Some wrestling thoughts I’ve had lately I needed to share

Tell it to the world!!
Earth Child

Some wrestling thoughts I’ve had lately I needed to share

Post by Earth Child » May 13th, '21, 07:19

Hi everyone,

Just to give a bit of background, during COVID I pretty much stopped watching wrestling full stop. It was so hard for me without a live crowd there, even as a viewer at home. I just wasn’t as excited about it and it was hard to maintain interest. I had a lot of stuff to fill that void: I work in hospital admin (very lucky we weren’t hit so badly) and I purchased my first apartment (which is still under going renovations)

Since Sydney was in such a good state, local wrestling companies started putting shows back on from December last year. And I didn’t realise how much I missed it. I go to two promotions regularly: FWA which gets about 30 fans a show and is held at an RSL (not sure the equivalent overseas) and PWA, this biggest promotion in Sydney and the home of Robbie Eagles, Madison Eagles. Rhea Ripley, Billy Kay, Jonah Rock are also alumni

At PWA’s first Black Label show there was an amazing tag match between the returning Aussie Open (also alumni of PWA, just not as a team. I think it was just about their first time wrestling as Aussie Open on Australian soil!) and The team of Ricky South and Matty Wahlberg. During the show I was blown away with how good it was, so much so I went and purchased a Dunkzilla T-shirt afterwards and had a chat with Mark Davis. So when I saw PWA uploaded it as a feee match on their YouTube I didn’t hesitate to go and rewatch it.
But I found the match wasn’t as mind blowing as I remembered it live. After speaking with the friend I go with to these shows, I have come to the conclusion that watching wrestling live will automatically make it twice as fun. And it goes back to the crowd thing. There is so much energy in the crowd and being one the first shows after such a long hiatus it was off the charts.
I wanted to know your thoughts on matches you may have seen live then went back and watched on tv or similar? Did you have the same experience of not being as impressed?

If you are interested here is the link to the match:

phpBB [video]

(I hope that worked!)

Secondly: I think I have found that match when asked for an example of an excellent 10/10 grade A bloody amazing wrestling.

The latest PWA show had the main event of Aussie Open v The Velocities and it was 40 minutes of the best tag wrestling I’ve ever seen. If you have FITE I sooooooo recommend the $10 for this show. It was literally called “PWA: Aussie Open v Velocities” if you are keen. It was so good the next morning I purchased it off FITE so I could watch it again.
If you want a little taste, go to PWA’s Twitter and see some of the gifs people have posted. I believe it was even mentioned in the WOR today.
There was only one negative and that was Paris De Silva getting knocked out cold right at the finish from a kick to the face. It was scary to watch. But he was ok after, I heard from my friend who is in on all the backstage news.
Both teams were loved and it was awesome to be part of the dueling chants. Most of the time I felt like Mauro with his line “THERE ARE NO WORDS!!!”
If you do go and watch it, I’d love to know what you thought!

anyway, that’s it from me. Thanks for reading :)

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Some wrestling thoughts I’ve had lately I needed to share

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '21, 11:06

Thank you! I've been hearing a LOT of hype for this match.

Happy to see you're doing good, buying apartments like a boss!

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '21, 14:28

Glad to hear you've found some wrestling that you're enjoying! That feels pretty rare nowadays.

The phenomenon you describe is relatively common. I think it's a combination of several things. As you say, the crowd is definitely a big part of it, but I also think that there is just something about being there live. I had been watching wrestling for years before going to my first show, and I remember being surprised by how loud things like clotheslines were when the contact was made. Or things like the sound the ring makes when someone bumps. That rarely gets picked up on the TV.

I will say that if you factor the crowd out of it (or the crowd is hot enough for it to really come across well on tape), the shows I have been to where I haven't had floor seats have held up pretty well (or, in some cases, better, as I didn't have to hear some idiots start chanting "WE WANT TABLES!" at Mustafa Ali and KENTA a minute into their Falls Count Anywhere match, and just moments after they had done a pure genius spot to emphasize the stipulation).

Will try to watch this match at some point next week.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » May 13th, '21, 18:03

cero2k wrote: May 13th, '21, 11:06 Thank you! I've been hearing a LOT of hype for this match.

