cero2k
Site Admin

Re: Day-to-Day Quote Topic

Post by cero2k » Apr 15th, '22, 11:01

About the tall dude's debut that I still haven't memorized his name

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 15th, '22, 11:05

That's a REALLY clever idea, and I don't think I've ever seen it before.
Hold #712: ARM BAR!

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation
PWG All-Star Weekend V: Night 2
DGUSA Open the Ultimate Gate 2013
ROH/CMLL Global Wars Espectacular: Day 3

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 21st, '22, 18:54

it's bound to happen one day anyway

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 23rd, '22, 22:51

cero2k wrote: Apr 21st, '22, 18:54 it's bound to happen one day anyway

This doesn't jump out to me as two guys with styles that will mesh well, but hopefully they can pull it off.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 24th, '22, 17:51

Big Red Machine wrote: Apr 23rd, '22, 22:51

This doesn't jump out to me as two guys with styles that will mesh well, but hopefully they can pull it off.
it be 15 minutes building to see who hits the GTS first, i don't think anyone should expect a workrate match

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » Apr 28th, '22, 21:11

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Apr 28th, '22, 23:15

cero2k wrote: Apr 28th, '22, 21:11
The ring didn't break. The ropes broke. If you tell me the "ring breaks," I'm expecting Brock vs. Big Show.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 2nd, '22, 15:38

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 2nd, '22, 15:52

cero2k wrote: May 2nd, '22, 15:38
I'm a little surprised this happened already, now that his wife and all of his friends are in AEW.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 2nd, '22, 15:54

Big Red Machine wrote: May 2nd, '22, 15:52 I'm a little surprised this happened already, now that his wife and all of his friends are in AEW.
i swear he signed a new contract not long ago, right? that was a quick turn around. I'm guessing Stokely getting fired opened his eyes that the whole reason he was there was to put over those two diamond thing dudes

Thelone

Post by Thelone » May 3rd, '22, 08:36

cero2k wrote: May 2nd, '22, 15:54i swear he signed a new contract not long ago, right? that was a quick turn around. I'm guessing Stokely getting fired opened his eyes that the whole reason he was there was to put over those two diamond thing dudes
I'm sure Roddy always knew he was in that faction to help the Creeds and Nile to a lesser extent. He had a bunch of dark try-outs alongside Ciampa/LA Knight/Butch a few months ago and considering those three are in the MR while Strong's been putting people over in NXT and UK, it's safe to say that this door is closed now, forbidden even. Maybe they tried to move him to a trainer role (like Athena a while ago apparently) and he declined, so now he's trying to be let go because he knows a certain someone really wants the complete Undisputed Era set to play with and will pay the price for it (also he already hired his wife despite her being awful).

Anyway, that'll be $12,99 please.

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 6th, '22, 12:17

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '22, 12:25

Dave in this week's Observer wrote:Kota Ibushi, the New Japan star who is among the most physically talented wrestlers who has ever lived, may not be long for the promotion after a Twitter tirade that included claims of everything from Yakuza involvement to sexual harassment.

It should be noted that he is not claiming any of that happened to him, but he has his own very deep issues with the company right now. But he is talking about going public to the press in Japan to expose nasty details of the company and wants his release.

His issues are publicly with Kikuchi, who he posted a private twitter back-and-forth where he talked wanting to quit the promotion, as well as company President Takami Ohbari, who he never mentioned in his tweets but is upset with, feeling that the company has taken advantage of him.

Booker Gedo has been trying to play peacemaker and get both sides back on the same page. Ibushi was saying that based on what he’s said publicly that he doesn’t think he can go back.

This seems like kind of a big deal. Either the allegations are true and everything blows up, or they're false and one of the top wrestlers in the world has lost his mind and is on a vendetta.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '22, 12:33

Big Red Machine wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:25
This seems like kind of a big deal. Either the allegations are true and everything blows up, or they're false and one of the top wrestlers in the world has lost his mind and is on a vendetta.
Up to this point, I honestly believe this is just bad reporting from everyone involved, from bad translations to lack of understanding of what is going on. Kinda waiting to see if Fumi Saito talks bout it on a show. I'd trust him more

