10!

NJPW G1 Climax 29: Day 7
BLOCK A MATCH - Will Ospreay vs. Kazuchika Okada - a PERFECT 10/10!

Cero - 7
NJPW Wrestle Kingdom 13
IWGP World Heavyweight Championship Match - "Ace" Hiroshi Tanahashi vs "Best Bout Machine" Kenny Omega (C) - 10/10

NJPW 47th Anniversary Show
Non-title Match - IWGP World Heavyweight Champion "Switchblade" Jay White vs NEVER Openweight Champion Will Ospreay - 10/10

GCW Orange Cassidy Is Doing Something Or Whatever, Who Knows
Singles Match with a 60 Second Time Limit - Trent? vs Chuck Taylor - 1/10? 10/10?

NJPW Best of the Super Juniors XXVI Finals
Best of the Super Junior 26 Final - Block A Winner Shingo Takagi vs Block B Winner Will Ospreay - 10/10!

NJPW G1 Climax 29, 7.20
G1 Climax 2019 Block A Match - Kazuchika Okada [6] vs. Will Ospreay [2] - 10/10

NJPW G1 Climax 29, 8.3
G1 Climax 2019 Block A Match - Kazuchika Okada [12] vs. SANADA [4] - 10/10

NJPW G1 Climax 29, 8.8
G1 Climax 2019 Block B Match - Shingo Takagi [4] vs. Tomohiro Ishii [8] - 10/10!

NWK - 4
AEW Double or Nothing
Chris Jericho vs Kenny Omega - 10/10

WWE Summerslam
Finn Balor vs "The Fiend" Bray Wyatt - 10/10

NJPW Super J Cup 2019 Day 1
Super J Cup 2019 Round 1 Match - Amazing Red vs Will Ospreay - 10/10

AEW ALL OUT
AAA Tag Team Championship Escalera de la Muerte Match - Lucha Bros vs Young Bucks - 10/10

NXT Takeover XXV was the show with the most 10/10 matches (per BRM), but NJPW had the most consensus on 10/10's with Shingo vs Ospreay and Okada vs Ospreay.

The top wrestler per the ratings was Will Ospreay with 6 10/10 matches, trailed by Shingo Takagi's 3, and Kazuchika Okada's 3.

In addition, we had 8 matches rated at 9.75/10, and 38 at 9.5/10. In the other hand, there is approximately 109 shows that had at least one 'DUD', and I only counted 3 matches with negative ratings, and I find it unnecessary to say who rated those.

OVERALL THOUGHTS
None, BRM really likes NXT and I really like NJPW I guess. Everything aside, we're coming close for this site being a decade old if we count the 'history' we have together. I could never imagine that a discussion board would lead us to becoming a huge site for wrestling reviews. Thank you Red and NWK for writing all the stuff you write, hopefully we get more people writing in 2020.

On a final note, if anyone has a special question about the reviews analyzed, let us know and maybe we can come up with the data.

Big Red Machine

Re: A Wrestling Revolution 2019 Retrospective

Post by Big Red Machine » Dec 26th, '19, 18:05

Unless I'm mistaken, this is just reviews of 2019 shows, not retros, right?

Also, do the total number of reviews include TV shows or not?
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Dec 26th, '19, 18:24

Big Red Machine wrote: Dec 26th, '19, 18:05 Unless I'm mistaken, this is just reviews of 2019 shows, not retros, right?
yes, only 2019. We don't have timestamps for retro shows, but I may be able to calculate them with more time

Also, do the total number of reviews include TV shows or not?
no TV unless it was something like LU that made it into the main site

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jan 2nd, '20, 20:11

Hey, I think I did like two reviews this year! -is offended-

For real though, that's amazing. I wish I had as much dedication as you guys do lol.

And Gargano v Ricochet is still the best match ever, don't @ me.