Happy to see you're doing good, buying apartments like a boss!
Good to hear the Hype has spread! The match so deserves it.
Thanks!
Big Red Machine wrote: May 13th, '21, 14:28 The phenomenon you describe is relatively common. I think it's a combination of several things. As you say, the crowd is definitely a big part of it, but I also think that there is just something about being there live. I had been watching wrestling for years before going to my first show, and I remember being surprised by how loud things like clotheslines were when the contact was made. Or things like the sound the ring makes when someone bumps. That rarely gets picked up on the TV.
That is totally true! I forgot to mention that chops and such are so loud live! There was one recently that felt like it split my ears. Wouldn't want to be on the receiving end of one of those.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '21, 20:11

Earth Child wrote: May 13th, '21, 07:19
But I found the match wasn’t as mind blowing as I remembered it live. After speaking with the friend I go with to these shows, I have come to the conclusion that watching wrestling live will automatically make it twice as fun. And it goes back to the crowd thing. There is so much energy in the crowd and being one the first shows after such a long hiatus it was off the charts.
Yeap, this is why I always vouched for PWG and why I even vouch for stuff like Gatoh Move, the experience of being there live, especially with smaller shows with good energy, can make a show/match just become something huge, waaay bigger than seeing it on video. More than the super-indie or the meme wrestling, I think this is why promotions like PWG, PROGRESS, the Janela Spreakbreaks, or even ROH and ECW at one point, got huge to begin with, they offered not only good wrestling, but an environment, that once you're there, it's intoxicating in a good way, and when you in video see people having fun, then you want to have fun too.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » May 17th, '21, 12:21

There is definitely something special about live wrestling. I go to the WWE shows every chance I get (usually once a year in pre-covid times), and even if it’s only B level guys, it’s so enjoyable.

Not the last show I went to, but the one before that, I saw Charlotte and Asuka absolutely kill it. I left feeling like I didn’t pay enough money for my ticket and it was even better than their Wrestlemania match. This doesn’t happen often, but it was the best match on the card that night (the women’s matches aren’t usually Charlotte/Asuka quality).

And seeing the wrestlers just let loose and have fun because there are no cameras just adds to the fun! Not long ago at a show the Miz was talking about how he was the “Calgary Kid” on that one episode of (I think) RAW, and even though he was a heel, everyone was cheering for him and chanting Calgary Kid! Live wrestling is a special thing.

Earth Child

Post by Earth Child » Jul 4th, '21, 20:54

cero2k wrote: May 13th, '21, 20:11 I think this is why promotions like PWG, PROGRESS, the Janela Spreakbreaks, or even ROH and ECW at one point, got huge to begin with, they offered not only good wrestling, but an environment, that once you're there, it's intoxicating in a good way, and when you in video see people having fun, then you want to have fun too.
Going to shamelessly bump my own post (it’s also been awhile since I’ve been able to log in and I wanted to respond)

So true! I don’t even wait for the card announcements anymore. I just buy a ticket because I know I’ll be entertained. There is a serious feeling of FOMO if I can’t make a show.
Serujuunin wrote: May 17th, '21, 12:21 And seeing the wrestlers just let loose and have fun because there are no cameras just adds to the fun! Not long ago at a show the Miz was talking about how he was the “Calgary Kid” on that one episode of (I think) RAW, and even though he was a heel, everyone was cheering for him and chanting Calgary Kid! Live wrestling is a special thing
I noticed this too going WWE live events. It’s like the stern parent has gone away and the fun babysitter is here and let’s you get away with so much more. We usually got sent the C crew too with one or two main eventers but it was still a blast.

Serujuunin

Post by Serujuunin » Jul 5th, '21, 12:34

Earth Child wrote: Jul 4th, '21, 20:54
cero2k wrote: May 13th, '21, 20:11 I think this is why promotions like PWG, PROGRESS, the Janela Spreakbreaks, or even ROH and ECW at one point, got huge to begin with, they offered not only good wrestling, but an environment, that once you're there, it's intoxicating in a good way, and when you in video see people having fun, then you want to have fun too.
Going to shamelessly bump my own post (it’s also been awhile since I’ve been able to log in and I wanted to respond)

So true! I don’t even wait for the card announcements anymore. I just buy a ticket because I know I’ll be entertained. There is a serious feeling of FOMO if I can’t make a show.
Serujuunin wrote: May 17th, '21, 12:21 And seeing the wrestlers just let loose and have fun because there are no cameras just adds to the fun! Not long ago at a show the Miz was talking about how he was the “Calgary Kid” on that one episode of (I think) RAW, and even though he was a heel, everyone was cheering for him and chanting Calgary Kid! Live wrestling is a special thing
I noticed this too going WWE live events. It’s like the stern parent has gone away and the fun babysitter is here and let’s you get away with so much more. We usually got sent the C crew too with one or two main eventers but it was still a blast.
All the house shows seem to have this formula of a few midcarders and one or two big names, which kind of sucks, but it’s still a blast.