CM Punk's Return: The Veils it lifted

Tell it to the world!!
NWK2000

CM Punk's Return: The Veils it lifted

Post by NWK2000 » Aug 23rd, '21, 22:44

Like all of us, I watched, heart beating a million miles an hour, as "Cult of Personality" hit in the NOW Arena, and the raucous cheer, equivalent with the election of a beloved political figure, could be heard. And, like most of us, I've watched it a million times over a few days. And I realized, after studying the intricacies of the moment, that I was seeing wrestling in a whole new light, lifting the veil that I'd been wearing while watching wrestling for 20+ years. Let's start with the obvious.

Execution

The short synopsis of this is, they let the moment ride. CM Punk got to bask in the glory of the fans, the fans got to bask in what I'm sure was a magical moment live. Wrestling seems to be constantly moving to the next thing, illustrated most prominently by Mike Tenay's infamous TNA line "to the back." To site a less chaotic example, WWE, despite their millions of hours of weekly content, always seem to be pushing towards the next feud. Heartfelt promos are often interrupted to push to for the next feud, or, more modernly, for some dumb comedy segment, oft featuring otherwise interesting babyfaces (Sufferin' Succotash) or heels. I assure you if this were booked by the brain trust at WWE, MJF would've come out, made a joke about his UFC career, and, best case scenario, gotten GTSed, or worst case, gotten beaten down by MJF and Wardlow until another babyface made the save, taking out all the momentum out of it.

Pacing

You know CM Punk is going to be there, you know the fans are going to be chanting for him all night, so why not bring him out early? I assure you WWE would've kept Punk in the back till the main event, all the while Vince told the commentators to not mention the chants, all while the bigwigs scratched their heads, wondering, "Why are the fans ruining our shooooow?" I'm not saying fans should get what they want all the time, but have your on the fans and eyes on the rumor mill, and if something unfounded is happening, address it as soon as possible. Conversely, if the fans have you figure out, trot it out so that the whole night isn't ruined. Again, I get that there are some story things that necessitate waiting for the main event, but if it's something hotly anticipated, it's disrespectful to the other workers who have to work with that fan expectation hanging over them like a black cloud.

CM Punk himself

A very dear friend of mine began his life as a wrestling fan, admiring CM Punk because his position spoke to him, a punk rocker who didn't exactly look like the other wrestlers on WWE TV, and he brought up a very interesting point as we discussed Punk's return. In eight years, as CM Punk "Micheal Jordan's baseball career" his way through other endeavors, it was easy to fall into a hater's narrative. A bitter, unathletic nerd who walked out on the one thing that gave him even a semblance of success. But seeing that reception in a wrestling ring reminds us that he is the man to the city of Chicago, and people all over the world.

In conclusion, CM Punk's return and AEW's handling of it made me see wrestling in a whole new, fan-friendly light.
NWK Reviews is closed for business for now.

cero2k
Site Admin

Re: CM Punk's Return: The Veils it lifted

Post by cero2k » Aug 24th, '21, 13:12

NWK2000 wrote: Aug 23rd, '21, 22:44

In conclusion, CM Punk's return and AEW's handling of it made me see wrestling in a whole new, fan-friendly light.
It was perfectly handled, we didn't need angles or anything like that, we all just wanted to see Punk again and let him talk. We will have time to explore everything else. And i think bringing him out first was in addition to what you said, that it's a show that starts late on a friday, I think everyone who tuned in would have watched, but no reason to keep them waiting. By all means, maybe more people stayed because of it, hoping for more.

Big Red Machine

Re: CM Punk's Return: The Veils it lifted

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 25th, '21, 21:57

cero2k wrote: Aug 24th, '21, 13:12
NWK2000 wrote: Aug 23rd, '21, 22:44

It was perfectly handled, we didn't need angles or anything like that, we all just wanted to see Punk again and let him talk. We will have time to explore everything else. And i think bringing him out first was in addition to what you said, that it's a show that starts late on a friday, I think everyone who tuned in would have watched, but no reason to keep them waiting. By all means, maybe more people stayed because of it, hoping for more.
This.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3