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 13th, '22, 12:43

cero2k wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:33
Up to this point, I honestly believe this is just bad reporting from everyone involved, from bad translations to lack of understanding of what is going on. Kinda waiting to see if Fumi Saito talks bout it on a show. I'd trust him more
So are you saying that there is a mistranslation, or that Dave/whoever are missing something in Ibushi's tone? I don't read Japanese, but it seems kind of cut and dry if he is actually going to Twitter and making claims of Yakuza involvement/sexual harassment (and if the former is true, it could have big repercussions for Stardom as well).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

cero2k
Site Admin

Post by cero2k » May 13th, '22, 18:00

Big Red Machine wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:43
So are you saying that there is a mistranslation, or that Dave/whoever are missing something in Ibushi's tone? I don't read Japanese, but it seems kind of cut and dry if he is actually going to Twitter and making claims of Yakuza involvement/sexual harassment (and if the former is true, it could have big repercussions for Stardom as well).
a little bit of both, one of the earlier translations said that TAKA, Taichi, and Kikuichi were 'cheats', meaning cheat on their partners, but also that they were cheating out the boys backstage. Later on someone corrected that it was only the former. I think that having random fans do the translations or using google translate is screwing up a lot of the meaning, and surely, I can see Dave not getting the 'tone' right, it wouldn't be the first time.

There's definitely something going on, but I think some of the details are not 100%

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » May 14th, '22, 19:07

cero2k wrote: May 13th, '22, 18:00
Big Red Machine wrote: May 13th, '22, 12:43

a little bit of both, one of the earlier translations said that TAKA, Taichi, and Kikuichi were 'cheats', meaning cheat on their partners, but also that they were cheating out the boys backstage. Later on someone corrected that it was only the former. I think that having random fans do the translations or using google translate is screwing up a lot of the meaning, and surely, I can see Dave not getting the 'tone' right, it wouldn't be the first time.

There's definitely something going on, but I think some of the details are not 100%
Dave really shouldn't have reported anything before speaking with someone who can translate well (looking at you Fumi Saito). I mean... no one should have, but someone like Dave with a freakin' journalism degree should know better.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Aug 21st, '22, 09:17

Here's an interesting Tidbit from an Eric Krol guest editorial for the Torch about Tony Khan's various recent or upcoming challenges (bolding by me):
Who can Tony Khan bring into the mix as leverage against Warner-Discovery?

He hasn’t publicly talked about that, though. Perhaps it’s because he doesn’t want to antagonize his broadcast partner with more than two years remaining on the current deal when talks may not have even started as Warner-Discovery finds its footing. There’s another possibility, albeit one that’s murkier: Does Warner-Discovery own a piece of AEW? Brandon Thurston of Wrestlenomics has posited that Warner Bros. has at least some ownership stake. While it’s speculation, it’s informed speculation.

After all, Thurston took over Wrestlenomics from Chris Harrington, who is AEW’s senior vice president of business strategy. If it’s true, Khan would have cut that deal to get AEW on TV. Why does it matter? Warner-Discovery owning even a small piece could restrict AEW from negotiating with other potential TV partners. That reduces its leverage and could leave it at the mercy of Discovery, which so far has only shown an interest in deep spending cuts. AEW’s public relations team did not respond to a question about whether Warner-Discovery has a stake in the company.

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Sep 5th, '22, 13:51

Ricky Starks wrote: “The locker room has definitely changed. I mean, where we were once really, really close, we’ve expanded that and we’re still close, but we just have more people in the family now, more people that sit at the table…

I definitely think that the drama of the backstage stuff, while it does pique the interest of people online and whatnot, I fu**ing hate it. The reason I hate it is because it kind of overshadows some of the stuff that happens on TV…

I’d rather not be involved with it. But we have people backstage who have loose lips, and that’s what happens. Now we have created the scenario where we just have all the rumors and speculation because that’s all it is. I promise you what you read is not necessarily true.”
via wrestlingnews.co (Transcription)

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation

Big Red Machine

Post by Big Red Machine » Oct 5th, '22, 21:37

On this week's between the sheets, Kris Zellner made an interesting comparison between Vince's outlook in his final years and Giant Baba's ("my way is the best," not changing with the times, especially in regards to pushing smaller wrestlers, unwillingness to acknowledge other promotions).

Upcoming Reviews:
FIP in 2005
ROH Validation