Some Roman Egyptian Kayfabe brother!

Tell it to the world!!
NWK2000

Some Roman Egyptian Kayfabe brother!

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 5th, '21, 19:43

[tweet][/tweet]
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Some Roman Egyptian Kayfabe brother!

Post by cero2k » Jul 5th, '21, 22:01

Legend has it, that was the first ever Wrestling Observer Newsletter

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Jul 5th, '21, 23:53

Okay... not to turn what's supposed to be a fun thread into something serious, but Cero's characterization of this got me thinking:

At what point does a fixed fight become pro wrestling?
Is a boxer taking a dive for a payoff pro wrestling? Or does there need to be some sort of give-and-take compromise like Gotch and Hackenschmidt agreed to, where "you'll win, but you need to give me a fall, too, so I look decent in defeat?

Personally, I think there needs to be some sort of intention to set up a return, even if it's something as simple as "we'll make sure all of the matches are exciting so that people will want to come back when we announce the next show."
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Jul 6th, '21, 07:48

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 5th, '21, 23:53 Okay... not to turn what's supposed to be a fun thread into something serious, but Cero's characterization of this got me thinking:

Is a boxer taking a dive for a payoff pro wrestling? Or does there need to be some sort of give-and-take compromise like Gotch and Hackenschmidt agreed to, where "you'll win, but you need to give me a fall, too, so I look decent in defeat?

Personally, I think there needs to be some sort of intention to set up a return, even if it's something as simple as "we'll make sure all of the matches are exciting so that people will want to come back when we announce the next show."
I think it becomes pro wrestling when the idea of the fixing is to establish a 'program', not in the storyline sense, but in the idea that we're fixing this match so we can sell tickets for the next show and so on. When two guys decide to start a business of pretending to fight and go town to town and pretend they hate each other. More than fixing the match, I think what makes pro wrestling what it is is the "let's not hurt each other so we can do this again tomorrow night"

Fixing a boxing match, be it for bets or because such and such has too much of an ego, sounds more like crooked fixing, one time things

NWK2000

Post by NWK2000 » Jul 12th, '21, 18:15

Big Red Machine wrote: Jul 5th, '21, 23:53 Okay... not to turn what's supposed to be a fun thread into something serious, but Cero's characterization of this got me thinking:

Basically what Cero said, and also it's not "making a fun thread serious" if you pose a thought provoking question.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.